Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-29-2017, 03:18 PM   #21

The 6 cyl. in the Jeep Grand Cherokee is to low on power to tow the TT comfortable.
Should go with at least a V8 4.7 L. That gives you a towing capacity of 7,500 lbs.
Better is the 5.7 or Hemi.
wernermgb77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 01:24 PM   #22

Look at the 5.7L Hemi Dodge Durango with tow package. This is the stretched version of the Grand Cherokee. The CCC is pretty high for an SUV (I used to own a 2011 V6 IIRC it had 1680 payload).

If you don't need a third row or 4x4 CCC will be higher. I believe they are rated for 8400 lbs tow and are rear wheel drive, much better suited to towing than FWD as well as its longer wheelbase.

-Same drivetrain as Ram 1500 (except rear axle)
-Easier to maneuver than a full size truck and better MPG when not towing.
-Trailer sway control standard
-Longer wheelbase than Tahoe and I think tied with Expedition
GAWRF: 3900 GAWRR: 4100 GCWR: 17,000
Payload Sticker: 1,867 lbs Tow Capacity: 11,767 lbs
Towing a nice 5th wheel near you
m2kamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 09:23 AM   #23

Thanks for all the help everyone! We decided to get a F250 super-duty. Feel much safer with the truck over the GC.
eddiehaskel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 10:00 AM   #24

Great choice. Diesel? Also look at F350, dollar difference isn't all that much and you'll get a LOT more payload. Go for long bed if you can.
jgump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 10:32 AM   #25

We found a used 2016 with only 10,000 miles. It is gas. Think we got a really good deal on it. Looking forward to doing some camping!
eddiehaskel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 11:21 AM   #26

This whole thread is so disturbing. The wrong focus and mis information is so rampant in these forums we can't overcome the sheer volume of repeated as fact wrong approach often leading to ill conclusions. Seek to understand the why. The focus for safe enjoyable towing should not be payload. It should first be proper sized WDH selection then scales weight distribution max axle & CVWR. (combined vehicle weight rating) After that you can take into consideration GVWR gross vehicle weight rating ie actual payload.

This man likely only needs an education as obviously do many who dispense advice to newbies on the how & why to properly set up a load. Sure if you have no clue what to do you can cover it up with a large enough TV. But you have him buying a large expensive dedicated TV that without scale work & driving do we know his current vehicle isn't comfortably capable.

Mfg ratings among other things are tools. But if you reach over the hammer to grab the drill to use as a hammer..

Eddie enjoy taking your family camping & make memories. When you get some time take some time to learn weight distribution & set up at a scale for the safety of your family & enjoyable towing.

The answer to what can my 1/2 ton tow; Generically whatever TT has a GVWR less than TV’s max tow rating. Specifically is found on CAT scale via weight distribution with TV TT & WDH. Best motor & gearing all 5 Mfgs within specs IE safe & stable normally to 8k but passengers & bedload reduce this. RAM 1500 ED max tow 9,200, max axle ratings 3,900, max 09-18 CVWR 15,950, axle weights me & gear 3,240 steer 2,560 drive
VernDiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 11:28 AM   #27

In this case the Jeep was just way to far off. A modern Grand Cherokee with the V6 is really nothing more than a 4wd Grand Caravan without the 3rd row seats. The regular Cherokee is a Dodge Dart for crying out loud. These things can tow a family run about boat or a pair of jetskis but the physics of a camper are much different. It's not just weight but length, aerodynamics, width, etc. I don't think a 2500 was necessary but it can't hurt if towing the camper is the primary use of the truck.
Hersbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 12:07 PM   #28

While that F-250 is admittedly way more truck than you need for what what you are towing, it gives you plenty of room to grow into something larger down the road if you desire. Smart decision to think ahead!
ronheater70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 02:53 PM   #29

Good choice. You will be much happier not having to worry about all those numbers.
Old 08-06-2017, 06:29 PM   #30

Made a great choice f250 . I have a Jeep Grand Cherokee Diesel. I wouldn't want to tow a trailer that large. The hitch weight is limited.
jlgail4309 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 11:43 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlgail4309 View Post
Made a great choice f250 . I have a Jeep Grand Cherokee Diesel. I wouldn't want to tow a trailer that large. The hitch weight is limited.
I have the same Jeep. It has no problem pulling my 26' camper in a pinch but wouldn't want to make a habit of it.
Old 08-07-2017, 01:08 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by VernDiesel View Post
This whole thread is so disturbing. The wrong focus and mis information is so rampant in these forums we can't overcome the sheer volume of repeated as fact wrong approach often leading to ill conclusions....
Amen brother ! There are two extreme opinions when it comes to towing: "My 1/2 ton truck is rated to tow 10000 lbs so let's hook up a 35ft bumper pull", or "use a 1 ton to tow a 4500lbs trailer".

In reality it's all about the proper setup, and understanding that towing is a multi-dimensional problem. A 7000 lbs dump trailer is easier to tow than a 7000 lbs travel trailer. A heavier and longer wheelbase truck tows better than a lighter and shorter SUV with the same engine/transmission.

Currently running a RAM 1500 with the 3.6 Pentastar and I used to own a WK Grand Cherokee with the 5.7 Hemi, and while both have similar tow ratings I'd pick the RAM any day.
TheGerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 06:06 AM   #33

I have he ML 2506s. I did an actual weighing. It is over 6500 pounds with a hefty 900 pound tongue weight. I had to trade my Expedition with max tow package for an F250 because the tongue weight was too close to the 920 max and the drive axle weight was actually over the max even with a good Blu Ox Sway Pro WDH on. And I felt the sway of the camper quite a bit. So you made a good choice.
LLMRPh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 06:08 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hersbird View Post
In this case the Jeep was just way to far off. A modern Grand Cherokee with the V6 is really nothing more than a 4wd Grand Caravan without the 3rd row seats. The regular Cherokee is a Dodge Dart for crying out loud. These things can tow a family run about boat or a pair of jetskis but the physics of a camper are much different. It's not just weight but length, aerodynamics, width, etc. I don't think a 2500 was necessary but it can't hurt if towing the camper is the primary use of the truck.
Please do your homework before you post. The GC and Durango are based on the Mercedes ML/GL platform (from the Daimler/Chrysler days). RWD based architecture. The platform is superior to most unibody suv's (including the truck based suv it replaced, even as old as the design is) and its premium driving experience shows this.

To the OP congrats on your purchase, you can't have too much TV. Just hope it fits your needs/usage...
GAWRF: 3900 GAWRR: 4100 GCWR: 17,000
Payload Sticker: 1,867 lbs Tow Capacity: 11,767 lbs
Towing a nice 5th wheel near you
m2kamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 11:46 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by m2kamp View Post
Please do your homework before you post. The GC and Durango are based on the Mercedes ML/GL platform (from the Daimler/Chrysler days). RWD based architecture. The platform is superior to most unibody suv's (including the truck based suv it replaced, even as old as the design is) and its premium driving experience shows this.

To the OP congrats on your purchase, you can't have too much TV. Just hope it fits your needs/usage...
It is not superior to most unibody suvs, it is just another average unibody SUV. It is not far removed from a minivan and I would argue the latest Chrysler minivan platform (RU) is actually superior to the almost decade old Wk, WD, HC Latest Durango which was a step down towing wise from the HB Durango and Aspen it replaced. I never said the Durango was based on the minivan, just that it's a glorified minivan. The regular Cherokee is based on the Dart though.
Hersbird is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cherokee, rockwood