Old 05-18-2013, 06:24 PM   #1

Remedial math and towing

Completely new to trailers. Also math challenged, to say the least. If you can help with this, I'll be very thankful.

I drive a 2013 Ford explorer, 4WD, with factory installed class III tow package, tow rated at 5000 lbs, max. hitch 500 lbs. The GCVW of the Explorer is 10160 lbs.

I am thinking of buying a Wildwood 171exl with a dry weight of 3350 lbs, dry hitch of 450 lbs, and a max loaded weight of 3884.

Question, can I pull this trailer?

Old 05-18-2013, 06:38 PM   #2

Well, a few things to keep in mind. Where will you be towing? Lots of hills or flat plains? Any family in vehicle with you?

As someone who used to tow his trailer of same weight with a 4wd Honda Pilot, found myself struggling on inclines and running the motor at full power at high elevations. Decided to upgrade the tow vehicle rather than worry about where we were going.

Second, does anyone else think that the margins between dry weight and fully loaded weight seem really close?

If possible, see if you can take the trailer for a "test tow". I had many white knuckle experiences with strong crosswinds or semi's and busses passing causing sway and made it not so fun of a trip. Get to know what you would be getting into before you buy it and regret.

Just glad to get away
HONDAMAN174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 06:52 PM   #3

Everyone needs to find their own comfort level when towing. We have the identical TV and are towing a sp-220 (5000 lbs). Yes we struggle on hills but we don't venture into the mountains anyway. I would like at the full loaded weight again. It sounds very close to the dry weight. You also need to consider what you are taking (and who). We travel light. No water no waste and its just me and the wife. Also the right hitch makes a huge difference. Previous we had a 2000 lbs pop up and towed with an escape and no WD hitch. All though we were barely over half of towing capacity the pup through the escape around a whole lot worse than the surveyor does our explorer
Old 05-18-2013, 08:57 PM   #4
Moderators' Assistant

that trailer tongue weight, when loaded, will exceed the 500lbs. limit of your Ford.
you need to see what the limit is when using a WDH, because you'll need one to be able to tow this trailer.
your manual should state a max tongue weight with and without a WDH.
if it's still 500lbs., that trailer will easily exceed the 500lbs. when you add 40lbs. of propane, a 40lbs. battery, the weights of water and cargo and finally the weight of the WDH.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 09:09 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recusant View Post
Completely new to trailers. Also math challenged, to say the least. If you can help with this, I'll be very thankful.

I drive a 2013 Ford explorer, 4WD, with factory installed class III tow package, tow rated at 5000 lbs, max. hitch 500 lbs. The GCVW of the Explorer is 10160 lbs.

I am thinking of buying a Wildwood 171exl with a dry weight of 3350 lbs, dry hitch of 450 lbs, and a max loaded weight of 3884.

Oh and don't worry to much about hitch weight. It is a small light trailer.

Question, can I pull this trailer?

The curb weight for your 2013 Ford Explorer 4x4 is 4697 lbs
Add fuel weight and passengers and stuff and add that to 4,697 lb
So lets say it equals 5,000 lbs

Now you add your trailer weight max 3,884 lb

Total GCVW 8,884 Lbs which leave you 1,276 lbs to spare.
Like others have said in most case you have no issues unless you regularly go into high altitude passes say 10,000 ft and above may slow you down a little.

Does this sound understandable?

Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 09:26 PM   #6

Ford does not state difference with or without WDH for whatever reason. I am not sure why this is the case. There is ample carrying capacity (unless you are loaded with 7 200 lbs people).
Old 05-18-2013, 09:41 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanddc View Post
Ford does not state difference with or without WDH for whatever reason. I am not sure why this is the case. There is ample carrying capacity (unless you are loaded with 7 200 lbs people).
You noticed that too, huh? Yea it says over 3500 lbs to use WDH but doesn't give any numbers to use. One item I did notice was the note to SUBTRACT 2% (200 lbs) of towing capacity for every 1000 ft in altitude. That was a big deal for me for the mountain camping we were doing. I was technically at my limits before we left the house. Then when climbing up the mountain, it became apparant as I was at full power in 2nd gear to hold 45 mph. At 9000 ft at campground, had jjjuuusssttt enough oomph from a standing stop to climb into the campground. Being our summer getaway, we felt more comfortable upgrading TV.

But remember if you will be driving mostly level roads, you may not have my issues.

Just glad to get away
Old 05-18-2013, 11:54 PM   #8

Thank you so much for your counsel. My take-away is that I would be safest to consider a more 'robust' TV?
Old 05-19-2013, 12:33 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recusant View Post
Thank you so much for your counsel. My take-away is that I would be safest to consider a more 'robust' TV?
Well, the nice thing about these forums is that most likely that more people probably have your same TV. So, post up the question of who's towing with your TV and ask what they are pulling. Then the bouns question would be if they have a WDH.

Just glad to get away