Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-07-2016, 07:33 AM   #41

I have used my riding mower to move an -EMPTY- flat-deck car trailer... And it was about all it could do.

I would expect serious break-age, trying to use your average riding mower to move a trailer of that weight. I wouldn't try; it's just not the right tool for the job.

Nights Camped 2016: 44

Nights Booked 2017: 11
Nights Camped 2017: 6
OntarioFireFighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 07:58 AM   #42
Land of the Midnightsun

I think you should " GO FOR IT " just think about chuck Yeager and Neil Armstrong
Elite Ready Brutte tow bar & Blue Ox base plate
Never mistake Knowledge for Wisdom. One helps you make a living the other help you make a LIFE.
jjSpeedwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 08:04 AM   #43

I frequent the forums, try to help if I can, but as a relatively new RVer, I'm more here for the advice. I try to read the advice given for problems I haven't encountered, in the hopes that maybe I will remember if I should happen to stumble on the same or similar problem.

But I will say, I don't necessarily disagree with the OP's "snippy" retort. I nearly posted a message on a different topic just recently that would have touched on this subject subject. No one posts a question that ends with "...and please answer with as much sarcasm and ridicule as possible.". I'm not saying this applies to this particular thread, but I often read through responses and think, "wow, does it have to be said in that manner?". I realize "text" on a forum can be tough to decipher the "mood" of the post, but some responses could be perceived as pretty offensive. Makes you wonder whether you should even ask the question, for fear of what the responses are going to be. And that defeats the point. The entire purpose of this forum is to share ideas/experience/knowledge/etc. If I have had the thoughts of, "should I even post a question?", I'm sure others have as well. And if we are preventing people from asking questions, we have lost the essence of the forum. Just my two cents. I didn't post these thoughts when I had previously considered it, simply because I decided that I would just give the benefit of the doubt and assume that the responses were not intended to be rude, it was just perception. But this is a good opportunity to bring that up. Perception is what it comes down to. Be mindful of how people can perceive your response. Now allow me to step off of this soap box and continue about my day, lol

Old 04-07-2016, 08:09 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simplewon View Post
I really hope he doesn't (didn't) hitch up to that with a truck and take off down the road. Probably running in the 200-300 lb. tongue weight range with a load close to 10K. That truck needs to be significantly farther forward with at least a 1K tongue weight to not sway horribly.
dustman_stx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 08:09 AM   #45

Quote:
The F-350 is almost hanging off the back of the Car Hauler,,,
so there is almost no tong weight !!!

My Lawn Tractor guy told me back a couple of years ago when he was putting a new tranny in my 22 hp. White Lawn Tractor,,, that they were rated to carry about 300 lbs. So that means with me on the tractor I can add about 20 pounds to the hitch !!!
LOL !!!
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 08:22 AM   #46
Land of the Midnightsun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolverine 1945 View Post
The F-350 is almost hanging off the back of the Car Hauler,,,
so there is almost no tong weight !!!

My Lawn Tractor guy told me back a couple of years ago when he was putting a new tranny in my 22 hp. White Lawn Tractor,,, that they were rated to carry about 300 lbs. So that means with me on the tractor I can add about 20 pounds to the hitch !!!
LOL !!!
Good thing that man had that big heavy cinder block on front or he might of got hurt. I'm thinking that man could also break that cinder block with his forehead
Elite Ready Brutte tow bar & Blue Ox base plate
Never mistake Knowledge for Wisdom. One helps you make a living the other help you make a LIFE.
jjSpeedwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 08:27 AM   #47

Hold my beer and watch this!!
KingFisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 08:28 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by 25FKS View Post
As I said in my original post - Has anyone used a riding lawnmower to position/park their TT? What can I expect? How big (hp) is required for a 6200 max gross TT?

I had all of my own suspicions and I am in the process of getting a Powermover. I wanted to hear from someone that ACTUALLY did it and what they discovered ....

Forums are full of opinions which to me if not based on first hand experience and fact are totally as bad as politics.

I've only been a member for a short time, but I will not say how I am feeling so far (Mom said, "if you don't have anything nice to say, ........"). I even tried once to assist others and wow - that won't happen again. I guess I will resign to just sit in the background and only read from time to time - possibly only as a guest.

Sounds like this is an EXCELLENT plan! There's an old saying ---"if you can't stand the answer, don't ask the question"!
2015 Ram Laramie Hemi, w/air suspension
30 years RV'ing
11 different RV's
RSchleder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 08:30 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semperfi24 View Post
I frequent the forums, try to help if I can, but as a relatively new RVer, I'm more here for the advice. I try to read the advice given for problems I haven't encountered, in the hopes that maybe I will remember if I should happen to stumble on the same or similar problem.

But I will say, I don't necessarily disagree with the OP's "snippy" retort. I nearly posted a message on a different topic just recently that would have touched on this subject subject. No one posts a question that ends with "...and please answer with as much sarcasm and ridicule as possible.". I'm not saying this applies to this particular thread, but I often read through responses and think, "wow, does it have to be said in that manner?". I realize "text" on a forum can be tough to decipher the "mood" of the post, but some responses could be perceived as pretty offensive. Makes you wonder whether you should even ask the question, for fear of what the responses are going to be. And that defeats the point. The entire purpose of this forum is to share ideas/experience/knowledge/etc. If I have had the thoughts of, "should I even post a question?", I'm sure others have as well. And if we are preventing people from asking questions, we have lost the essence of the forum. Just my two cents. I didn't post these thoughts when I had previously considered it, simply because I decided that I would just give the benefit of the doubt and assume that the responses were not intended to be rude, it was just perception. But this is a good opportunity to bring that up. Perception is what it comes down to. Be mindful of how people can perceive your response. Now allow me to step off of this soap box and continue about my day, lol
Where was there sarcasm and ridicule in the 3-4 replies he received before his snippy response? I saw none. But, as you mentioned, ones intended perception of their post is difficult on a message board. 10 of us could read something and all of us could interpret it differently.
Old 04-07-2016, 08:35 AM   #50

Quote:
Looked like there was a little John Deere battery operated kids tractor or UTV by the swing set. If he hooks up and moves it with that, then I will be impressed.
Old 04-07-2016, 08:37 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingFisher View Post
Hold my beer and watch this!!
LOVE IT !!!

I wonder if that guy put that JD out next to his driveway the next day with a For Sale sing on it ???
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 08:59 AM   #52

Quote:
When watching the funniest home video programs, people laugh at the complete stupidity others. You just know that some of those people were hurt. What's the point of gambling with your life or a life-long injury. Anytime anything is seriously mismatched, the person may get away with it once, maybe half dozen times, but the odds are, it will catch up to them. Hopefully, it is just the machine that is sacrificed.

Watching this video, the guy has a concrete block tied to the front and dangling to the ground. At one point, the front wheels lifted off the ground, then the block dragged the ground. Had that broken block off, he would have gone oven backwards as the following video showed (tractor pull gone bad). That dollar fifty cent block was all that was keeping him from disaster. There is not one penny of common sense in that set up. I don't think I would have the guts to post that on YouTube.
PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 09:27 AM   #53

Quote:
Has anyone used a riding lawnmower to position/park their TT? What can I expect? How big (hp) is required for a 6200 max gross TT?
I will answer your Q with Yes they have,and have also been "Hurt/Injured/Killed" while trying this! Safety is what Matters! Same Issue as people thinking they can do "Hayrides" with a "Lawnmower/Garden Tractor/Estate Tractor/Sub Compact Tractor/9 N Ford" then load a Haywagon full of people and try to STOP/Maneuver,BAD Results Happen! Youroo!!
Old 04-07-2016, 09:46 AM   #54

A little off topic here, but I have a JD 500 all terrain, but would like to move up to a modelwith power steering and drive on deck. Any one know how big a tractor one has to buy to get these features.
pacin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 09:59 AM   #55

Not to jump off topic, but the very next sentence in my post reads "This does not apply to this particular thread". So the answer to your question is, there wasn't any in the 3-4 responses, nor did I indicate that there were.

Old 04-07-2016, 10:02 AM   #56

Send a message via AIM to B and B
Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
I will answer your Q with Yes they have,and have also been "Hurt/Injured/Killed" while trying this! Safety is what Matters! Same Issue as people thinking they can do "Hayrides" with a "Lawnmower/Garden Tractor/Estate Tractor/Sub Compact Tractor/9 N Ford" then load a Haywagon full of people and try to STOP/Maneuver,BAD Results Happen! Youroo!!
Good Point Youroo!

A childhood friend of mine was killed by at Garden Tractor hauling a hay-wagon down the hill at a national chain trailer park. They had a 12 hp Sears Garden tractor and most people jumped off when the wagon overtook and crushed the tractor. The friend was thrown under wheels and crushed. This was back in 70's and the lawsuits where not thought of then.
The park closed never to reopen, the family just disappeared that ran it.
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 10:26 AM   #57

Quote:
As I said in my original post - Has anyone used a riding lawnmower to position/park their TT? What can I expect? How big (hp) is required for a 6200 max gross TT?

I had all of my own suspicions and I am in the process of getting a Powermover. I wanted to hear from someone that ACTUALLY did it and what they discovered ....

Forums are full of opinions which to me if not based on first hand experience and fact are totally as bad as politics.

I've only been a member for a short time, but I will not say how I am feeling so far (Mom said, "if you don't have anything nice to say, ........"). I even tried once to assist others and wow - that won't happen again. I guess I will resign to just sit in the background and only read from time to time - possibly only as a guest.
I understand your concerns, but on a chat site, you will get opinions from people, even if they do not match your criteria. Just take the information given. If nobody posts who has actual experience trying to move with a lawnmower, then you have your answer....No. All of the extra commentary does not hurt you, and who knows, you or somebody else might learn something.
Equal-i-zer WDH (10k), Prodigy Brake Controller
thebrakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 10:59 AM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebrakeman View Post
I understand your concerns, but on a chat site, you will get opinions from people, even if they do not match your criteria. Just take the information given. If nobody posts who has actual experience trying to move with a lawnmower, then you have your answer....No. All of the extra commentary does not hurt you, and who knows, you or somebody else might learn something.
I believe we all learn something every day on this chat. At times, the reply may be overzealous. But there is no need to withdraw even if the OP gets rained on. The OP asked a question in sincerity. That was a smart decision. By the YouTube video samples, others have leaped before asking. The replies here may have saved the OP from a dastardly incident. Then, we all move on.
PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 12:26 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semperfi24 View Post
Not to jump off topic, but the very next sentence in my post reads "This does not apply to this particular thread". So the answer to your question is, there wasn't any in the 3-4 responses, nor did I indicate that there were.
So there was no sarcasm in the replies he received, but yet you agree with his "snippy" retort?? Or technically you did not disagree, which I do believe is about the same.
Old 04-07-2016, 03:40 PM   #60

Years ago we use to have a 22 foot travel trailer that we kept in our back yard. We have a walk out basement so there is a slope on the side of the house and I could pull the trailer up that slope with my wheel horse lawn tractor with a 8 hp engine. I kept chains on the tires as this lawn tractor could be use to pull a small plow. It worked fine for me. I also had a much cheaper 10 hp, 36 inch cut riding mower that I could move the trailer around either in the back yard or where it was flat. The trailer had somewhere about 450 lb tongue weight and had 4 wheels. This was in the early to mid 80's.
I am not sure it would pull some of the big boys that are out there, but the wheel horse would move mine with no problems.
I wouldn't be one to follow as I had a tendency to abuse my toys as I also use them to move snow, or do other things as needed other then cut grass. Both were worn out when I got rid of them with the wheel horse suffering a major lose of oil pressure when the drain plug for the oil pan came out.
Wattsworld is offline   Reply With Quote