Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-01-2019, 02:13 PM   #21
jkoenig24

NO simple answer to your question. You don't say what (if any) experience you have. IF you're a "newbie" to camping / RVing, (or, it's been a while) do yourself a HUGE favor and BEFORE you spend thousands of dollars, find and attend an RV Boot Camp. RVBC explains & demystifies all the systems found on a modern RV. Mistakes made with RVs are often expensive and, sometimes dangerous. RVBC grads are smarter buyers and safer RVers. At RVBC, you'll have the opportunity to meet ~ 200 other newbies (many who will already have an RV) and see MANY different rigs. Several RV groups sponsor RVBC (calling it by different names). The Escapees RV Club do an EXCELLENT RVBC usually over a weekend (I believe they originated the RVBC ). RVSEF, FMCA, RV~Dreams also do RVBCs, some as long as eight days (more social activities). There are even online versions of RVBC. Just DO it. You'll thank me later.
Regards,
John
jkoenig24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 02:17 PM   #22

to me, a classB is perfect for a single 'camper'.... easy to drive, navigate, back, setup, and you don't really 'need' much more room than that... : )

to towing or pulling necessary!
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 02:48 PM   #23

My wife passed away 1 1/2 years ago. We were full timers.now the 5th is kinda waste of space. Spend all my time in living, dining, kitchen area sleep on sofa with the cat climbing all over me. Im seriously considering downsizing to a slide in camper. Will be enough room for me and i will be able to tow my lsa with me.
jtesta1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 02:54 PM   #24

The smaller the trailer, the more places you can camp. We like to boondock and visit more out of the way places that many times large trailers and 5ers cant fit. It just depends on where you like to go and how you like to camp. Definitely get a dog. They are the best friends ever. I think visiting an RV show is a great idea to see if you really need something that big.
2015 Roo 21BD-L'ABode
lablover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 07:52 PM   #25

Solo camper

So many options out there, all with pluses and minuses. My wife and I have been using a truck camper for years. We rarely stop at RV parks, because we like to do something closer to camping rather than living like we were in a city. Easy to park, and we can go more of where we want. Just depends on what you want to do.
aircommuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 08:48 PM   #26

I agree with lablover. Go to the RV shows and look at the units you are considering. We have a 26 ft Hemisphere that has a living area with two recliners, in addition to the couch. It also has a large back window that we enjoy looking out, especially when there is a good view. In the end, you will have to purchase what is right for you, but folks can throw out ideas you may or may not have considered. Best wishes on your hunt!

2010 Ford F-150 Crew Cab
2015 Salem Hemisphere 263RL
CampingGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 08:51 PM   #27

I'm a solo female RVer and have always had a travel trailer that I manage quite well on my own (30 feet). I learned how to hitch a horse trailer by myself as a younger person, so hooking up my TT to my tow vehicle by myself has my norm. I've not had any significant problems as a solo RVer with my TT, including backing into a campsite by myself. It may require me backing up just a few feet and then getting out of the truck repeatedly to make sure I'm not going to hit anything, but I've had people in other sites come over and spot me when they see I'm alone, and I've done just fine by myself. I'd say the main thing is believing in yourself and your abilities, no matter what you are towing or driving.

I will admit that getting gas can be stressful when I have the TT with me, but it would be even if I had someone else in my truck with me. I just find it stressful to get gas with a big camper on the rear of the truck at a gas station that is new to me. Other than that, pick what type of RV will work for you, practice hitching, unhitching, backing up, etc., and then hit the open road and have a great time seeing our beautiful country!
"Know yourself, know your world. Change it." Anonymous
kittlecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 09:13 PM   #28

my sister and I started with a TT. I was doing most of the set up and with the eq hitch and all I was tired when done. We got a 5th wheel, which is much easier for me to connect and disconnect. I use the Ultimate Andersen Hitch with chains. We also got 1 with auto level. Now when we go set up takes very little time. Makes life much easier.
Tx2Stepn Yorkies
Tx2Stepn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 09:43 PM   #29

Yes, I think the secret for finding the ideal camper or RV is, first, to take your time and not get talked into something that is not you.

Browse various models, especially at RV or camping shows. At some bigger shows you can see hundreds of campers in a day or two, all sizes and shapes. While you may think a smaller unit is all you need, you could find that you enjoy the extra space of a larger RV. Conversely, when you see all the fancy units with several slides, you may not need all that. No one can really advise you on what type of unit you will enjoy for camping.

As you look at units, make notes on the features you cnsider "must haves." Do you want a permanent bed or a fold up type bed? Do you wnat a gard shell or are canvass fold-outs OK? Where do you plan to camp and during what season? If you plan to camp in the high mountains or during late fall or early spring, insulation and heating will be a focus. If you wish to camp in unshaded areas of Arisona or Florida, you may need two AC's or a smaller unit with one big AC.

Financial considerations are critical as well. If you can't afford the extra cost of a new motor home or a fifth wheel, a smaller travel trailer may fit your needs quite well. Your budget may rule out certain types of RV's.

You could even buy a used travel trailer and try camping for a year or so to see what you like or dislike about it before making a significant investment.

Be careful with dealers because they are more interested in selling what they have than giving you objective information. They also may carry just one or two brands when there are many brands out there. I visit dealers to look at models and features of certain brands but i have to be clear with them that I am doing research and not buying today.

But take your time and see what works for you. No one can tell you that but your own tastes and your own research. Take walks in campgrounds and ask people what they like (or don't like) about their camper. You'll get good unbiased information. And understand that almost everyone on this forum started out with a camper that was perfect for us and then we grew out of it within a few years. People's preferences and needs change all the time...and that's OK too.

2014 Rockwood Signature 8282 Ultra-Lite
2008 RAM 3500 HD DRW Laramie Megacab
6.7 Cummins Turbo Diesel
Grapehound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 09:55 PM   #30

Terry104410...
Quote:
My current vehicle is a 2017 f150 screw. But I would get the needed vehicle, for the rv. The reason I plan on a 30’ is the floor plan. Yes it is too big to tour with, however after a year or two of travel I plan to settle in a warm climate and use it as a winter haven for three months or so.
You have explained why you want a laarger camper now... for future use... but consider this...

Keep your current TV

buy the smaller more fuel efficient Aframe or Rpod and save on your travel fuel for the next couple of years... you will get only 7-9 MPG with the large camper and probably gain 4-5 MPG with a low-profile (less wind loading resistance) lighter camper.

In a couple of years, find a used 30+ foot trailer that you like, (not having compromised with a smaller 27 footer)... there are many out there that people are selling to upgrade to a fifth wheel.

Sell your smaller, 2 year old camper that has served it's purpose. Any loss will be offset by the amount of fuel money you have saved. We won't have cheap gas forever... environmentalists and politicians will see to that.

Just my opinion and you might want to consider this approach.

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 08:49 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachbourbon View Post
I don’t think I fully understand the choice of a 30 ft 5er for a solo camper touring the country. If it were me, I would want to downsize. Plus who’s going to spot you backing up and going into tight spots? I’m not trying to change your mind, everyone’s needs are different. I’m just trying to understand your vision.
not everyone needs a spotter it 40 years of over the road and last few years pulling a 53 ft I can count on one hand how many times I had a person to spot me even now only time I use a spotter is when I back it back into the barn.
bareftn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 01:40 PM   #32

If I was alone touring I would be in a class B. If I was moving from place to place but staying 2 months at a spot I would get a 1500 pickup and a trailer or 5th wheel small enough to be in the ratings of that truck.
Hersbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 03:27 PM   #33
"Curmudgeon"

Send a message via MSN to Trawlerphil Send a message via Yahoo to Trawlerphil
I've towed a 9,000 5er for over 18,000 miles with a Tundra, but you'll find some folks who believe an F-450 won't tow a grocery cart!
Trawlerphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 12:45 AM   #34

A lot of it is going to depend on your personal preferences, and your comfort level.

I am a solo traveler 99% of the time, and have a 23' Rockwood Mini Lite, pulling it with a half ton truck. For me, it's perfect. I spend nearly every waking minute outside the trailer, unless the weather turns bad. If it rains, I have a dry place to eat, cook, and read/watch TV, etc. With a backup camera on my truck, it's pretty easy to hook up, and I've gotten my routine down to less than 10 minutes to hook up. I like being able to leave the trailer at camp when I go out exploring, which is not always possible with a smaller motorhome, unless you tow a car.

That being said, if I had my druthers, and unlimited funds, I would probably have a Class B motorhome. Small, easy to park, unobtrusive, and can fit in nearly in any site. Also, most have a built-in generator. However, I worry about where I would put firewood, and my lawnchair, etc.

My advice would be to head to an RV dealer when you have a day with nothing better to do, and really try living in a number of RVs. Try out the bed, try maneuvering in the bathroom, try pretending to cook a meal in the kitchen. See how much space you really need, and then balance that with how large of a rig you want to travel with. No matter what, there will be some compromises to be made, you just have to decide where to make them. I compromised on having floor space to get a trailer that was small and light enough for me to pull easily, and get into national and state parks where I like to go hiking. With a larger rig, that might not be possible. Some would rather have the space, and that's OK too! So, spend a little time with them to see how much, or how little space you need, and that will dictate what you need to purchase.
2018 Camping Season: 48 nights, 7,216 Miles
2019 Camping Season: 52 nights, 6,721 Miles
2020 Camping Season: 67 nights, 7,268 Miles
KansasJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 12:57 AM   #35
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

I've been backing up trailers by myself since I was 8 years old...

I'll be 59 this July!
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 07:53 PM   #36

Bluepill and Trawlerphil got it. I had a 30 TT behind my Tundra. Now I have an R-POD 179 HRE (20" total) behind my Tacoma. Kept the Tundra for its aftermarket 48 gal tank, but can chose which rig for 'the trip.' The small tt is comfortable, convenient, and easy to clean. BUT your choice. Look'em all over and spend some time before you spend any money on a different tv. Welcome back to the good life :-)
Dirt Sifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 08:08 PM   #37

single person rv

As some one who has put about 30,000 miles on my wolf pup in the last three years I highly recommend the smallest trailer you can live in comfortably. My first trip was from south east Texas to spend the summer in Alaska and drive the Alaskan highway, and the smaller the better when it comes to fuel and stopping places. I also went my myself and if you take a dog or cat [yes quite a few had cats] then be sure if you go to Canada to get all the shots [for the animal ] and papers as the border folks will ask for it. I have a travel trailer wolf pup 16 foot and was very happy with it. There are some of the most wonderful camp sites [dry camps ] in some of the most remote places that a larger trailer just will not fit in. The best advice has already been made just get one you are comfortable with and JUST GO... Hope you have a great time and meet some of the wonderful people I did.
Rich
n5ale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 08:11 PM   #38

How bout ...

Have you thought about a Scamp or a Casita? They are also easy to toe and hitch up for one person.
2lvrvn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 08:27 PM   #39
My First Toy Hauler

[QUOTE=KansasJohn;1998473]A lot of it is going to depend on your personal preferences, and your comfort level.

So very true KansasJohn! It is all in your perspective of comfort. I am a solo camper and wanted a toy hauler big enough to haul my Harley. Ended up with a little 18' W&P to match my 1500 tv (at the time). See back in the day when I worked for Uncle Sam I would spend days or weeks sleeping in the well deck of an LCM landing craft. C-rats breakfast, lunch, and supper. Do your business in a bucket and a dirty may west for a pillow. Comfort in this camper is pretty spartan but it has a bed, bathroom, kitchen, shower, tv, heat and air. I felt like a king with all of these amenities. Had a buddy stayed with me a few days last summer. According to his wife the beds were too uncomfortable, shower too weak, bathroom too small, ect, ect. (evidently the beer that I brought WAS cold enough, LOL!) It is just all in your perspective in what YOU are comfortable with. And I still feel like a king! If I wasn't doing the toy hauler route I would probably be all over one of those new A-frame campers. I like the design and feel of the interior space.
First Toy Hauler USS Charleston LKA-113 1973-1977 HT-2 "R" Division
Rednight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 08:28 PM   #40

I travel alone about half of the year. My suggestion is to go smaller like Bluepill says. I also have an A-frame pop up. It allows for way more mobility, better fuel economy and easy back ups etc. The A-frame hold their value much better than larger units. It's got everything you need. Check it out.
Cowboybarry is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camper