Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-31-2018, 12:05 PM   #1

Reese slider hitch noise

We just got back from a short trip and I've got some hitch questions. I have a older Reese square hitch slider (RP 30051) and it has a lot of popping noises. I got my son to watch the hitch at a stop/start and he said he saw movement in the jaws with the kingpin moving back and forth some and he saw the slider handle move some. I got him to get in the truck and hold the trailer brakes and go back and forth and there is some slack in the jaws. The hitch came with the camper and they used it on 2 campers before this one. I'd guess it to be 10years old minimum. How much movement/ noise should I expect? I have a short bed 2500 Chevy and I've yet to use the slider but it's nice to know it's there if I did need it.
Rbare31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 12:17 PM   #2

Every fiver hitch setup has some kingpin slop, and every hitch has some popping noises. Mine comes mainly from where the hitch tabs go into the bed rails.

I would take your hitch head apart, or at least inspect it, and look for wear and decide if it's time for a new one.

I have a 20 year old Reese standard hitch with a sidewinder kingpin. The truck hitch has been in 4 (maybe five) trucks. No undo wear yet. Used new bolts at every switch.

I have to admit, I keep looking at all the new hitches and it is tempting to get a new one
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 01:51 PM   #3

I went out and looked closer at the hitch and there seems to be slack everywhere. Plus there’s a piece of the framework that’s bent. It looks like the kingpin is going forward enough to contact the steel plate on its bottom edge and bend it. I’ll post some pics.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3789B8A2-2C07-4D86-8991-E4C32B210ABC.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	305.0 KB
ID:	166703   Click image for larger version

Name:	DF28C274-8F77-4417-ADD9-E291D1BBE057.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	283.3 KB
ID:	166704  
Old 04-02-2018, 08:32 AM   #4

Anymore opinions?
Old 04-02-2018, 08:41 AM   #5

Can't see anything wrong from the pics. If you are unsure about the hitch, take it to a dealer or installer and have them inspect it for you. Or just buy a new one for your peace of mind. Good luck!
Old 04-02-2018, 12:40 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
Can't see anything wrong from the pics. If you are unsure about the hitch, take it to a dealer or installer and have them inspect it for you. Or just buy a new one for your peace of mind. Good luck!
It’s hard to see but there’s a piece of square stock in the middle of the pic and the paint is cracked off on each side of it and it’s rusted because it’s bent down. Looks like the kingpin rides up on this part or bangs into it and has bent it. I’m leaning toward the B&W patriot slider just for the peace of mind your talking about. I don’t have anything to compare the noisy hitch to is why I wanted some opinions. Thanks NM WILDCAT.
Also, should the slider handle move/jump at each stop/start?
Old 04-02-2018, 01:01 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbare31 View Post
It’s hard to see but there’s a piece of square stock in the middle of the pic and the paint is cracked off on each side of it and it’s rusted because it’s bent down. Looks like the kingpin rides up on this part or bangs into it and has bent it. I’m leaning toward the B&W patriot slider just for the peace of mind your talking about. I don’t have anything to compare the noisy hitch to is why I wanted some opinions. Thanks NM WILDCAT.
I have the Patriot Slider after dumping a Reese. The Reese was only 2 years old and I'd not even give it to anyone to use. If you get the Patriot you will like it a lot!
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 01:10 PM   #8
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

I have a Reese 16K Pro Slider in my 2015 Chevy 2500HD...

I haven't had to use it (slider) yet, but I like having it just in case!

Mine is pretty quiet...makes a few clunking sounds when I take off for the first time after hitchup, and is quiet after that.

I just bought some little lock thingies for it as someone tried to steal my hitch a while back.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TruckRubberMat-P1010995.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	744.4 KB
ID:	166964  
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 04:43 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbare31 View Post
I would expect any mechanism like your slider lock handle to jump slightly when pressure is added/relieved when you start or stop while connected.

Sounds as though you just don't trust this hitch. Nothing will fix that unless you change your mind or have a brand new installed

But, like I stated before, I don't know of any fiver hitches/mounts that are noise free. And I've investigated lots of different brands when I see someone with a new hitch
Old 04-04-2018, 04:35 AM   #10

Quote:
Every fiver hitch setup has some kingpin slop, and every hitch has some popping noises. Mine comes mainly from where the hitch tabs go into the bed rails.

I would take your hitch head apart, or at least inspect it, and look for wear and decide if it's time for a new one.

I have a 20 year old Reese standard hitch with a sidewinder kingpin. The truck hitch has been in 4 (maybe five) trucks. No undo wear yet. Used new bolts at every switch.

I have to admit, I keep looking at all the new hitches and it is tempting to get a new one
You might consider these rail sound dampeners to see if they help mitigate some of the clunking.

https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories...urt/16900.html

As others have said, all fifth wheels have some slop and sliders are especially prone to this, but I installed these and they help A LOT!
Old 04-04-2018, 10:20 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasReid View Post
You might consider these rail sound dampeners to see if they help mitigate some of the clunking.

https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories...urt/16900.html

As others have said, all fifth wheels have some slop and sliders are especially prone to this, but I installed these and they help A LOT!
I will look at these. Thanks!
Old 04-04-2018, 06:31 PM   #12

Quote:
I will look at these. Thanks!
If you buy and install them, let everyone else here know how they worked out. They can be used with ALL Fifth Wheel hitches that use the bed rail type mounts, not just sliders.
Old 04-04-2018, 09:20 PM   #13

Deal. Will order them tomorrow.
Old 04-04-2018, 09:51 PM   #14

Might be something I need to look at myself. Thanks

Tags
hitch, noise, slide