Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-15-2013, 06:30 PM   #1

Rough rider

Due to our ever growing flock of children, the dog, and the need to have some cargo room we are now towing our TT with a 2012 Chevy Express 3500 extended. I love the extra room and it gets better mileage both solo and towing than our Sequoia in the same situations. The problem I have is rough ride/bouncing while towing. I never expected this vehicle to ride well empty and it has not disappointed, it rides like a covered wagon. But I really thought things would smooth out a bit when fully loaded with the camper. When towing the back end seems to bounce over bumps which I find very unsettling, especially around curves. I would liken it to towing a trailer with a high tongue weight with no WDH. Maybe someone can shed some light on my hitch set up as I have never set up a WDH on a 1 ton vehicle. When I hooked the trailer up to set up the hitch the rear end dropped less than 1/2 inch and the front raised 1/4 inch, with no WDH engaged. I set it up and the back now drops about a 1/4 and the front raises 1/8 from unloaded. My tongue weight is right around 900# and I am using a Equil-I-zer 10k/1k hitch. Is there anything with the hitch to help or is the problem all in the suspension? I will say that the extra wheelbase has made a HUGE difference in highway towing, it makes the trailer seem like something that's just tagging along rather than the constant twitchyness from the short wheelbase Sequoia. I just hope this ride issue can be fixed so my towing life could be complete bliss!
Gizmo0706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 08:55 PM   #2

It feels like the trailer is pushing down too hard or does it feel like it's too light? Almost sounds like there's not enough weight on the rear of the TV from the description. Maybe adjust your equalizer so it's not transferring so much weight forward.
Is the bounce on all roads at all speeds or just certain roads like concrete?
John4th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 09:03 PM   #3
Mod free 5er

With a 1 ton truck and only 900# tongue wt, I would think just dual friction sway controls is all you would need without even using a wdh.
Old 07-15-2013, 09:15 PM   #4

A trip to the scales is what you need. Could be light tong weight, bad shocks or light WD bars.

JohnIII was 1/2 right. It sounds to me too like you may need more tong weight.

Adjusting your WD hitch bars will have little effect on your tong weight. That would adjust how much of your tong weight is on each of the TV axles.

You could lower your hitch head or move more weight to the front of the TT to add tong weight.
2008 Harley Davidson Road King 105th Anniversary
(2011-5 bad year)(2012-40)(2013-45)(2014-23)
Road-King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 09:35 PM   #5

WDH will really depend on the load carrying capability of the hitch set up - see Trailer Hitch Classes Defined and Explained I would think it is require in this situation . For rough ride I would start with tire pressure - perhaps over inflated for load -- on the 2500 I am still working it out but I am now at 65 front 75 rear and I think I am close -- I would then check to make sure the shocks are in good shape - if they are good (not seized or low on fluid) then move to the hitch setup
Old 07-16-2013, 06:50 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnIII View Post
Is the bounce on all roads at all speeds or just certain roads like concrete?
It seems to be on all types of roads and the faster I go the worse it gets.
Old 07-16-2013, 06:54 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt. Schultz View Post
WDH will really depend on the load carrying capability of the hitch set up - see Trailer Hitch Classes Defined and Explained I would think it is require in this situation . For rough ride I would start with tire pressure - perhaps over inflated for load -- on the 2500 I am still working it out but I am now at 65 front 75 rear and I think I am close -- I would then check to make sure the shocks are in good shape - if they are good (not seized or low on fluid) then move to the hitch setup
I have tried tire pressure from 65psi to 80pst and haven't really seen much difference. This van only has 9k miles, I doubt the shocks would be worn out that quick.
Old 07-16-2013, 10:35 AM   #8
daydreaming about camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizmo0706 View Post
Due to our ever growing flock of children, the dog, and the need to have some cargo room we are now towing our TT with a 2012 Chevy Express 3500 extended. I love the extra room and it gets better mileage both solo and towing than our Sequoia in the same situations. The problem I have is rough ride/bouncing while towing. I never expected this vehicle to ride well empty and it has not disappointed, it rides like a covered wagon. But I really thought things would smooth out a bit when fully loaded with the camper. When towing the back end seems to bounce over bumps which I find very unsettling, especially around curves. I would liken it to towing a trailer with a high tongue weight with no WDH. Maybe someone can shed some light on my hitch set up as I have never set up a WDH on a 1 ton vehicle. When I hooked the trailer up to set up the hitch the rear end dropped less than 1/2 inch and the front raised 1/4 inch, with no WDH engaged. I set it up and the back now drops about a 1/4 and the front raises 1/8 from unloaded. My tongue weight is right around 900# and I am using a Equil-I-zer 10k/1k hitch. Is there anything with the hitch to help or is the problem all in the suspension? I will say that the extra wheelbase has made a HUGE difference in highway towing, it makes the trailer seem like something that's just tagging along rather than the constant twitchyness from the short wheelbase Sequoia. I just hope this ride issue can be fixed so my towing life could be complete bliss!
what are your trailer specs? That looks like a long trailer in your pic for 900lbs tongue weight, but hard to say.

I used to tow 10K cargo trailer occasionally with a one ton van. It is a little different than a pick up. First off, the rear axle is quite a bit closer to the rear of the vehicle. I noticed that the trailer seemed to have more porpoising pull on the van than my pickup. probably some complicated engineer explanation about leverage there. That van settled down a good bit with more weight in it though.

2013 Coachmen Freedom Express 320BHDS pulled by a 2005 F250 King Ranch CC

A rainy day camping is better than a sunny day at work.
jeeplj8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 11:14 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeplj8 View Post

what are your trailer specs? That looks like a long trailer in your pic for 900lbs tongue weight, but hard to say.
It's a 2012 Coachmen 28dds. 6018 empty and a 7700# GVWR. Factory empty hitch weight is 748#. When I weighed it last it was right around 7k loaded and a little over 900# hitch weight. The only thing about the setup that has changed since the last weigh in is the tow vehicle and the fact that the bicycles are now in the TV instead of the TT. If you need anymore info just let me know.
Old 07-16-2013, 11:20 AM   #10
daydreaming about camping

Given that, 900 pounds is not much to put on the back of a 1 ton van. have you tried pulling it without any WDH hooked up?

2013 Coachmen Freedom Express 320BHDS pulled by a 2005 F250 King Ranch CC

A rainy day camping is better than a sunny day at work.
jeeplj8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 11:49 AM   #11

Interesting conversation. I get some of that 'bounce' on concrete highways. Feels like it's back at the hitch. This weekend we're goig on our third trip since getting the trailer last month, and give it another evaluation. It's smooth as can be on asphalt roads, but it really 'bump bump bump' (say that real fast) on the concrete due to the seams.

Tech at the dealer (I'm lucky to have a good dealer) is not sure. He commented he gets a bit of bounce on some of the concrete highways as well with his set up (Ram 2500, 30' trailer). He says he hears that a lot with full-size vehicles (trucks and vans.) As some of you have commented, he suggested moving some more weight when we pack to the front of the trailer. But if it does need adjusting, it'll be free of charge. I think I may need to move the hitch head height down a notch. My spring bars are 550#, so I 'm pretty sure I'm not too tight there. If I get an adjustment, I'll post so the OP can have something to go by. Good thread.
John4th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 11:49 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeplj8 View Post
Given that, 900 pounds is not much to put on the back of a 1 ton van. have you tried pulling it without any WDH hooked up?
The hitch on the van says anything over 600# requires a WDH hitch so that is not an option.
Any thoughts on air bags? I had them on my last two TV's and liked them a lot to firm up a soft suspension. I really never thought I would need them on this vehicle though and they are a fair bit more cash for this vehicle compared to my last TV's.
Old 07-16-2013, 11:52 AM   #13

If the other suggestions don't help you may want to consider installing Sulastic Shackles,they should smooth out your ride and won't effect the load rating of the van, I've heard nothing but good reviews from people who've installed them.
Old 07-16-2013, 03:04 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coops1 View Post
If the other suggestions don't help you may want to consider installing Sulastic Shackles,they should smooth out your ride and won't effect the load rating of the van, I've heard nothing but good reviews from people who've installed them.
That's something, I have never seen those before. Does anyone on here actually use them?
Old 07-23-2013, 01:44 PM   #15

Thanks everyone! Any more suggestions?
Old 07-23-2013, 02:31 PM   #16
Mod free 5er

Yes, but you won't like it. Put shocks on the trailer. Did it to my 5er and it stopped all dolphining, chucking etc. I know you have a tt but I suspect the trailer is bouncing and telegraphing it to the hitch. Don't want the hassle of putting shocks on the trailer, then if it were me, I would try it with no bars and then put the bars on and put the least amount of tension in the chains, like in the last link or next to last. You have nothing to loose and everything to gain and the experiment with little or no tension on the chains is FREE.
Old 07-23-2013, 02:41 PM   #17

looking at your trailer, the axles seem to be just aft of the center line - probably most of the weight from the factory is behind the axles, which makes the trailer want to teter-toter... try desperately to max out the tongue weight that your van can take (shifting weight in the TT) and in theory it should stop the trailer from wanting to teter-toter so vigorously.

I highly doubt you're anywhere needing air bags as an assist... when you say it bounces... do you mean like a Caddy floating down the road, or like a box truck with the tires "hopping"

My 1ton DRW pickup "hops" down the road empty and with my light trailers on the back. Dropping tire pressure to 65 front and rear has helped greatly with lighter loads.

I wish you the best of luck and hope that my thoughts may help you in some way with resolving your issue
Family Camper's -'96 Coleman SunValley;'00 Forest River Shamrock 25'; '12 Keystone Raptor 41'
strokendiesel002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 02:46 PM   #18
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by strokendiesel002 View Post
looking at your trailer, the axles seem to be just aft of the center line - probably most of the weight from the factory is behind the axles, which makes the trailer want to teter-toter... try desperately to max out the tongue weight that your van can take (shifting weight in the TT) and in theory it should stop the trailer from wanting to teter-toter so vigorously.

I highly doubt you're anywhere needing air bags as an assist... when you say it bounces... do you mean like a Caddy floating down the road, or like a box truck with the tires "hopping"

My 1ton DRW pickup "hops" down the road empty and with my light trailers on the back. Dropping tire pressure to 65 front and rear has helped greatly with lighter loads.

I wish you the best of luck and hope that my thoughts may help you in some way with resolving your issue
If the axles are aft of the centerline, the majority of the weight is between the axles and the tongue unless I misunderstand the meaning of aft.
Old 07-23-2013, 03:15 PM   #19

I lost my train of thought while typing

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
If the axles are aft of the centerline, the majority of the weight is between the axles and the tongue unless I misunderstand the meaning of aft.
I apologize, I should have elaborated. You understand my use of aft correct sir.

In an effort to help salespeople sell TT's easier(can be towed according to it's empty weight by a larger variety of vehicles), manufactures seem to be doing everything they can to keep the tongue weights low (light). It seems to me as though they aren't putting the axles far enough back, and putting the majority of the permanent weight behind the axles. Not to the point that it will sway violently from being too tail heavy, but enough to highly encourage porpoising.

I think that installing shocks as recommended by OldCoot would be the best starting spot.

I guess to sum up my thoughts -
1 no air spring assist needed on your new van, it's not close to being taxed.
2 vans are rough rides, typical bumper pull TT's accentuate any bouncing or hoping
3 I probably wasted a lot of your time with my rambling to get to this point, I'm sorry
4 Shocks on the TT or more weight up front are probably the only thing to slow down your bouncing.
5 if you add weight to the back of the van instead of the front of the trailer, you'll probably just get into your overload packs and the bouncing will be more harsh

my .02
Family Camper's -'96 Coleman SunValley;'00 Forest River Shamrock 25'; '12 Keystone Raptor 41'
strokendiesel002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 03:21 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by strokendiesel002 View Post

The best I can say is it feels just the back end is floating up and down over road imperfections and the front end crashes over the same bumps. I will admit this is my first full size van and some of the sensations could be from sitting so close to the front suspension and so far from the rear. I drive a one ton pickup Chevy pickup at work and it rides like a Cadillac compared to this thing. Of course it is always at its GVWR as well.
Most of this all stemmed from our recent trip through Virginia on U.S. 23, which is full of ups and downs and dips. Most roads are not a problem but I want to get this thing handling better before I have to perform some emergency maneuvers to avoid something.