Old 07-15-2013, 07:30 PM   #1

Rough rider

Due to our ever growing flock of children, the dog, and the need to have some cargo room we are now towing our TT with a 2012 Chevy Express 3500 extended. I love the extra room and it gets better mileage both solo and towing than our Sequoia in the same situations. The problem I have is rough ride/bouncing while towing. I never expected this vehicle to ride well empty and it has not disappointed, it rides like a covered wagon. But I really thought things would smooth out a bit when fully loaded with the camper. When towing the back end seems to bounce over bumps which I find very unsettling, especially around curves. I would liken it to towing a trailer with a high tongue weight with no WDH. Maybe someone can shed some light on my hitch set up as I have never set up a WDH on a 1 ton vehicle. When I hooked the trailer up to set up the hitch the rear end dropped less than 1/2 inch and the front raised 1/4 inch, with no WDH engaged. I set it up and the back now drops about a 1/4 and the front raises 1/8 from unloaded. My tongue weight is right around 900# and I am using a Equil-I-zer 10k/1k hitch. Is there anything with the hitch to help or is the problem all in the suspension? I will say that the extra wheelbase has made a HUGE difference in highway towing, it makes the trailer seem like something that's just tagging along rather than the constant twitchyness from the short wheelbase Sequoia. I just hope this ride issue can be fixed so my towing life could be complete bliss!

Old 07-15-2013, 09:55 PM   #2

It feels like the trailer is pushing down too hard or does it feel like it's too light? Almost sounds like there's not enough weight on the rear of the TV from the description. Maybe adjust your equalizer so it's not transferring so much weight forward.
Is the bounce on all roads at all speeds or just certain roads like concrete?

Old 07-15-2013, 10:03 PM   #3
Mod free 5er

With a 1 ton truck and only 900# tongue wt, I would think just dual friction sway controls is all you would need without even using a wdh.
Old 07-15-2013, 10:15 PM   #4

A trip to the scales is what you need. Could be light tong weight, bad shocks or light WD bars.

JohnIII was 1/2 right. It sounds to me too like you may need more tong weight.

Adjusting your WD hitch bars will have little effect on your tong weight. That would adjust how much of your tong weight is on each of the TV axles.

You could lower your hitch head or move more weight to the front of the TT to add tong weight.
2008 Harley Davidson Road King 105th Anniversary
(2011-5 bad year)(2012-40)(2013-45)(2014-23)
Road-King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 10:35 PM   #5

WDH will really depend on the load carrying capability of the hitch set up - see Trailer Hitch Classes Defined and Explained I would think it is require in this situation . For rough ride I would start with tire pressure - perhaps over inflated for load -- on the 2500 I am still working it out but I am now at 65 front 75 rear and I think I am close -- I would then check to make sure the shocks are in good shape - if they are good (not seized or low on fluid) then move to the hitch setup
Old 07-16-2013, 07:50 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnIII View Post
Is the bounce on all roads at all speeds or just certain roads like concrete?
It seems to be on all types of roads and the faster I go the worse it gets.
Old 07-16-2013, 07:54 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt. Schultz View Post
WDH will really depend on the load carrying capability of the hitch set up - see Trailer Hitch Classes Defined and Explained I would think it is require in this situation . For rough ride I would start with tire pressure - perhaps over inflated for load -- on the 2500 I am still working it out but I am now at 65 front 75 rear and I think I am close -- I would then check to make sure the shocks are in good shape - if they are good (not seized or low on fluid) then move to the hitch setup
I have tried tire pressure from 65psi to 80pst and haven't really seen much difference. This van only has 9k miles, I doubt the shocks would be worn out that quick.
Old 07-16-2013, 11:35 AM   #8
daydreaming about camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizmo0706 View Post
Due to our ever growing flock of children, the dog, and the need to have some cargo room we are now towing our TT with a 2012 Chevy Express 3500 extended. I love the extra room and it gets better mileage both solo and towing than our Sequoia in the same situations. The problem I have is rough ride/bouncing while towing. I never expected this vehicle to ride well empty and it has not disappointed, it rides like a covered wagon. But I really thought things would smooth out a bit when fully loaded with the camper. When towing the back end seems to bounce over bumps which I find very unsettling, especially around curves. I would liken it to towing a trailer with a high tongue weight with no WDH. Maybe someone can shed some light on my hitch set up as I have never set up a WDH on a 1 ton vehicle. When I hooked the trailer up to set up the hitch the rear end dropped less than 1/2 inch and the front raised 1/4 inch, with no WDH engaged. I set it up and the back now drops about a 1/4 and the front raises 1/8 from unloaded. My tongue weight is right around 900# and I am using a Equil-I-zer 10k/1k hitch. Is there anything with the hitch to help or is the problem all in the suspension? I will say that the extra wheelbase has made a HUGE difference in highway towing, it makes the trailer seem like something that's just tagging along rather than the constant twitchyness from the short wheelbase Sequoia. I just hope this ride issue can be fixed so my towing life could be complete bliss!
what are your trailer specs? That looks like a long trailer in your pic for 900lbs tongue weight, but hard to say.

I used to tow 10K cargo trailer occasionally with a one ton van. It is a little different than a pick up. First off, the rear axle is quite a bit closer to the rear of the vehicle. I noticed that the trailer seemed to have more porpoising pull on the van than my pickup. probably some complicated engineer explanation about leverage there. That van settled down a good bit with more weight in it though.

2013 Coachmen Freedom Express 320BHDS pulled by a 2005 F250 King Ranch CC

A rainy day camping is better than a sunny day at work.
jeeplj8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 12:14 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeplj8 View Post

what are your trailer specs? That looks like a long trailer in your pic for 900lbs tongue weight, but hard to say.
It's a 2012 Coachmen 28dds. 6018 empty and a 7700# GVWR. Factory empty hitch weight is 748#. When I weighed it last it was right around 7k loaded and a little over 900# hitch weight. The only thing about the setup that has changed since the last weigh in is the tow vehicle and the fact that the bicycles are now in the TV instead of the TT. If you need anymore info just let me know.
Old 07-16-2013, 12:20 PM   #10
daydreaming about camping

Given that, 900 pounds is not much to put on the back of a 1 ton van. have you tried pulling it without any WDH hooked up?

2013 Coachmen Freedom Express 320BHDS pulled by a 2005 F250 King Ranch CC

A rainy day camping is better than a sunny day at work.
jeeplj8 is offline   Reply With Quote