Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-14-2011, 10:23 AM   #1

replacing the truck

Looking for opions on what to do. I purchased my 1999 ford super duty 13 years ago. Went on many vactions up and down the east coast. Mainly with a 26 ft tt. Couple years ago upgraded to a 28ft fifth wheel. (30ft actual) While the truck does pull it ok, She is lacking the power under the hood. Doing it with a 5.4L with auto trans. like I said does the job but I have to drive by the tach which creates stress at times. (Some or these little 4 wheelers just don't get it). Anyway looking at the new fords f250 super duty with the 6.2L and 6 speed trans rated for 12,000 lbs. tow cap. Would you go with this or go desiel. Less maintance with gas and quieter, but they say diesel still better which I believe but is really worth the extra cash if the gasser will do the same job (not quite as easy though). Any one have the new 6.2L ford?
2010 Dodge 6.7L ctd
Connecticut
mm12348 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 10:32 AM   #2

If the truck is mainly for pulling the camper, go diesel.
crocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 11:08 AM   #3
Wanna Be Camper

IMO 8-12k extra just to pull a camper a few times a year is a huge waste of $$. A gasser will do just fine. You have to drive one god awefull pile of miles to make up the difference in price for the amount you save on fuel. That and the increased costs of maint on the diesel. Now if you are pulling heavy loads most of the time, well then the game changes. Sure a gasser works harder but with the modern 6 speed tranny in the new Ford they make up for alot with gearing. Read the tests on pickuptruck.com and see for yourself.
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 11:53 AM   #4

I keep hearing all this baoney about higher maitenance cost with a diesel. Just don't see it? What extra cost? Are you talking about the extra oil? Or is it the spark plugs? Oh that's right, none in a diesel. If keep a new truck for as long as the last one, get a 1 ton diesel and enjoy it.
donn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 11:59 AM   #5
Wanna Be Camper

Last time I checked both Ford and Dodge wanted over 100 bux for an oil change on a diesel and 40 for a gasser. Ford dealer even recomended not buying a diesel for casual towing but hey if you got $$$ to throw around might just as well buy a used Volvo road tractor with a 500hp cummins with an auto, remove one set of drivers and be done with the issue of what you can tow. Makes about as much sense for hauling a 28ft 5ver.
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 12:18 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSasks View Post
Last time I checked both Ford and Dodge wanted over 100 bux for an oil change on a diesel and 40 for a gasser. Ford dealer even recomended not buying a diesel for casual towing but hey if you got $$$ to throw around might just as well buy a used Volvo road tractor with a 500hp cummins with an auto, remove one set of drivers and be done with the issue of what you can tow. Makes about as much sense for hauling a 28ft 5ver.
Any IMHO anyone that goes to the dealer for anything but warranty work is looking to be taken to the cleaners. While my diesel takes 12 quarts of oil per change vs 5 quarts for a gas motor, I also loose spark plugs, plug wires, distributor and lack of enough power to tow my trailer. I can also get 2 to 3 MPG better economy while towing and 3 to 5 MPG better non towing mileage. So, where is the much higher maintenance costs for a diesel? Like I said before I just don't see it. Except banter from non diesel owners.
donn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 12:23 PM   #7

Have you considered looking for a 1 or 2 year old, low mileage, F250 with a diesel engine?

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 12:31 PM   #8
AKA Bluebird

Send a message via Yahoo to dimurrrw
I've pulled extensively with both gas and diesel. Either truck, properly equipped, will do the job for you. Here are a few thoughts that have occurred to me over the years:
A) Initial and maintenance costs
B) Diesel fuel is not always as readily available but, if you can fuel at truck stops, maneuverability is a lot better with a trailer in tow
C) It is easier, with a diesel, to add an auxiliary (in-bed) tank for increased range
D) Diesel mechanics are sometimes rather scarce in out-of-the-way places.

I guess it all boils down to what works best for you. My bias is to stick with gas for everyday use and occasional towing. If I were a full timer and doing a lot of interstate driving, especially in mountainous areas, I'd opt for a diesel.

dimurrrw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 12:38 PM   #9

I agree with Sacks the gross wt of the fiver is 11,500 well within the specs, ya I realize you have to watch the total wts. And if you go by the wts a tundra will out tow my superduty (maybe for one trip). I for one still change my oil every 3000-3500 miles which is 3 times a yr. use the truck for commuter also (12 mile commute). Now my 99 I have towed trailers up to 12000 lbs according to ford Im rated at 9,000 for 5er. Im also still with the original drive train just have to respect it alittle. when the new tow standards come out it will be good to compare apples for apples. As for tune ups agee both the same but a 7.3 ford diesel takes almost 4 gall. to change oil. But as you see Im keep a truck for awhile. Iwould take the 5er on a trip today across country if I could get the time off with the 99 but I know it would be slow over the mountains.

Don't want to start gas vs diesel war but trying to make an educated decesion up untill this yr I would of gone diesel with out even thinking about it but being a ford guy and looking at the 2011 6.2 l makes one take a step back and think.
2010 Dodge 6.7L ctd
Connecticut
Old 03-14-2011, 01:59 PM   #10

"I can also get 2 to 3 MPG better economy while towing and 3 to 5 MPG better non towing mileage." from donn
if only that much better go with the gas,
I know you will need to change fuel filters regularly and also the oil changes are more expensive. cost of diesel should be a trade.
will you have to have an engine block heater where your at. been there won't do that again.

ultimately you decide on the truck/engine you want
campfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 02:31 PM   #11

I second buying a newer used deisel, new ones are way over priced IMO. There are good used ones out there that will fit your needs and still outlast a new gas truck. I paid 19k for mine when it was 5 years old and had 70k on the odo. The truck had never towed anything, looks like new inside and out and is considered low mileage for a Cummins. I raise the B.S. flag at higher maintenance costs. Yes my truck holds 3 gallons of oil and I need to change the fuel filter at oil changes but when your changing the oil only once every 10-15,000 miles it's the same if not cheaper.
"PT Crew Member Since 11/2010"
M109Rrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 03:18 PM   #12

Agreed with the Newer used Trucks, I hate to say it, but in the times we are in, there are alot of Repo's out there that you could get Cheap, Look around and You would be surprized at what you find.

Hatchet
Chevy 2500HD Diesel
07 SandPiper F305

Days camped 2011 "3" so far,
Hatchet58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 03:36 PM   #13

have question looking at the horsepower vs torque maybe silly question but some of the hp ratins are close but huge difference in torque does this only make a difference when starting off or does torque play in while in cruise mode
2010 Dodge 6.7L ctd
Connecticut
Old 03-14-2011, 03:38 PM   #14

Since it is a mainly a commuter, then go for the gas. Diesels aren't real fond of not being warmed up. If you are commuting, I doubt you would have the patience to wait twice a day. And diesels really aren't meant for short trips, as they barely get warmed up in 12 miles!
crocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 03:45 PM   #15
ARLO

Quote:
Originally Posted by donn View Post
I keep hearing all this baoney about higher maitenance cost with a diesel. Just don't see it? What extra cost? Are you talking about the extra oil? Or is it the spark plugs? Oh that's right, none in a diesel. If keep a new truck for as long as the last one, get a 1 ton diesel and enjoy it.
I hope you are not talking about the 6.0 or the 6.4 diesel. The 7.3l diesel was a geat motor. The 6l motors make excellent boat anchors. They have injector problems, egr cooler problems, wiring issues, A/C issues to mention a few, especially in the van bodies. We have several 6.4L F350's in our fleet that get rough service and have had to replace 3 and overhaul one. One was at 38000 miles and the rest werejust over 100000 miles. Good diesel techs are very few and hard to find. And repair cost, ouch. Injectors are $526 a copy. A/c compressors are $484. An egr cooler is about $1200 and all are plus labor. If you are going 10000 or 15000 miles between changes, it would be a very good idea to use a quality synthetic oil like Kendall and have it sent out for sample testing.
rlocicero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 04:41 PM   #16

Crocus, That's no lie, I drive 25 miles one way mostly interstate to work, it takes at least 10 miles for the needle to come off cold LOL!!!

Riocicero, All conventional, sythetic does nothing more for contamination than conventional oils and conventional oils don't break down like they did in the old days. Besides, I'm just going by the owners manual. 7500 miles for rough duty, 15,000 for light duty. I tow a couple times a month for a couple hundred miles at a time so I figure I fall in the middle(which is still probably overkill).
"PT Crew Member Since 11/2010"
M109Rrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 04:59 PM   #17

Flip a coin.
Rugged Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 05:00 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugged Brown View Post
Flip a coin.

Probably the only coin you'll have left if you buy a diesel.
Rugged Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 10:39 PM   #19
Retired US Navy Diver

If you do end up getting the 250, look at the 350. For the same and sometimes lower price you get more payload and tow capacity.
gktsuda1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 12:09 AM   #20
Villa Estate 392FLFB

newer used diesel. sure oil changes are 100$+ a shot but no plugs and wires etc.

as for a turbo.. its up to you if you want one. its better for towing and for hills but it could be one more thing to go wrong.