Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-07-2019, 08:40 PM   #41

Personal preferences rule

I agree with many... it comes down to your preferences. Our 1st rv was a TT. We prefer the much larger windows and higher floor in our 5er. Good views from inside are so important to us. Next thought... you've got to have the right truck whatever you pull! Take your time deciding.... and last don't go to Camping World! Good luck.
BG19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 08:43 PM   #42

My personal experience was to buy a bigger trailer, going to full timing from a good sized house. In hindsight I wish I’d gone smaller. The main reasons are National Park campgrounds and spending less money on fuel. An after market backup camera is a huge help on the truck and I also added one to the trailer. You might need to hop in and out of the truck a few times when your spot is tight to be sure you avoid trees, picnic tables and power posts. I travel with a dog and the companionship is worth the restrictions. Rover.com has worked well when I have activities planned and need a full day away. Good luck and happy camping!
Soupy2016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 08:46 PM   #43
RwWildcat327re

I agree visit some rv shows. There is a lot to choose from. You make a valid point not wanting to buy small and then have to upgrade to bigger. Get what you want to begin with and again make sure you have the right tow vehicle. Look at the numbers yourself and don't take some salesman's word on what your truck will tow.
And in my opinion..5vers are some much easier to hook and unhook..especially as you age..imo
rickndebi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 08:52 PM   #44
RwWildcat327re

And keep us posted on your travels..
rickndebi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 09:22 PM   #45
RCAF VET

It doesn't matter that you're alone, pulling a 5th wheel is better than pulling a TT. A 30 footer is a good size for a lone person, try to get a 5th wheel with a good size basement, one that can may be hold a miniature fridge for extra goods. Some have a good size platform in behind to put a generator and other devices or bicycles etc.. Have fun shopping and good luck.
bazou7101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 10:30 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry104410 View Post
Looking to get into camping and touring again. I will be going alone and wanted to know if it is better to get a 5th wheel or trailer for hooking up, towing, fuel stops, backing into a site. Looking at about a 30 ft, of course 5 feet of that would be on the truck bed for a 5th wheel. What kind of issues am I missing making the lone journey. Maybe I will have to get a dog for a traveling partner.

Neither one.

Get a little 22 ft (or so) class C, with the corner bed in the back.

Goes most places a car/truck would.

NO NEED to get out, if you are forced to sleep where you don't really want to.

And....you don't have to get out to........GET OUT.
Old 01-07-2019, 10:58 PM   #47

I have a 17’ toy hauler - pull with a Tundra. I can load my bike & kayak alone and plenty of truck to master any hill with ease. Sometimes less is more.
mjwkayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 11:12 PM   #48

I just downsized to a 21 ft TT. I hope to get out more because I don’t like the limitations of pulling 30 ft behind me. I don’t like backing into small spaces by myself ( or with help!) and having less choice in campsites. I’m thinking it will be alot more manageable and I can also get a smaller tow vehicle smaller than this F350 if it ever dies. See you out there!!
salvarad26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 08:11 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachbourbon View Post
I don’t think I fully understand the choice of a 30 ft 5er for a solo camper touring the country. If it were me, I would want to downsize. Plus who’s going to spot you backing up and going into tight spots? I’m not trying to change your mind, everyone’s needs are different. I’m just trying to understand your vision.
We have a friend with a 30' 5er that travels solo. He likes his interior space and amenities without it sitting on a foundation. We spoke with him recently and he is considering going longer. When our kids were growing up, we traveled for 13 years in a 22' class C. We most often pulled a boat. To us, it was comfortable. So, the choice will ultimately go to the OP using it.

The OP has not mentioned what type of TV he has or plans on having. If he has one currently, it will determine what can be safely towed. As a suggestion, our friend with the 5er that was considering going longer also mentioned that he was not looking to buy new. His reasoning was that an older well maintained unit was a much better value that a new coach. For the OP, it would be less money and the ability to change once he got more experience while traveling.
PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 08:42 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDRJML View Post
Also check out truck campers.
Over the years, we have had 3 truck campers and each served its purpose. We took our honeymoon in a 10.5' slide-in and used it exclusively for boon docking in the years we had it. We have some great memories of Canadian back country logging trail jaunts and hunting in the west. That one was chained directly to the truck frame via bars coming out from under the box at all four corners.

But, they are pretty cumbersome even when set up properly. Also, as one ages and gets health conditions, it gets much more difficult to climb into the over-the-cab bunk. We lived in our last slide-in for over six months. DW was okay with it, but never again for me.

If boon docking is in the OP's future, as you say, it is a consideration. It was a one person job to load/remove from the bed and we did that for our longer stays and for storage..
Old 01-08-2019, 09:17 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtesta1 View Post
My wife passed away 1 1/2 years ago. We were full timers.now the 5th is kinda waste of space. Spend all my time in living, dining, kitchen area sleep on sofa with the cat climbing all over me. Im seriously considering downsizing to a slide in camper. Will be enough room for me and i will be able to tow my lsa with me.
Should you consider going to a slide-in and plan to tow, take into consideration that the hitch will have to be extended even with an 8.5' model. Depending on what you tow, that extension will considerably change the dynamics of the frame hitch. We have seen people towing cargo trailers with an extended hitch and a slide in, but we didn't trust the figures. The dealer selling us the camper was also dubious.
Old 01-08-2019, 12:09 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007matman View Post
Most of the time when we're traveling the wife and my 4 kids run off while I'm setting up or tearing down. Therefore, I'm doing it by myself.

We have a 33' Travel Trailer and I get along just fine. Some of the newer vehicles have back up cameras which would be helpful and make hooking up a cinch. I don't have one and it's fine.. I just find myself backing up carefully and getting out of the cab several times to make the connection.

Happy camping. Great way to meet people.
I know I am a little late here,
And I should keep my opinions to me self but,
I believe you doing all the setup & breakdown by your self is not a great way to raise kids !!! even tho that may be easier, Just one old mans option !!!

On camping alone, I would go 5 wheel, no way I would chose a TT !!!

Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 12:18 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolverine 1945 View Post
I know I am a little late here,

And I should keep my opinions to me self but,

I believe you doing all the setup & breakdown by your self is not a great way to raise kids !!! even tho that may be easier, Just one old mans option !!!

On camping alone, I would go 5 wheel, no way I would chose a TT !!!

Great. Thanks for the parenting advice. I really could use more of that. Wanna pay for their college too?
007matman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 12:39 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007matman View Post
Great. Thanks for the parenting advice. I really could use more of that. Wanna pay for their college too?
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 09:29 AM   #55
Going Solo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry104410 View Post
Looking to get into camping and touring again. I will be going alone and wanted to know if it is better to get a 5th wheel or trailer for hooking up, towing, fuel stops, backing into a site. Looking at about a 30 ft, of course 5 feet of that would be on the truck bed for a 5th wheel. What kind of issues am I missing making the lone journey. Maybe I will have to get a dog for a traveling partner.
You could be writing my story. I have a 38.5 5th Wheel and an F350/8' bed..too much for me. I am seeking a 30' 5th Wheel. I am capable of driving a large truck..it's the 38.5'/16,000 lbs. that I just don't want to handle. 5th wheels definitely handle better than a TT, based on 20 years of RVing. I travel with my best friend...Yaki. He's a small mix and loves to go 'bye-bye'.
tjwdj is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camper