Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-13-2016, 02:47 PM   #1

Reese SideWinder + Reese Lube Plate - Dangerous advice from Reese

Having used hitch lube grease on my Reese Titan 16K hitch, with the Reese Revolution/Sidewinder pin box on our 5er, I was fed up of all the mess from the grease (and the grease I was using seemed to work more as an adhesive than a lube sometimes, almost sealing the pin plate to the hitch).

I was delighted to discover the Reese 83003 lube plate, specifically for the Reese Titan 16K hitch, and which looked like it should be compatible with the Revolution/Sidewinder, since rather than the usual lube discs it's shaped to fit the hitch head.

Doing due diligence I contacted Reese technical support, asking them to confirm that the lube plate was compatible with the Revolution Sidewinder.

Their response: -
"Yes, you can use the 83003 on the Titan hitch with a Sidewinder pin box. Lube plates that go on the pin box will NOT work."

I ordered one of these lube plates from Amazon, but the first came missing the bolts to secure it to the hitch head, so I got a replacement.

I next noticed that the protrusions on the underside of the lube plate, which are designed to sit inside the indentations on the hitch head, were too far apart and prevented the lube plate from sitting flat on the hitch head.
Reese have not responded to requests for feedback on that issue.

However, before proceeding further in chasing them on that issue, I decided to actually take the lube plate over to our storage lot, and check that it would really work with the Revolution/Sidewinder pin box.
I took the wedge off the revolution, and as you can see from the photo below, it is anything but compatible.

If someone were to actually follow Reese's suggestion that the Lube plate is compatible with the SideWinder/Revolution then they'd have a wedge which barely makes contact with the inside of the hitch head, and is instead only really making contact with the lube plate 'plastic'. Obviously a very dangerous setup.

I've contacted Reese to advise them of this error, and suggest that they change their response to such inquiries, but I'll have to wait to see if they respond.

In the meantime I just wanted to warn folks that could possibly be considering using the Reese lube plate with a SideWinder/Revolution, especially since it seems from first look as though that's exactly what the lube plate is designed for (since it's not one of the common lube discs, and looks like it should be ok)
Old 04-14-2016, 11:21 AM   #2

Hey Leefl I am using the same setup with the fifth airborne sidewinder and the Titan and was thinking about the lube plate. Please keep us posted on Reese's response.

Robert
2012 RAM 3500 Cummins
Laramie Longhorn w/rambox
2015 Wildcat 317RL
2015 Wildcat 317RL
weldon182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 01:16 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by weldon182 View Post
Hey Leefl I am using the same setup with the fifth airborne sidewinder and the Titan and was thinking about the lube plate. Please keep us posted on Reese's response.
Will do. They've asked me to send in a photo of the hitch head and the lube plate, as if they either don't remember what they're supposed to look like, or they think I'm lying about what hitch I have. I don't understand it.

The picture that I posted above is all they should need. Seems pretty obvious to me.

Have you been using any grease/lube between the hitch head and sidewinder, or been using it 'dry' ?
Old 04-14-2016, 01:30 PM   #4

Just dry however I have ordered the lube plate. But looking at your picture maybe I will cut those spots off where it interferes.

Robert
2012 RAM 3500 Cummins
2015 Wildcat 317RL
2015 Wildcat 317RL
Old 04-14-2016, 01:37 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by weldon182 View Post
Just dry however I have ordered the lube plate. But looking at your picture maybe I will cut those spots off where it interferes.

Robert
2012 RAM 3500 Cummins
2015 Wildcat 317RL
I have thought about doing the same. However, do be warned that on both of the lube plates that I ordered the molding indents (where the bolts are supposed to go through into the head) do not fit into the matching indents in the hitch head. It's like they're about 3/16 too wide (and of course you can't trim the moldings since they're indents, and would leave a hole between the indented portion and the non-indented portion, thus weakening the point where the lube plate is supposed to be attached.

My additional (slight) concern is that due to the thickness of the lube plate the wedge will be higher in the hitch head slot, and thus still be making less contact with the hitch head, even if it were all the way in.
Old 04-14-2016, 03:07 PM   #6

Looks like Reese have admitted that they were wrong to suggest that the 83003 lube plate could be used with the Revolution/Sidewinder (when unlocked with wedge): -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reese Technical Support
I was just talking with our supervisor and he indicated the instruction sheet for the 30865 was up dated and it indicates not to use any lube plate when a sidewinder pin box is used including the custom lube plate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Updated Manual for the Reese Titan Sidewinder/Revolution Wedge
3. Remove any lube plate used on the hitch and pin box. This will allow full engagement of wedge against opening of Titan Hitch (The need for a lube plate is NOT needed because pin box does not rotate on hitch)
As for the lube plate not matching the imprints on the hitch, we will document for any further calls as of this time no one has heard of this issue.
Old 04-14-2016, 03:09 PM   #7

I still think some kind of lube is needed for when hitching up, but I won't be using the lube that I had been using because of the resulting sticky mess.
I think I'll also make some sort of bed-protector, to stop any of whatever lube I do use (likely WD40 lithium or similar) dripping down and getting under the gaps in my bedliner (where I cut it around the rails)
Old 04-14-2016, 03:19 PM   #8

Thanks for the info

Robert
2012 RAM 3500 Cummins
2015 Wildcat 317RL
2015 Wildcat 317RL
Old 04-14-2016, 03:21 PM   #9
Mod free 5er

What benefit is a lube plate with a Sidewinder with a wedge? I just spray a little white lithium on the ramp of the hitch. It stays on the front of the pin box and the hitch ramp, not on the hitch flat portion itself. After 4 yrs, the paint is still 75% present, but most of what is gone is from the tonneau cover rubbing on it.
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 03:21 PM   #10

Send a message via AIM to B and B
I use standard wheel bearing grease on the pin, wedge and plate. The other parts inside my Reese hitch I use some lithium or just a little grease. My hitch will go in tomorrow and stay in til end of October and I do not get any grease anywhere. I use a bag on top so it doesn't rub on the tonneau cover like OC has happen.
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 03:25 PM   #11

Since when does Cequents recommend a lube plate when the wedge is installed? In fact they tell you to take it off. If your wedge is set correctly it would be impossible to use one unless you made a cut out. also that would raise your wedge above the jaws of the hitch even more, what ever thickness the plate is. All I grease is the wedge and pin, never had a problem in 4 years and over 15,000 miles. This is new to me but they do change there minds on things....

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 03:29 PM   #12

Send a message via AIM to B and B
Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
Since when does Cequents recommend a lube plate when the wedge is installed? In fact they tell you to take it off. If your wedge is set correctly it would be impossible to use one unless you made a cut out. also that would raise your wedge above the jaws of the hitch even more, what ever thickness the plate is. All I grease is the wedge and pin, never had a problem in 4 years and over 15,000 miles. This is new to me but they do change there minds on things....
You also need to grease the revolution bearing as well. That is a change according to last year at Goshen. I bet your new hitch is well greases at the pivot too!!
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 03:32 PM   #13
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by B and B View Post
You also need to grease the revolution bearing as well. That is a change according to last year at Goshen. I bet your new hitch is well greases at the pivot too!!
The 2 engineers that designed it must have quit or got fired. They were emphatic about NOT greasing the pivot shaft in the rear. I will leave mine without grease as I don't want to 'chase' it around when hitching up.
Old 04-14-2016, 03:33 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
I've been lubing the hitch head flat surface to make hitching easier/smoother (in theory)

I saw the 83003 lube plate and thought it looked like it should fit/work from first look, so I emailed them.
The initial response I got from them was: -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reese Technical Support
Yes, you can use the 83003 on the Titan hitch with a Sidewinder pin box. Lube plates that go on the pin box will NOT work.

Thank you for contacting the Technical Group.

Cequent Performance Products
My original question had been: -
Quote:
I want to confirm whether the Reese part 83003 Titan 16K Fifth Wheel Lube Plate is compatible with the Revolution (aka Sidewinder) 10K pin box setup (unlocked, with wedge fitted).It looks like its designed for the purpose, since it fits the shape of the hitch, unlike traditional circular lube plates which wont work with a Revolution pin box, but I wanted to confirm before ordering.Thanks
Old 04-15-2016, 12:40 PM   #15

I've had sidewinders on my last 2 rigs. LOVE THEM! I always used the standard teflon lube plate on the kingpin side. I just cut off enough of the teflon plate so it would fit around the key. Cheap and easy. Then about a year ago the lube plate fell off and I didn't notice any difference. Now I do what was suggested above and spray the hitch head with a little silicon before I hook up. Even easier!!!
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 01:07 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
What benefit is a lube plate with a Sidewinder with a wedge? I just spray a little white lithium on the ramp of the hitch. It stays on the front of the pin box and the hitch ramp, not on the hitch flat portion itself. After 4 yrs, the paint is still 75% present, but most of what is gone is from the tonneau cover rubbing on it.
I agree with OldCoot on this one; what's the point of any lube plate when using a Sidewinder or Revolution. The only movement there is during hitch and unhitch. The pivot occurs at the top end of the pinbox, not on the skid plate.
frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 02:17 PM   #17

Was just lubing the plate to make the hitch and unhitch smoother, but based on feedback from folks here I may just use a little lithium spray instead.
My hitch plate already has several bare spots, which started to rust since I removed the grease at the weekend. I may clean the rust off and give it a quick touch-up with some paint in the next week or so
Old 04-15-2016, 02:23 PM   #18

I find spraying the underneath side of the side winder where it contacts the receiver while hooking up with Silicone makes it much easier. No mess either. I also put two telescopic magnetic pickups in the bed lined up with the pin center line did wonders. I back up to it and get them close as possible then if not perfect I pull up and get them lined up as pull forward and the it is a matter of just backing straight into it. A backup camera mounted to the center stop light would be nice as some of the new trucks have. Love the way the hitch works, just pain to hook up unless perfectly lined up.
Ke5rbd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 02:30 PM   #19

I've gotten pretty good at lining up, so long as I remove the rear center headrest first. I use a combination of the tailgate backup camera and looking through the rear window to get close, then drop the tailgate and check alignment from the trailer end (adjusting if necessary)
then just hook up the cable, adjust height of pinbox, unlock hitch, and back up until engaged (and then follow rest of normal hookup procedure of course)

First few times was a lot more messing about, but now it's normally fairly quick.
Old 04-15-2016, 02:52 PM   #20
Mod free 5er

I just remove the drivers side of the Undercover tonneau cover, leave the passenger side on and use the rear view mirror and back up. Have about 1.5" clearance on the passenger side between the pinbox and the tonneau cover.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00061.JPG
Views:	146
Size:	155.9 KB
ID:	105008