Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-10-2017, 02:13 PM   #1

Rookie question--does this look ok to you?

Just came home from our first trip out in our Mini Lite 2507s. Towed it 90 miles home and no issues. Backed it into the driveway and we noticed that the tires look weird.....almost like they are slanted. We pulled it forward...they look ok, but each time we turn even 30 degrees, they look like they are crooked. We didn'tClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5350.jpg
Views:	259
Size:	280.6 KB
ID:	147806Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5347.jpg
Views:	263
Size:	298.8 KB
ID:	147807 notice it when it sat in the driveway for a week when we brought it home. Are they supposed to look like this when you park at a slight angle? Our previous trailer never did, but we realize that the Rockwoods have a different type of axle and suspension system. We're headed out next week on a seven hour trip....just don't want to take off with an issue if there is indeed one. Thanks for your help!
caroljagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 02:25 PM   #2

Totally normal.

Personally I don't leave them like that. I will jack up each axle if I can't back the trailer straight for them to even out.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 03:02 PM   #3

When you back in a dual-axle trailer, you end up pivoting on 1, and sliding the other sideways (which is why that 1 tire looks crooked). Or if loading is near perfect, you could be sliding 1 of them in 1 direction, and the other in the other direction. The harder you jackknife the rig, the more you are side-loading those tires. At the campground, on dirt/grass/turf...no big deal.

Better for the tires not to leave them like this. On occasions when I put my trailer in the driveway, you can usually get the trailer near where you want it, then pull forward a little with opposite steering, and it will relieve this binding.

Or, pull forward to get yourself more straight, then back in again. Do a 3rd time if necessary. It feels good to hit your mark the first time, but do what you need to do to unbind those tires.
Equal-i-zer WDH (10k), Prodigy Brake Controller
thebrakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 03:08 PM   #4

I am happy to hear that is normal as well. Since replacing the tires this year I have been watching them more closely and saw the same thing. Kinda spooked me the first time I saw it when making a really sharp turn, but after straightening out it looked fine so I just figured it must be OK.
Old 08-10-2017, 03:39 PM   #5
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Normal, but be aware... I've seen guys roll the tire right off the rim jack-knifing the rig on asphalt and/or bend an axle.

I've also seen the center link between the springs flip over on one end.

Just don't go too far.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 03:42 PM   #6

One of the many reasons I have a power dolly - FYI for sale now that I have an RV.
270S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 03:45 PM   #7
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270S View Post
One of the many reasons I have a power dolly - FYI for sale now that I have an RV.
Was your last unit not an R/V?
(Recreational Vehicle)

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 04:02 PM   #8
Just as confused as you

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
Was your last unit not an R/V?
(Recreational Vehicle)
I thought RV was the abbreviation for Rotten Vegetables.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 04:49 PM   #9

this is why I do not post (help) much anymore - most posts are not trying to answer or assisting original poster.
Old 08-10-2017, 05:05 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by caroljagger View Post
Just came home from our first trip out in our Mini Lite 2507s. Towed it 90 miles home and no issues. Backed it into the driveway and we noticed that the tires look weird.....almost like they are slanted. We pulled it forward...they look ok, but each time we turn even 30 degrees, they look like they are crooked. We didn'tAttachment 147806Attachment 147807 notice it when it sat in the driveway for a week when we brought it home. Are they supposed to look like this when you park at a slight angle? Our previous trailer never did, but we realize that the Rockwoods have a different type of axle and suspension system. We're headed out next week on a seven hour trip....just don't want to take off with an issue if there is indeed one. Thanks for your help!
I questioned the exact same thing when I had my first pull behind.
As others said, normal. If you pull it forward a little (straight) you will see it will change.
Don't worry about it at all.
markb5900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 05:13 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by markb5900 View Post
I questioned the exact same thing when I had my first pull behind.
As others said, normal. If you pull it forward a little (straight) you will see it will change.
Don't worry about it at all.
I would "worry" about it. I never leave anything under stress - yes it is under stress at that point. How much depends on how much the wheel is not parallel/straight with the other one. I was particularly careful with the power dolly because I did have the option to make 90 degree turns vs 30 or so with the TV. If I over turned (too tight), the wheels/axles did exactly that and could be over 6" out. As soon as I realized it the first time, I did not make such tight turns any more and made sure I was going 100% straight when I finished/parked. I did not want to snap an axle, rim, tire, ...

Each has their choice. I'm not forcing anyone to agree, I'm just voicing my observations and opinion after years of .....
Old 08-10-2017, 05:28 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270S View Post
I would "worry" about it. I never leave anything under stress - yes it is under stress at that point. How much depends on how much the wheel is not parallel/straight with the other one. I was particularly careful with the power dolly because I did have the option to make 90 degree turns vs 30 or so with the TV. If I over turned (too tight), the wheels/axles did exactly that and could be over 6" out. As soon as I realized it the first time, I did not make such tight turns any more and made sure I was going 100% straight when I finished/parked. I did not want to snap an axle, rim, tire, ...

Each has their choice. I'm not forcing anyone to agree, I'm just voicing my observations and opinion after years of .....

I agree, we each have our own opinions about things and experiences.
Let the OP read and decide.
I also have years of ..... Started in RV's in the 70's.
markb5900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 07:28 PM   #13

Thanks for the helpful info, everyone! You think you know until you find out that you don't we have a weird driveway that has a curve to it. Gonna just park that baby right up the middle!
caroljagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 12:28 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by markb5900 View Post
I agree, we each have our own opinions about things and experiences.
Let the OP read and decide.
I also have years of ..... Started in RV's in the 70's.
X2
Vetnam67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 03:08 PM   #15

Axle nuts

I had a newer Flagstaff fifth wheel which the axle nuts were not tightned properly at the factory and my wheel fell off at an exit in Kentucky...they checked the three remaining ones and they were also loose....almost a catastrophe..After three Forest river RV'S i finally bought a THOR built fifth wheel and i love it...what a difference in QUALITY...
Old 08-11-2017, 03:21 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyinfla View Post
I had a newer Flagstaff fifth wheel which the axle nuts were not tightned properly at the factory and my wheel fell off at an exit in Kentucky...they checked the three remaining ones and they were also loose....almost a catastrophe..After three Forest river RV'S i finally bought a THOR built fifth wheel and i love it...what a difference in QUALITY...
The fact that lug nuts were loose means ForestRiver has bad quality? I would say that dealer has bad quality in letting a trailer out like that...same thing could happen to any brand of trailer. BTW...picking up a trailer next weekend. I will be checking lugnuts on way out and that is not because of this post.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 03:29 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by babock View Post
Totally normal.

Personally I don't leave them like that. I will jack up each axle if I can't back the trailer straight for them to even out.
X2, either pull straight ahead or back (or both) and they will self align. Otherwise the jack works as well. If you use the jack you will see and hear them when the tire breaks traction. There is a lot of tension on those rims.
PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 07:57 PM   #18

Not lug nuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by babock View Post
The fact that lug nuts were loose means ForestRiver has bad quality? I would say that dealer has bad quality in letting a trailer out like that...same thing could happen to any brand of trailer. BTW...picking up a trailer next weekend. I will be checking lugnuts on way out and that is not because of this post.
wasn't lug nuts it was the castle nuts that hold the wheel on...
Old 08-11-2017, 08:39 PM   #19

Y'all are prolly all right...it looks like the inside of the tire is worn to me. If these are the new tires??? I would be checking it. Maybe pins are rusted/stuck need lube/replacement.

A quality front end shop can check it for you.

Your call. Good luck.
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roo