Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-09-2015, 07:23 AM   #1

Roto-Flex Pin Box

When I ordered my Fifth Wheel I upgraded the pin box to the Roto-flex, I have read a lot about stress on the fifth wheel with a standard pin box, can I get some feedback on the Roto-Flex, should I have spend the extra grand and got the Air Ride pin box or is the Roto-Flex good enough
Jz5g52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 07:44 AM   #2

don't know about the roto-flex. I have the air ride.not sure any of them are worth the extra money looking to put shocks on my 5 er
wire1946 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 09:10 AM   #3

We had the TravelAire on the previous 5th wheel and now have the Roto Flex. Its my perception the TravelAire cushions those occasions when you find a bump that you didn't see in time to slow down more and maybe I'd rather have the TravelAire for that reason. But I had trouble keeping air in the TravelAire and it was a bit trickier to get the hitch to release when I was unhooking. The TravelAire will work without enough air, but it of course doesn't work to cushion the load without air. As of now I'm happy with the Roto Flex.
StoneyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 10:41 AM   #4

I should have gotten the roto -flex then .no one can tell me how much air to put in the bladder .so run about 60 # still bounces alot
wire1946 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 01:09 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by wire1946 View Post
I should have gotten the roto -flex then .no one can tell me how much air to put in the bladder .so run about 60 # still bounces alot
Mine had a yellow arrow pointing up and we put air in it until the tip of the arrow was even with the edge of the front of the hitch. Of course you do this with the trailer attached and then may need to move the trailer a bit to let it settle. I ended up putting about 75lbs in to get it at the correct level.
StoneyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 05:59 PM   #6

JZ, I would reconsider. I had the TrailAir TriGlide on my last rig and it was great. That and the standard Trail Air have been discontinued. Now there is the renamed Trail Air which now called the AirRide. Then there is the RotoFlex that you ordered. The best of both worlds is now the FlexAir that combines the RotoFlex and the AirRide. I would upgrade to the FlexAir if you can. It is the best hitch out there and well worth the $. Everyone is fine with a standard steel pinbox until they try an upgrade. It's like the remote for your TV. You don't know you need it until you get used to it. Then, god forbid anyone take it away...
taken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 06:12 PM   #7
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by taken View Post
JZ, I would reconsider. I had the TrailAir TriGlide on my last rig and it was great. That and the standard Trail Air have been discontinued. Now there is the renamed Trail Air which now called the AirRide. Then there is the RotoFlex that you ordered. The best of both worlds is now the FlexAir that combines the RotoFlex and the AirRide. I would upgrade to the FlexAir if you can. It is the best hitch out there and well worth the $. Everyone is fine with a standard steel pinbox until they try an upgrade. It's like the remote for your TV. You don't know you need it until you get used to it. Then, god forbid anyone take it away...
That's why I put shocks on the trailer due to using the factory Reese Revolution pinbox and activated.
Old 04-11-2015, 06:16 PM   #8

I'm thinking of doing the same OC. I'm probably going with the JoyRider kit. They didn't make a FlexAir for my 21k GVWR so I went 5th Airborne. It also fit under my factory fiberglass pinbox cover which was a plus. However it won't completely eliminate chucking so shocks are next. Fancy pinboxes only hide the issue. Shocks help cure it at the source...
Old 04-11-2015, 06:45 PM   #9
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by taken View Post
I'm thinking of doing the same OC. I'm probably going with the JoyRider kit. They didn't make a FlexAir for my 21k GVWR so I went 5th Airborne. It also fit under my factory fiberglass pinbox cover which was a plus. However it won't completely eliminate chucking so shocks are next. Fancy pinboxes only hide the issue. Shocks help cure it at the source...
You must have springs and shackles, I have Al Ko torsion axles and had to design and fab everything. Big job, but wonderful results.
Old 04-11-2015, 06:54 PM   #10

That is correct on the springs. I'd love to upgrade to torsion and disk brakes but it's not in the near future. If I had your fab skills it might happen sooner but I'm better with construction than metal fab. Drywall, paint, wallpaper, electrical, plumbing, tile, etc. no problem. Never bought a welder or had anyone to teach me that though. Been soliciting for years but no takers...