Old 04-07-2013, 09:36 AM   #1

Renting a tow vehical

I'm interested in buying a TT, but don't want to spend money on a TV, nor on the gas required to drive it around on a daily bases, since it would have to be my primary vehicle if I did.

We are interested in a TT that would sleep four. Distance to campgrounds would be under 300 miles, no mountains. We would be using it in MN staying about three nights per trip at the many state parks and state forest campgrounds in the state.

I've read through many of the posts about weighing your rig at a scale and buying huge gas hog TV's to properly tow a TT and I'm somewhat discouraged from getting a TT. A tent trailer is not an option. I have a bad back and setup ease.is crucial. Also a pop up needs to be popped up to dry out at home if it rains the day you pack up, which means more back issues.

What type of TT can a guy get and tow safely with a 1/2 ton truck, or large SUV should I decide to go that route? I'm just looking at a starting point here without going through all the calculating, since I currently don't own either a TV, or the TT.

Does any place rent trucks with hitches besides Uhaul?

Old 04-07-2013, 09:43 AM   #2
Site Team - Lou

Rider also rents trucks.

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 09:45 AM   #3

There are plenty of TT's out there that can be towed easily with those options. Spend some time at RV shows comparing weights and floor plans until you end up with a short list of makes and models you like. It takes some time and we here can't possibly choose for you. IF your serious about camping, getting off the sofa and doing your homework is half the fun. Good luck. Let us know what you find.
1986 Marriage to "Wifey" (patience of a saint)
rattleNsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 09:54 AM   #4

generally speaking

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN_Outdoors View Post

What type of TT can a guy get and tow safely with a 1/2 ton truck?

just generally speaking
17' to 20'

Mountainman
Old 04-07-2013, 10:01 AM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN_Outdoors View Post
What type of TT can a guy get and tow safely with a 1/2 ton truck, or large SUV should I decide to go that route? I'm just looking at a starting point here without going through all the calculating, since I currently don't own either a TV, or the TT.

Does any place rent trucks with hitches besides Uhaul?
Besides the proper hitch, you will also need a tow vehicle that has a trailer electric brake controller already in it.........unless you are going to install your own each time you rent a truck.

In my opinion, this is going to limit you to rental trucks from U-haul, Ryder, Budget, or similar.......that are already setup to pull rental trailers. They may not have any 1/2 tons or SUV's setup for towing.

Depending on where you are located, you can also be at the mercy of the rental market on what's available at any certain time. I remember one time when I needed to rent a car dolly one weekend, and there were none to be had for 90 miles.

Ducks are just all-terrain chickens
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 10:15 AM   #6

a far as I know their are no hitches on rental trucks as in enterprise...... I needed a trailer moved while my truck was getting some stuff fixed and called the rental car places and they said no towing allowed

06 LBZ ,CC 4x
lots of mods
Superglide
jevanb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 10:22 AM   #7
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jevanb View Post
a far as I know their are no hitches on rental trucks as in enterprise...... I needed a trailer moved while my truck was getting some stuff fixed and called the rental car places and they said no towing allowed
Home depot rents trucks
Old 04-07-2013, 10:22 AM   #8
Trailer Trash

Rental car places that rent cars, pickups, suv, etc. such as Avis, Hertz, Enterprise don't want you towing anything with their vehicles so they don't have hitches on them.

Uhaul, Ryder, Penske, etc. have tow hitches. When you figure in gas, rental miles, and 24 hour per day rental fee, renting a pickup is very expensive. You may be better off buying a cheap entry level 1/2 ton pickup and just putting liability insurance on it. Check out www.pb4w.com for inexpensive vehicles.

That 17 foot to 20 foot comment for a travel trailer is true for a 1/2 ton pickup. Those RV's are a dime a dozen. Buy one from a reputable dealer or it may end up being a problem child. There are a bunch of dealers off hwy 10 in Anoka Ramsey area.

Some ideas for ya from a fellow MN guy. More snow this weekend. :^(
Old 04-07-2013, 10:28 AM   #9
Engineer of Crazy Train

Finding a truck to rent with brake controller and everything may be close to impossible. I have not seen any businesses into that.

As far as size of TT a 1/2 or SUV can tow is all relative to the size of the motor, truck, gearing, and experience. A novice driver at towing would not feel comfortable if the TV is small and on the edge of its capacity.
Locomotive Engineer
Nights Camping --- 2015 - 19 Camped | Winterized -- 2014 -18
Come read my Camping Blogs
ChooChooMan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 12:34 PM   #10
Moderators' Assistant

i agree with ChooChooMan, there aren't any places that rent trucks with the stuff you need to tow a TT. and if they found out you were using for that, they wouldn't rent it to you.

i tried to find one, to fly to Chicago and tow our new HTT back to California.
after a year of searching, never found anyone that would rent a truck to use this way.

2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote