Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-23-2015, 02:45 PM   #21

It has nothing to do with what the Andersen (Anderson?) is rated for, but how effective it is at actually transferring all lost weight.

This has been debated many times in the towing section here, and in many other chat sites. I won't further hijack this thread. I only intended to make the OP aware that there are concerns with the Anderson which he/she can research if desired.
Equal-i-zer WDH (10k), Prodigy Brake Controller
thebrakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 10:46 AM   #22

Just bought a 2010 XLR 23fbv and am wondering about the use of my Equal-I-Zer hitch on the v nose. One of the braces for the hitch bars is very close to the brake break-away box and I will probably have to move the box. The people I bought the toy hauler from did not use a WDH and said they had no issues. Any thoughts on the hitch issue. The v nose of the XLR is a bit problematic when installing a stabilizer but I believe I can make it work.
msrafd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 12:16 PM   #23

I have done my own research on the equalizer vs. Anderson and propride vs. Hensley arrow. I have decided to go with equalizer but just wondered about backing after observing a neighbor at a campsite remove his equalizer weight dist. Bars before backing into his spot on a flat ground.

Rich, Steph, Ava, & Micah
2010 Sierra 1500 SLE Z60
2011 Shasta Revere 30 CKBH
RichieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 05:12 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichieD View Post
I have done my own research on the equalizer vs. Anderson and propride vs. Hensley arrow. I have decided to go with equalizer but just wondered about backing after observing a neighbor at a campsite remove his equalizer weight dist. Bars before backing into his spot on a flat ground.
You don't have to remove the bars before backing the trailer. I've done it numerous times with no problems. The bars will slide in the brackets.
gfarmcafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 07:08 PM   #25

I also use thr equalizer 4 pt sway hitch and never once had problems backing it as the bars are designed to slide in the sway brackets. Equalizer does not prohibit or recommend you remove the bars while reversing anywhere in their literature. It's a great setup and works exceptionally well on my rather large trailer. I had the husky chain and bar on my last trailer setup and I must say I like this one better. No sway friction bars to install and tension.
TST 507RV TPMS
Zolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 07:25 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by msrafd View Post
Just bought a 2010 XLR 23fbv and am wondering about the use of my Equal-I-Zer hitch on the v nose. One of the braces for the hitch bars is very close to the brake break-away box and I will probably have to move the box. The people I bought the toy hauler from did not use a WDH and said they had no issues. Any thoughts on the hitch issue. The v nose of the XLR is a bit problematic when installing a stabilizer but I believe I can make it work.
on my v lite the only problem I have is when you hook the wdh chains and start to get tension on them a couple of times I thought I was going to put that pipe right trough the side of the trailer. One of the reasons I was looking at the Anderson No sway hitch.
Old 04-04-2015, 06:43 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfarmcafe View Post
You don't have to remove the bars before backing the trailer. I've done it numerous times with no problems. The bars will slide in the brackets.
X2
Old 04-04-2015, 08:09 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichieD View Post
Hello!
I am considering upgrading from my current husky weight distribution hitch with two friction sway bars to the equalizer hitch. My question is, do the spring bars need to be removed before backing up or can you leave the spring bars "engaged"?
Thank you!
Richied
I am looking to go from the Camco WDH with Sway Bar to the Camco EZ-Lift Trekker, has anyone used this before I like the fact that I do not have to deal with all the hitch stuff and worry about SC backing up as I usually remove mine before backing just to prevent stuff. I originally had this setup installed by the dealer but the WDH and SC were not setup correctly so my F150 front is up 1/2 inch so I have to correct or I may want the new Trekker for my New Roo I will be getting in 10 days.
Old 04-04-2015, 10:04 PM   #29

I have a Lacrosse 327RES that I jack knife when I back it in at the house, I have never removed the bars on my Equal-I-Zer hitch, absolutely no problems.
DKRITTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 11:30 AM   #30

I tow a 2015 XLR 30fqsl - about 35 feet long - and use an Equalizer Hitch. Two hard learned lessons - First: get an experienced mechanic to set it up! We just towed from Missoula to Florida after buying our rig, and it tapdanced, swayed and did a frightening "Rumba" all the way there. An unfortunate collision resulted in a new hitch, installed by an expert, and the sway went away. Read the directions (I didn't get any with the first hitch and ASSUMED the installing dealer had competent mechanics). My tow vehicle had a definite slant down toward the rear on the trip out, indicating, as I discovered, that not enough weight was transferring to the front of the truck. Second lesson, gleaned from reading the directions over and over, is that greasing the L bracket contact is not always advised. They recommend their specialty covers to contain the noise. The friction on that bracket is what controls the sway. Mine squeeks, just like a Reese I had previously, and I can live with the noise and drive safely!
LairdT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 03:22 PM   #31

I put a small amount of grease on the ball and each of the pivots top and bottom (at the hitch)and leave the spring bars and trailer brackets dry. Only noise is on tight turns, but that is not always. 90 % of driving is silent! especially highway. I discussed this with progress mfg several times. They have a very helpful staff of experts who will help you get it right and they are very good teachers with their product. Progress makes Equalizer brand hitches.
TST 507RV TPMS
Zolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 09:46 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark0224 View Post
on my v lite the only problem I have is when you hook the wdh chains and start to get tension on them a couple of times I thought I was going to put that pipe right trough the side of the trailer. One of the reasons I was looking at the Anderson No sway hitch.
This is an interesting point. Note that any WDH (snap-up bracket, Equal-I-zer, Anderson, Dual-Cam (?)) will be easier to engage if you first raise the coupler with the tongue-jack.

The Equal-I-zer comes with a cam-like lever to raise the bars into place. I almost never use the thing, preferring to simply lift the coupler with the jack, and rotate the bars into place.

Likewise, I've heard Anderson users say that this allows them to place that bracket under the ball by hand, and they never have to re-adjust the chain-tension at all.

For you, with snap-up brackets, just jack up the coupler until the lever-force required is minimal.
Old 04-07-2015, 09:49 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebrakeman View Post
This is an interesting point. Note that any WDH (snap-up bracket, Equal-I-zer, Anderson, Dual-Cam (?)) will be easier to engage if you first raise the coupler with the tongue-jack.

The Equal-I-zer comes with a cam-like lever to raise the bars into place. I almost never use the thing, preferring to simply lift the coupler with the jack, and rotate the bars into place.

Likewise, I've heard Anderson users say that this allows them to place that bracket under the ball by hand, and they never have to re-adjust the chain-tension at all.

For you, with snap-up brackets, just jack up the coupler until the lever-force required is minimal.
Good advice, it's exactly what I do with my Equal-i-zer and almost never have an issue.
DKRITTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 10:06 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by wicked1 View Post
I am looking to go from the Camco WDH with Sway Bar to the Camco EZ-Lift Trekker, has anyone used this before I like the fact that I do not have to deal with all the hitch stuff and worry about SC backing up as I usually remove mine before backing just to prevent stuff. I originally had this setup installed by the dealer but the WDH and SC were not setup correctly so my F150 front is up 1/2 inch so I have to correct or I may want the new Trekker for my New Roo I will be getting in 10 days.
The Trekker is a knock-off of the Equal-I-zer.
Shop them both. From what little I saw, the Trekker was actually more expensive. I recommend the original, but I'm biased.
Old 05-23-2015, 04:04 AM   #35

Follow up: Ordered my equalizer hitch (1200lbs) from PPLmotorhomes.com. received within 2 days with fedex. I could'nt be happier!

Rich, Steph, Ava, & Micah
2010 Sierra 1500 SLE Z60
2011 Shasta Revere 30 CKBH
RichieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 05:39 AM   #36
Citrus County, Fl.

Congrats on the Equalizer. You are going to love it. Wish I saw this earlier as we are trading our TT for a MH and will be putting the almost new 12000/1200 up for sale next month along with the ball and Jackets. Saw you are in Orlando which is close. Equalizer has a grease available which cuts down on the noise as well. Enjoy!!
99 Terry 31G
GL1800Rider is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
equalizer, hitch