Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-25-2015, 04:57 PM   #21

Straight Line

Yes. Reese works very well as long as you don't change it. I was given the 12,000/1,200 "round bar" hitch with the Open Range JT337RLS. One trip gross was 10,500 (9080 axles and 1180 tongue weight) and tried to find 5 or 6 link chain hang. Dealer had set it up on uneven ground and said it was good. WRONG!

Several reassemblies later, all was well until chain hangers started bending. Reset again and maybe it's good. We'll see on next 800 mile round trip before trade in time.

I just discovered Curt WDH has grease fitting and is a cross between the Blue Ox with chains and the Equalizer with 4 pt. sway. I have time to decide as still no build date on our 30WFKSS Flagstaff. Want either a better chain setup of no chains at all.

OH! Straight Line always noisey in turns, hence, bent hanger. It was not set right.
whatsupchuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 05:21 PM   #22

Whatsupchuck,you have (Reese Round Bars) with (Dual Cam)? Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 05:43 PM   #23

Whatsupchuck,are you using (Friction Bars Also)? Just trying to figure where your (Noise) is coming from! Need reply. Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 06:02 PM   #24

Round Bar Straight Line Reese

There were two versions in 2012. One was trunion and I got round bar. Noise comes from bars sliding in the bracket bolted to the frame and hung on the chains. As I said, it was set up wrong at stealer. I had to learn on myownself (so to speak) and start over from a scratch.

Dealer said they were noisey in turns and it sure was/is. Even the part bolted to the frame was installed about an inch to short. Had to make it do as stealer 500 miles one way and the holes already in the frame.

During turns, there will be a sudden snap you can even feel in seat of pants and of course it is loud. Otherwise, two bent chain snap brackets later and several resetups it might be better. I'm trading it off and don't want another due to holes in the frame.

Towing is a breeze and semi trucks don't bother it at all. I used to drive hauling steel before USAF after leaving college. Got used to being passed until I got my Duramax and now I am the passer.
Old 08-25-2015, 06:03 PM   #25

No Friction Bar/Bars

Of course no bars. More holes when not needed?
Old 08-26-2015, 01:06 AM   #26
Just a member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatsupchuck View Post
Noise comes from bars sliding in the bracket bolted to the frame and hung on the chains.
Round bar setup here too. Use WD-40 on the cams and they are quiet as a mouse. Just have to clean em off every so often.

Unfortunate the dealer mucked up your original install.

kandl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rockwood, sway