Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-06-2011, 08:16 PM   #1

Rockwood 2306 with tv Acadia

Hello,
I am looking for advice on how safe towing the Rockwood 2306 with an GMC Acadia. I am looking to upgrade our camper but want to make sure our tv can handle the job safely.
Any advice is greatly appreciated!!!
justennis1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 11:46 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

1st of all, welcome to the forum ??

You haven't included much information with your post.
We need:

The year of your Acadia
Tow rating, and does it have the factory tow package
GVWR, GCWR
Hitch ratings

By the little information that I can find on the net so far, the Acadia has a 119" wheelbase, so a Rockwood 2306 is about maximum you would want to tow with.....depending if the weights are OK.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 12:41 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

I'm going by memory here, but this is what I recall when I looked at that crossover a couple of years ago for my wife.

At the time, its max tow cap was 4,500lbs (and I think its slightly more now).

Although its had a really nice payload of 1,600lbs or so, its GCWR was only 9,500lbs and the TVs weight was 5,000 so this limits the weight of a trailer to 4,500lbs. I don't recall the Arcadia's axle ratings or anything else about the vehicle, but I felt at the time that the GCWR was too low for me. For example ... the 2306's GVWR is 4,700 so its a problem or you will need to make sure you pack 1,000lbs or less to keep from being overweight.
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 09:22 PM   #4

Like stated above more info is needed - Year engine and if I am not mistaken you can look at the door sticker as well for weight capacity as well - the 2011 Acadia model has a tow capacity of 5,200 lbs -
which doesnt leave much wiggle room and put's you close to max

Triguy is right - If you are near your Max or will possibly be over your max towing capacity that can be very dangerous

I am actually am going to look at a brand new 2306 in Ft Pierce tommorow and if the floor plan / trailer trim of what I am looking for I am ordering one with the options I want - been doing alot of research and the 2306 looks like the trailer I want
sherdep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 10:53 PM   #5
Now a "Top Member"

Well, for the 2009, the Acadia shows a max tow rating of 5200 pounds, and that only if it has the Tow Package. The 2306 shows a 4718 pound GVWR. You would be cutting it pretty close. Personally, I think it would depend on what kind of camping you do. If you are just a "weekender", and don't tend to pack a lot of stuff for your trips, you should be okay. But if you go on extended trips, fill the water tanks, and push the GVWR, I think you might be biting off more than you can chew.
Retired AF MSgt

I thought I was wrong once, but I was wrong!
EdJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 11:43 AM   #6
Site Team - Lou

Again I go back to: Travel Trailer Weight Calculator

Just do not be tempted to use the published camper dry weight numbers. Most folks drag along about 1000 - 1500 pounds of personal junk and chow. This would add 200-400 pounds to the dry tounge weight.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 11:52 AM   #7

Thank you for all of your help. I really appreciate it. I spoke in great detail with a hitch company that I trust. They assure me I will be safe. I will not be traveling far with the camper at this point. In the future when I go for an upgrade on the car I will get a larger towing capacity. Hopefully my funfinder will sell soon on Craigslist and I will be in my new Rockwood soon.
justennis1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags