Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-15-2011, 04:22 AM   #21

I am a recent diesel convert. I believe in overkill when towing, as I did manage to wreck a trailer about 8 years ago mainly due to not having enough tow vehicle. I have only had 3/4 ton trucks since. My camper can somewhat easily be towed with less truck, but at what cost?

YEs, diesel trucks cost more to buy, and DO cost more to maintain. Parts cost is much higher as is labor costs. I would NOT have a 6.0 or 6.4 ford. Cummins is great, especially the older ones, recent duramax is nice and I of course like the old 7.3 ford.
For me, it came down to how hard the truck has to work to do the same job. I had a chevy crew cab k2500 with a gas burner that easily towed my trailer even though it only got 8mpg on a good day towing. It would easily pull a grade, but had to work doing it. The diesel only notices the trailer is behind it when it hits a bump and feels the extra bounce. It gets better mileage towing and not towing than the gas burner and will not suffer the same level of wear and tear as a lesser truck when subjected to abuse.
As for the commuting, my diesel is not used for it. I do try to drive it at least once a week or so and sometimes take it as a family vehicle (crew cab) instead of the wife's yukon when we go somewhere, but I have a gas sipper to drive to work and a jeep for a weekend toy, so the diesel see most of its use with a trailer in tow, as did my k2500 gas burner.
My suggestion is, if you are considering the $$ of a new diesel, get a used truck in good shape and also a commuter car/ truck to pile the everyday miles on. If you dont have a problem with used stuff, this is actually a lot cheaper than a new $60k truck.
edman87k5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 06:18 AM   #22

Agree with all Ed except the routine maintenance costs. I change my own oil/fuel filter. Last one cost me 80 bucks. That's it for 10k miles minimum. Does Ford/GM cost more, do they require more routine maintenance?
"PT Crew Member Since 11/2010"
M109Rrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 07:46 AM   #23
Wanna Be Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by M109Rrider View Post
Agree with all Ed except the routine maintenance costs. I change my own oil/fuel filter. Last one cost me 80 bucks. That's it for 10k miles minimum. Does Ford/GM cost more, do they require more routine maintenance?
You do realize there are many people out there who for many different reasons cannot do their own maint and as to your 80 bux for 10k, it costs me abt 80 bux at the dealer for 2 oil changes in the hemi and I know everything n the truck was checked over and all fluids topped up no extra charge while I was driven to work and picked up when they were done. Hence my argument of cost. I have an 08 Hemi Megacab 4x4 and well the recommended oil change interval is 10,000km so it is not just your Cummins that has a long change interval. But I still do the 5k changes and as far as I know Dodge is the only company that puts that kind of change interval on their truck engines. And as to sparkplugs wires dist etc. I guess you haven't seen many gassers in the last bunch of years as plug wires and distributers have long gone the way of the DoDo bird and been replaced by coil on plug and I would be willing to bet a coil, plug and injector from a gasser together would cost less than one diesel injector. And I do a plug change every 100,000km which cost abt 50 bux for 16 plugs. Also a new diesel (except the dodge) needs DEF which is not cheap and I believe needs to be filled every oil change. So add that to the equation.
Understand I am not against diesels, I just don't think that just because you tow a 10k trailer a few times a year justifies the overall cost of one. If you have a use like most farmers and contractors do and use it on the weekends to tow an RV well that is totally different, or if you bought a 15k or so 5ver again a diesel is the obvious choice. I would love to have a diesel but again cannot justify having one for the above reasons and then there is the starting at -30 to -40. If I forget to plug in my hemi it will start no problems at all but a diesel, not near as easy a task. And yes I have driven diesels in the past and been on a long hill and watched an F250 walk away from me with a huge 5ver out back, sure he was gone when I got to the top of the hill but I still got to the speed limit just took longer. And I had that pang of damn that was cool but I still have my Hemi and it's 11.2 mpg average over 6000km hauling our 34ft TT.
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 08:21 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSasks View Post
You do realize there are many people out there who for many different reasons cannot do their own maint and as to your 80 bux for 10k, it costs me abt 80 bux at the dealer for 2 oil changes in the hemi and I know everything n the truck was checked over and all fluids topped up no extra charge while I was driven to work and picked up when they were done. Hence my argument of cost. I have an 08 Hemi Megacab 4x4 and well the recommended oil change interval is 10,000km so it is not just your Cummins that has a long change interval. But I still do the 5k changes and as far as I know Dodge is the only company that puts that kind of change interval on their truck engines. And as to sparkplugs wires dist etc. I guess you haven't seen many gassers in the last bunch of years as plug wires and distributers have long gone the way of the DoDo bird and been replaced by coil on plug and I would be willing to bet a coil, plug and injector from a gasser together would cost less than one diesel injector. And I do a plug change every 100,000km which cost abt 50 bux for 16 plugs. Also a new diesel (except the dodge) needs DEF which is not cheap and I believe needs to be filled every oil change. So add that to the equation.
Understand I am not against diesels, I just don't think that just because you tow a 10k trailer a few times a year justifies the overall cost of one. If you have a use like most farmers and contractors do and use it on the weekends to tow an RV well that is totally different, or if you bought a 15k or so 5ver again a diesel is the obvious choice. I would love to have a diesel but again cannot justify having one for the above reasons and then there is the starting at -30 to -40. If I forget to plug in my hemi it will start no problems at all but a diesel, not near as easy a task. And yes I have driven diesels in the past.
My question about ford/chevy maintenance was an honest question..I do not know. Also all my references to distance were in MILES not KM's which makes your maintenance comparison not even close. . My last TV had a Hemi and I'm very familiar with its capabilities and maintenance requirements. If you'll read back a few posts I'm one of the guyss that wouldn't buy a new diesel because they're over priced. A point I made in an earlier post was a newer used oil burner cost the same or less than a new gasser and will still tow better and outlast it.
Old 03-15-2011, 08:31 AM   #25

I have never paid a shop for any work except balancing tires and alignments in my life. Average Diesel maintenance and repair costs are still higher than average gas vehicles. I personally would never run anything 10k before an oil change and I use synthetics. Throwing money away? Maybe, but I have had more vehicles with over 200k on the clock than not and would go cross country in any of them.
The reason I say maint cost is usually more is parts for the heavy vehicles usually cost more and when you open the hood on a diesel, EVERY part on it costs more than most gas engines. I cant think of a gas truck engine that cant be bought for under $5k as a crate long block, some for half that. Show me a crate diesel in that range. Fuel injectors- diesel is 5-10x+ the cost of gas. Batteries- average 3x the cost for a diesel pair. The list goes on.
It is often said you cant open the hood of a diesel for under $1000, and when it comes to repairs, that is not that far off.
edman87k5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 08:32 AM   #26
Wanna Be Camper

This can be argued till the cows come home 10,000km = 7500mi.

J.D. Power reports the "diesel engine also features a life-to-major-overhaul interval of 350,000 miles and standard-duty oil-change intervals of 7500 miles.

This is the 2008 Cummins.
Old 03-15-2011, 08:38 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSasks View Post
This can be argued till the cows come home 10,000km = 7500mi.

J.D. Power reports the "diesel engine also features a life-to-major-overhaul interval of 350,000 miles and standard-duty oil-change intervals of 7500 miles.

This is the 2008 Cummins.

CORRECTION: 10,000 KMS = ~ 6,200 Miles or exactly 6,213.71
Rugged Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 08:58 AM   #28

I'm bowing out of this conversation. Gas guys can keep arguing their gas trucks and diesel guys can keep arguing their diesel trucks...I'm going camping
Old 03-15-2011, 09:39 AM   #29
Wanna Be Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by M109Rrider View Post
I'm bowing out of this conversation. Gas guys can keep arguing their gas trucks and diesel guys can keep arguing their diesel trucks...I'm going camping

I agree.
Old 03-15-2011, 09:50 AM   #30

Location: Canandaigua,New York (The heart of the Finger Lakes)
My turn !! lol............I have been and are just about ready to pull the trigger on getting rid of my F-150 and jump to the F-250 or F-350 6.2. My thoughts are : I know Im stupid, ok the DW wants new!! I'd by used in a second(save more money). Ok I have no choice but to buy new(as I said DW). #2- I dont pull the camper full time.(only 3-4 weeks a year and only a couple of days from that time will be acctual pull time.#3- I believe Dodge has a better diesel (Cummins) but Im a Ford man right or wrong. The Diesel package on a F-250 or F-350 is $7550. After considering the added cost only($7550) the 6.2 gasser is the smarter move.w/4.10 gears. That IS the only problem ....I cant justify the $7550 when I dont pull full time. and as others have said to drive short distance with a diesel puts alot ware on a diesel because it never gets a chance to warm up. I dont for see pulling full time any time soon. The 6.2 V-8 is the only engine other than the diesel to pick from in the Super Duty line up for 2011. So for no added cost (std engine) the 6.2 is alot bigger engine than the 5.4 and gets better fuel milage and has a better power range across the whole band than the old 5.4. IMO -- go with the 6.2 gasser.
BigRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 03:52 PM   #31

Thanks guys read all of your comments and I can see the argument on both sides. I too have the same as big red my DW is get a new truck. Ford 2011 gasser are hitting the lots used already so its probally going to be used. I know the 5.4L has been doing the job so 6.2 is little bit better. I personally think its the 6 speed transmission that makes the difference. same trans in gas or diesel. Hp is only 15 hp difference but the torque is 2 times in deisel. I owned 1 chevy and driving my 3 rd ford and after 13 yrs still running strong with out the 5er. Just want to say many thanks for all your comments and inputs.
2010 Dodge 6.7L ctd
Connecticut
mm12348 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 06:29 PM   #32

Good luck on your search!!!