Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-27-2008, 01:26 PM   #1

Rockwood 2701ss / Ford Expedition combo

Hello,

This is my first post on this forum and I must say I feel more confident about the answers I will receive here rather than on another site I alread posted my question on. I'm sure everyone knows which one I'm talking about.

Ok, here it goes. My wife and I are taking delivery of a 2008 Rockwood 2701ss on 4/5. We will be towing with an '04 Expedition 4x4 EB. It has 3.73 gears, 5.4l v-8, and HD tow package. I will be using a reese-dual cam WD hitch too. Will 800# bars be enough? I know weight wise we will be ok on the TV, but I am more concerned about a lot of sway. Of course on "the other site" I was told I'm going to need a hensley with such a short wheelbase. If I have to, I'll consider it, but I think I should get a prertty good idea of how it will tow on the trip home. It is about 50 miles away and we will be on all highways.

I would like to get some feedback on how well Rockwoods tow behind vechiles the same or similar to our Expy. Right now a TV upgrade is not in the plans, but you never know what the future holds.

I want to thank everyone for any and all responses up front. And, as soon as I have pics of the new toy I'll post them.
bricole1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 02:30 PM   #2

I think you will be fine w/ room to spare, we used to have an 2003 expy same engine and gears and it could tow our current TT 8317ss, ( though I wasnt comfortable) I think your setup is nice and safe
Old 03-27-2008, 06:24 PM   #3

Here is my experience with an Expedition towing a 26' KZ Toyhauler.

The rear end blew out. Cost me $3k after 4 weeks without its use and all expenses of being 500 miles from home and an after market extended warranty that refused to pay on a supposidly covered repair.

To be fare, I was over weight, had the 4.6L and no HD tow package.

However I now tow with a 2000 Excursion Diesel (265k mile) w/ Hypertech tunner. The Expedition was gone within 2 months after getting it back.
out4stlhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 06:38 PM   #4

I have a 2007 Expy with the 5.4L and the HD Tow package. I also have the Reese Dual Cam's - get the 1200# set, 800 is not enough to really offset the weight (plus you can always drop a link if needed). I am currently towing an 8318 which I believe is just a little bit more in size and weight. Honestly, I have had no problems with it. We now have 30K miles on the Expy and probably 10K of that is towing. I picked up the trailer from RVW and towed back down here to FL and the camper has been back up into the mountains of NC a couple times.

I have never used a Hensley, but man, $2K (or whatever it is now) for the setup is steep. I'm happy with the Reese and the Expy --- I previously had a 2001 Expy with the 4.6L and used it to tow a Rockwood 2601, and it did that pretty good too.

We upgraded to the 5.4L so that we could get a bigger camper

All is good, would I rather have a Diesel Excursion to pull it? You bet!! But the wife drives the Expy around town every day and I get to drive it when we pull
HookupAndGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 11:40 AM   #5

The excursion is my wifes for work and mine to tow and fish with.
out4stlhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 08:07 PM   #6

I too have an Expedition (2001) with the 5.4L and the HD Tow package. This is my second Expedition that I have owned. Both have had the factory load leveling air suspension as well which I would never go without. Between my first and second expy I tested one that did not have the air. I tested it towing my first trailer and I did not like the handling as much.

I also have the Reese Dual Cam's 1200# set towing an 8317SS. I took the unit over the scales at the end of last season and for my year of expedition I know that I am just under the rated tow limit. The newer Expeditions I believe have a higher tow rating.

For now I plan on continuing towing with my expy and upgrading to a new SUV with a higher tow rating and hopefully better fuel economy. My unit tows fine and handles well with the Reese Dual Cam. Straight and true all the time with no white knuckle driving.

My 8317SS factory hitch weight as listed on the Forest River web site is 821 lbs so I opted on the 1200 lbs bars for my Reese Dual cam set up. I looked up your units hitch weight (2701SS) and it lists as 437 lbs. I am not an expert but by looking at this I would say that the 800 lbs bars would be sufficient for you.

Happy camping with your new Rockwood. --Rob

2013 Camping Days: 22
2012 89 2011 50 2010 61
OregonCamper's Pics click here
OregonCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 10:54 PM   #7

Welcome bricole1973, this is the best fourm " FRF " everyone here is fantastic. the members here like to help everyone and any info they don't have they will find it QUIT..... So I hope you enjoy the forum and share your adventures.
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 06:51 AM   #8

Thank you everyone for your replys. It is much nicer to actually get positive feedback for once! I am so glad that I found this forum! Now, I just can't wait to pick up our new toy on Saturday.
Old 04-04-2008, 12:40 PM   #9

Here is a laugh for you....I towed my 2701ss with a trailblazer...so I think you are well above that. I just upgraded my TV to a Suburban, the longer wheelbase will make a huge difference, as I experienced a ton of sway...

Cant wait to see pics..and changes from your 08 to my 08..I got mine last April 07...so Im sure somethings have changed..
Prodigy Brake Control
Reese 800lb Weight Dist Bars
Dual Cam Sway Control
2008 Rockwood 2701ss
Mansfield, MA
spepi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 01:32 PM   #10

I bought my wife a Chevy Trailblazer 2007 new, it is the LT fully loaded. I didn't get it for towing, but from what I understand isn't the max tow weight on the Trailblazer 6500lbs? I know that at one time GM made two versions, the extended and the short version, but I think they stop making the extended model. I would tow with anything under 3/4 ton, I have a Suburban as well, a great tow vehicle.
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 07:08 AM   #11

Ok, just a quick update. The Expedition did a good job towing "the beast". Plenty of power and the Reese DC did a great job controlling sway on the trailer. I can see where the 119" wheelbase does come into play a little. A few time I could feel the back end of the TV wanting to dance around a little bit but not horribly.

However, three days after bringing the TT home my other car decided it wanted to finally quit working on me. Now I'm the proud owner of an '06 F-150. I think this will make a big difference. I still have to get that TV ready to pull the TT now, so unfortunately I cannot make a good comparison at this time.

As soon as the weather gets better I promise I'll post some pics of the TT and TT/TV setup.

Thanks again for everyone's replies.

Brian

Tags
2701ss