Old 10-13-2013, 09:36 AM   #1

road bounce

over in the Flagstaff folder I started a topic on road bounce on our 831BFKSS. it seems certain roads and their joints lead to excessive bouncing. This bouncing is so bad your coffee would be jumping out of the cup, your stomach jumps like a basketball being dribbled. some have indicated it is the trailer suspension and others indicate the road is delivering this effect. it is enough to make you sick.
Do other trailers have this big bounce?
831BFKSS bounces on some roads
if you want to read.
Gary

Old 10-16-2013, 03:09 PM   #2

yes, I also have this problem towing my 2013 FR Cardinal. I am now searching for ways to get a better towing. maybe changing out my hitch to a air ride system, or change out my pin box. Can anyone give me advice on this?

Old 10-17-2013, 12:47 PM   #3

Getting a different hitch does not solve the issue of bouncing just reduces the impact of bouncing you feel in your TV. Best is the reduce or eliminate bouncing of your 5th wheel. Adding shocks o the 5th wheel are highly recommended. OldCoot has made this and reported about the success on this forum.
Old 10-17-2013, 01:03 PM   #4

bounce

we shouldn't have to change the design of the trailer by adding shocks to stop this.
other solutions?
Old 10-17-2013, 01:17 PM   #5
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by etcmss View Post
we shouldn't have to change the design of the trailer by adding shocks to stop this.
other solutions?
The bounce is inherent to any vehicle suspension system without shocks. That is the reason shocks were invented 100+ yrs ago. You can't defy the laws of physics.

Newton's 1 law of physics: I. Every object in a state of uniform motion tends to remain in that state of motion unless an external force is applied to it.
Old 10-17-2013, 02:17 PM   #6

I agree with others. Look into shocks for the TT. That will fix the problem, whereas tweaking the hitch setup is treating the symptom.

^^^^^ I did not type Twerking.
TT 2014 Rockwood Roo 183
TV 2012 Nissan Armada
EricInColorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 03:17 PM   #7

bounce

in normal driving conditions the TT performs well with no bounce, so what in the road causes the violent up and down bouncing?
and why would we need to add shocks on a trailer just for this? it still points to the TT should have had them when it was built.
Gary
Old 10-17-2013, 03:23 PM   #8
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by etcmss View Post
in normal driving conditions the TT performs well with no bounce, so what in the road causes the violent up and down bouncing?
and why would we need to add shocks on a trailer just for this? it still points to the TT should have had them when it was built.
Gary
Shocks only come on HIGH end trailers like Airstream, don't know if any Forest River trailers have them.

If all roads were smooth, there is no need for shocks on any vehicle, but a vast majority of the roads are far from smooth and once the bounce starts, it will continue to bounce until acted upon by an outside source, i.e. shocks. Newton's 1 law.

Try this experiment, unhook the rear shocks from your truck and then bounce on the back bumper and see what happens and it isn't even moving on a highway.
Old 10-23-2013, 09:09 PM   #9

Make sure the spring bars on your hitch are adjusted right and tight enough.
I had to move up 1 more link, and that helped take some of the bounce out.