Old 08-13-2019, 07:09 AM   #1

Rockwood 8335BS and F250 towing issues

We love our RW 8335BS but towing it has been a problem from day one. Our first trip to FL was a white knuckle trip. I told my wife if I canít fix the way this thing tows, Iím trading it. I have to say that this was our first large TT so I didnít know what to expect, but I knew the way it towed wasnít right. I have a 2016 Ford 250 HD 6.7 diesel so pulling it has never been a problem but the sway and the tractor trailer suck was.

The RW factory lists the RW 8335BS tongue weight at 1200 lbs. I took it to the weigh station and its tongue weight is 1400 lbs. and the trailer is 9200 lbs. fully loaded. For two years I have experimented with towing this trailer.

The first change was adding an Equalizer hitch and experimenting adding and subtracting washer. This fixed a lot of the issues but still had the tractor trailer suck and speeds over 60 it felt unstable. Even a fast car passing would cause a sway or a pull/suck. The next fix was to add the Torklift Stableload lower kit. This took away most if not all the tractor trailer suck and lowered the front in thus reducing the rear end sag. Now I have to watch my speed. If Iím not cognizant I will be at 70 before I know it.

I Ďm now to the point where I comfortable in the way it tows to try a cross country trip. I was wondering if others have had issues with towing the RW 8335BS trailer with a F250 and what issues they had if any.

Bert and Berta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 07:21 AM   #2

Which Equalizer hitch did you get? Is it rated for that kind of weight?

You have a front kitchen there, right? That's typically what you want.. weight up front.

007matman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 07:27 AM   #3

As a follow-up..

I see one equalizer brand hitch that is good for up to 1400 TW. If it were me I'd be getting one that's 1500+

You may need to look to move something to the back too.
Old 08-13-2019, 08:26 AM   #4

This would be an option to consider: a Propride 3 P or Hensley hitch at about $2,500.00 which is probably a lot more cheaper than trading trailer. Do a search above to get more info.

https://www.propridehitch.com/propri...caAj2AEALw_wcB

https://www.hensleymfg.com/
Yamaha 3000iseb generator:Progressive Ind. EMS-HW30C : Eastern Ontario
Nights Camped:2012(36) 2013 (17) 2014 (18) 2015 (18) 2016 (36) 2017 (32) 2018 (42)
fonzie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 10:45 AM   #5

Its the 1400 Equalizer hitch . Talked to Equalizer hitch about the 1400 lbs weight and they said that was fine. The hitch would handle it without any problems
Bert and Berta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 12:58 PM   #6

Possibly the Weight Distribution Hitch and Anti Sway bars or all of it are setup incorrectly. Is you nose high or pointing down when hitched up? that can indicate improper installation. As well as all the other observations above.

2019 Ford SD F-350 SRW Lariat
Tow & Gooseneck Prep
FX4 Off Road (4X4)
rlh1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 01:26 PM   #7

Hmm
I really like the Fastway E2 10k but the one you have there is supposed to be better than mine. I'm also probably not pulling as much as you are.

My camper is about 7400 fully loaded. And I'm pulling now with an F350 CC LWB Dually. I did pull the same camper with my Escalade (and the same hitch) and got along just fine. It was just too much for the power-train, suspension/brakes.

A lot of guys really like the Andersen. I would be tempted to try that over the Hensley or Pro-Pride. However, as was previously stated, one of those would be cheaper than the loss you'd take in buying a new camper. I've never used one of those but I hear they work wonders for difficult to tow campers.

Even though a SRW has its benefits, I'll never swap those for the stability I get from the DRW.
Old 08-13-2019, 03:00 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert and Berta View Post
We love our RW 8335BS but towing it has been a problem from day one. Our first trip to FL was a white knuckle trip. I told my wife if I canít fix the way this thing tows, Iím trading it. I have to say that this was our first large TT so I didnít know what to expect, but I knew the way it towed wasnít right. I have a 2016 Ford 250 HD 6.7 diesel so pulling it has never been a problem but the sway and the tractor trailer suck was.

The RW factory lists the RW 8335BS tongue weight at 1200 lbs. I took it to the weigh station and its tongue weight is 1400 lbs. and the trailer is 9200 lbs. fully loaded. For two years I have experimented with towing this trailer.

The first change was adding an Equalizer hitch and experimenting adding and subtracting washer. This fixed a lot of the issues but still had the tractor trailer suck and speeds over 60 it felt unstable. Even a fast car passing would cause a sway or a pull/suck. The next fix was to add the Torklift Stableload lower kit. This took away most if not all the tractor trailer suck and lowered the front in thus reducing the rear end sag. Now I have to watch my speed. If Iím not cognizant I will be at 70 before I know it.

I Ďm now to the point where I comfortable in the way it tows to try a cross country trip. I was wondering if others have had issues with towing the RW 8335BS trailer with a F250 and what issues they had if any.
I have a 8328BS with similar weights as your setup. I use an Equalizer hitch as well. Only change I made was to get rid of the D load range China bombs and replaced them with load range E GY Endurance tires. I keep both my truck and trailer tires inflated to maximum cold psi and use a T507 TPMS. My truck is a 2015 RAM 3500 Cummings diesel long bed. So, our trucks and trailers are very similar in terms of capacity.

I get no sway or ďtractor trailer suckĒ. Pulls nice and smooth. I would suggest that you start fresh with the Equalizer setup. Follow the setup procedure in the user manual exactly.

On another note, I have a buddy that has a 2018 RAM 2500 Cummings short bed and pulls his 8329SS with no issues.
Old 08-13-2019, 03:08 PM   #9
llr

If I recall that is the Rockwood version of mine. I use the Blue OX sway pro without issues.

You should get to a Cat scale to be sure the hitch is setup properly, mine had minor issues when I picked up, a few adjustments and everything is good. The wind and trucks causing a little push will not be avoided but if you are having sway its probably adjustments.

How many miles on the truck? probably not the issue but worn suspension can cause issues too.
Old 08-13-2019, 03:49 PM   #10
CGK

We also tow that model TT with a 3/4 ton truck. Our TT weights are very close to yours - within 100 lbs - and we have had no issues, which I attribute to our Hensley Arrow hitch. I noticed Fonzie has already mentioned the Hensley or ProPride hitches, and has provided links. I've had my Hensley on 3 TTs over the years, and it truly eliminates trailer sway. Expensive, but worth every penny in my experience. Some like the ProPride even better, but I have no experience to share with that hitch. You can call Hensley directly and speak with Terry Powell, engineer. His number is (800) 410-6580 ext. 117. It's fabulous to concentrate on driving and not have to brace yourself every time a semi blows by you. Safe travels!

CGK is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
f250, rockwood, towing