Originally Posted by Dave_Monica
The manufacturer likes to claim that they're half ton towable but they never seem to consider the effect of pin weight verses available payload.
Dave! They ARE 1/2 ton towable! Just without anyone but the driver in the truck and nothing in the camper!
As for Rockwood06, I have to say you will be pushing the envelope.
Remember some things about design specs (I am sure the same that applies to limits in the aircraft industry apply to the truck industry).
1) Design limits are there to insure that the "item" will last out its useful life without failure. Engineers need something to work from so they decide what that "design life" will be. 10 years, 10000 landings, 30 years, whatever.
2) With aircraft weight is critical so nothing can be made stronger or heavier than it needs to be to meet the design spec. I think we can safely say this is true of trucks as well since the heavier they make the truck for a given power footprint; the less payload it will have.
3) If you exceed the designed load factor, something that the designers took into consideration will be stressed beyond its designed limit. What HAPPENS depends on WHAT limit is exceeded; the amount of the overload; and the duration of the overload.
For example, take a paperclip and straighten it out. Grab the ends and begin flexing the wire slightly. It will take a long time to work harden a random section of wire and it will suddenly snap. Now take a new one and do the same thing just increase the amplitude of the bend (bend it further). It will break much sooner.
So, say you are overloaded by a few hundred pounds; are you unsafe? Probably not. (In fact, in my truck a slightly overloaded pin weight makes my truck more stable, thus "safer")
What it most likely will do is reduce the useful life of your truck with the additional frame flexing. Most folks trade their truck every 6 -7 years and the problem moves on to someone else who may never tow (so no harm no foul).
Or, they may have their truck break down and leave them on the side of the highway.
No one here can tell you what to do. Heck even my DW can't tell me what to do even though she is way smarter than me (she married me right). So knowing what the numbers are is 90% of the battle. You then need to decide what you want to do with the other 10%
The idea is to
and not worry about the truck or the camper.