Old 04-06-2016, 03:41 PM   #31
Fulltime family RVer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
Take for example someone asking if it hurts to stick your hand in a fire. Most people don't have to have first hand experience with it to know it would, and their common sense opinion is sufficient.
Which part of the fire? Many years ago, my dad got sloppy drunk while camping and feel into the fire. We got lucky that there was a 20" diameter tree trunk in it and the top hadn't lit yet. He caught himself on that and then I put him to bed.

I guess technically, he fell into the fire. But not the flame.

He looked a little like this:

Old 04-06-2016, 07:37 PM   #32

Yeah, I tried it with my Snapper riding mower. Wouldn't budge the trailer. Turns out my mower has a drive belt - - not a chain drive or a geared rear end - - and even though the engine power was there the belt would only spin and spin and spin. Had to replace it AND the drive disc it wrapped around.

Maybe if you have a chain drive or geared mower it might work with a 20+hp mower. I ended up building a dedicated mover using a 3000# 12v winch and a chain to gear setup. Works great.

Old 04-06-2016, 08:09 PM   #33

Riding Lawnmower to Park/Tow

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingFisher View Post
OP didn't like the answers he was getting.

Yup. I guess the answer to his question was "No."

Generally this is a very friendly forum full of great ideas and information, but people don't react too well when someone get snippy.

Land of 10,000 Lakes
2016 Forester MBS 2401R
Old 04-06-2016, 11:12 PM   #34

Yes I have and do all the time.
That being said I have a JD 2520 compact tractor. It is 26 horse power. Approximately the same footprint as a side by side or a golf cart. . I use a 3pt hitch trailer mover that I built, but they are readily available to buy on eBay. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1459998110.802583.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	45.4 KB
ID:	104128
I only know JD model numbers, but there are plenty of other brands that are great also, and some are a bit cheaper, but surprisingly the green paint is usually not the most expensive. For a JD model the smallest that would be really good for moving a camper sized trailer is probably the 2025R and it will have around 1100 pounds of 3 point hitch lift capacity.
That being said, I love moving my trailers around with my little tractor. Since it is on the 3pt hitch I am able to lift it, so I just back up to the trailer, lift the ball up using the hitch height control, and then drive away. So getting off to crank the jack. It is also very maneuverable to get into tight areas. The only downfall is it is very hard to see behind to back up, as you are sitting centered with the trailer and don't have mirrors. To back up into anything but an open area you would need either a spotter or mount a back up camera on the back of the traile and a monitor on the tractor hood.
I also love love love mowing with my tractor. Being a diesel it cuts so fast and has the torque to not bog down I. Heavy or wet grass. The only downfall with mowing is it has a roll bar, so you can't get far under overhanging tree branches.
Brakes aren't a concern moving trailers around at yard speeds on relatively flat ground. The tractor has decent brakes and if you were in a panic you could drop the hitch down onto the jack. If you did have hills and wanted brakes it wouldn't be hard to mount a brake controller on the tractor, and apply the brakes through the slide switch on the controller.
3pt trailer movers and moving trailers with compact tractors is very very common on the compact tractor forum I am a part of.
Old 04-06-2016, 11:30 PM   #35
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevinwak View Post
Yes I have and do all the time.
That being said I have a JD 2520 compact tractor. It is 26 horse power. Approximately the same footprint as a side by side or a golf cart. . I use a 3pt hitch trailer mover that I built, but they are readily available to buy on eBay.
I also have a 2520 JD... but as I read the OP's question, he's/she's asking about using a riding mower, not a tractor. "Has anyone used a riding lawnmower to position/park their TT?"

Nights Camped: '13 = 49 / '14 = 74 / '15 = 74 / '16 = 85 / '17 = 110 / '18 = 0; booked = 28
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 11:52 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dan View Post
I also have a 2520 JD... but as I read the OP's question, he's/she's asking about using a riding mower, not a tractor. "Has anyone used a riding lawnmower to position/park their TT?"

Sorry. I thought I would give the OP my positive feedback on his question. He asked about using a mower and what size would be needed. Well a compact tractor is pretty much the smallest size mower that you could use for moving a trailer. Sure, it's title is tractor, but it is still a very great mower
Old 04-06-2016, 11:57 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNtraveler View Post
Yup. I guess the answer to his question was "No."

Generally this is a very friendly forum full of great ideas and information, but people don't react too well when someone get snippy.

Land of 10,000 Lakes
2016 Forester MBS 2401R

Probably had everyone just stated "NO" and left it at that he wouldn't have gotten snippy. Appears he wasn't seeking additional commentary. Very hard not to get additional advice on these forums though. Everyone is trying to oblige best they can.

I had a boss many years ago when I was a youngster working at the local Theater that was much like this. He would ask a direct question and he expected a direct answer. That's just how he was. Still, a helluva nice guy though.
2004 GMC Sierra 2500HD LT 4x4 6.0 / 4:10

The best plans can be of those that happen in the spur of the moment!
Briorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 11:58 PM   #38

Riding Lawnmower to Park/Tow

Duplicate
Old 04-07-2016, 08:24 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by 25FKS View Post
Has anyone used a riding lawnmower to position/park their TT? What can I expect? How big (hp) is required for a 6200 max gross TT?
First move should be to bend over and kiss the Lawn Tractors tyranny,,,
GOODBY !!!
Old 04-07-2016, 08:27 AM   #40

Saw this one on youtube.

2014 Jeep SRT...did not trade
Simplewon is offline   Reply With Quote