Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2015, 08:23 AM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Sterling Heights MI
Posts: 96
Roto-Flex Pin Box

When I ordered my Fifth Wheel I upgraded the pin box to the Roto-flex, I have read a lot about stress on the fifth wheel with a standard pin box, can I get some feedback on the Roto-Flex, should I have spend the extra grand and got the Air Ride pin box or is the Roto-Flex good enough
__________________

__________________
Jz5g52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 08:44 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Delaware
Posts: 242
don't know about the roto-flex. I have the air ride.not sure any of them are worth the extra money looking to put shocks on my 5 er
__________________

__________________
wire1946 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 10:10 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
StoneyG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 212
We had the TravelAire on the previous 5th wheel and now have the Roto Flex. Its my perception the TravelAire cushions those occasions when you find a bump that you didn't see in time to slow down more and maybe I'd rather have the TravelAire for that reason. But I had trouble keeping air in the TravelAire and it was a bit trickier to get the hitch to release when I was unhooking. The TravelAire will work without enough air, but it of course doesn't work to cushion the load without air. As of now I'm happy with the Roto Flex.
__________________
StoneyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 11:41 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Delaware
Posts: 242
I should have gotten the roto -flex then .no one can tell me how much air to put in the bladder .so run about 60 # still bounces alot
__________________
wire1946 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 02:09 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
StoneyG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by wire1946 View Post
I should have gotten the roto -flex then .no one can tell me how much air to put in the bladder .so run about 60 # still bounces alot
Mine had a yellow arrow pointing up and we put air in it until the tip of the arrow was even with the edge of the front of the hitch. Of course you do this with the trailer attached and then may need to move the trailer a bit to let it settle. I ended up putting about 75lbs in to get it at the correct level.
__________________
StoneyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 06:59 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Western MA
Posts: 603
JZ, I would reconsider. I had the TrailAir TriGlide on my last rig and it was great. That and the standard Trail Air have been discontinued. Now there is the renamed Trail Air which now called the AirRide. Then there is the RotoFlex that you ordered. The best of both worlds is now the FlexAir that combines the RotoFlex and the AirRide. I would upgrade to the FlexAir if you can. It is the best hitch out there and well worth the $. Everyone is fine with a standard steel pinbox until they try an upgrade. It's like the remote for your TV. You don't know you need it until you get used to it. Then, god forbid anyone take it away...
__________________
taken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 07:12 PM   #7
Mod free 5er
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Concord, NC
Posts: 24,215
Quote:
Originally Posted by taken View Post
JZ, I would reconsider. I had the TrailAir TriGlide on my last rig and it was great. That and the standard Trail Air have been discontinued. Now there is the renamed Trail Air which now called the AirRide. Then there is the RotoFlex that you ordered. The best of both worlds is now the FlexAir that combines the RotoFlex and the AirRide. I would upgrade to the FlexAir if you can. It is the best hitch out there and well worth the $. Everyone is fine with a standard steel pinbox until they try an upgrade. It's like the remote for your TV. You don't know you need it until you get used to it. Then, god forbid anyone take it away...
That's why I put shocks on the trailer due to using the factory Reese Revolution pinbox and activated.
__________________
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 07:16 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Western MA
Posts: 603
I'm thinking of doing the same OC. I'm probably going with the JoyRider kit. They didn't make a FlexAir for my 21k GVWR so I went 5th Airborne. It also fit under my factory fiberglass pinbox cover which was a plus. However it won't completely eliminate chucking so shocks are next. Fancy pinboxes only hide the issue. Shocks help cure it at the source...
__________________
taken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 07:45 PM   #9
Mod free 5er
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Concord, NC
Posts: 24,215
Quote:
Originally Posted by taken View Post
I'm thinking of doing the same OC. I'm probably going with the JoyRider kit. They didn't make a FlexAir for my 21k GVWR so I went 5th Airborne. It also fit under my factory fiberglass pinbox cover which was a plus. However it won't completely eliminate chucking so shocks are next. Fancy pinboxes only hide the issue. Shocks help cure it at the source...
You must have springs and shackles, I have Al Ko torsion axles and had to design and fab everything. Big job, but wonderful results.
__________________
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 07:54 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Western MA
Posts: 603
That is correct on the springs. I'd love to upgrade to torsion and disk brakes but it's not in the near future. If I had your fab skills it might happen sooner but I'm better with construction than metal fab. Drywall, paint, wallpaper, electrical, plumbing, tile, etc. no problem. Never bought a welder or had anyone to teach me that though. Been soliciting for years but no takers...
__________________

__________________
taken is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:41 AM.