Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-17-2018, 12:59 PM   #1

Returning Weight To Front Axle With WDH ?

Does anyone know if Dodge wants you to only add 50 % of the weight removed from the front axle when using a WDH ? Or should it be as close to 100%
not sure if it matters or not but specifically a RAM 2500 with diesel.

I have seen this topic kicked around with GM and Ford but never really paid much attention to it and I just picked up a new Husky Centerline TS hitch that I am going to install and get to the scales and would like this information for more accurate setup.
TST 507 TPMS
Progressive Industries EMS-PT30X
Ejs4029 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 03:46 PM   #2

I cannot recall reading anything about that in my manual (thats not to say its not there) I just brought the front fender height back to close to what is was before the trailer was hitched.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 04:00 PM   #3

There is nothing new under the sun, except for some corporate lawyers worried about people transferring too much weight. Put the front back to stock height, like people have been doing for decades.
Equal-i-zer WDH (10k), Prodigy Brake Controller
thebrakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 04:02 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ejs4029 View Post
Does anyone know if Dodge wants you to only add 50 % of the weight removed from the front axle when using a WDH ? Or should it be as close to 100%
not sure if it matters or not but specifically a RAM 2500 with diesel.

I have seen this topic kicked around with GM and Ford but never really paid much attention to it and I just picked up a new Husky Centerline TS hitch that I am going to install and get to the scales and would like this information for more accurate setup.
Yes, this is covered in the owner's manual. Ram says to return 50% of the height back to the front. You wouldn't know weight without scales and the suspension compression isn't linear so 50% height doesn't necessarily mean 50% weight.

Quote:
All Other 1500(Non-Air Suspension)/2500/3500 Trucks

1. Position the truck to be ready to connect to the trailer (do not connect the trailer).
NOTE: For Ram 2500/3500 trucks equipped with rear air suspension, normal ride height or alternate ride height 5 can be used. The vehicle must remain in the engine running position while attaching a trailer for proper leveling of the air suspension system. It may not be possible to enter alternate ride height while lightly loaded.

2. Measure the height of the top of the front wheel opening on the fender to ground, this is height H1.

3. Attach the trailer to the vehicle without the weight distribution bars connected.

4. Measure the height of the top of the front wheel opening on the fender to ground, this is height H2.

5. Install and adjust the tension in the weight distribut- ing bars so that the height of the front fender is approximately (H2-H1)/2+H1 (about 1/2 the differ- ence between H2 and H1 above normal ride height [H1]).

Tags
axle, weight