Old 06-07-2019, 11:58 PM   #1

RV on CAT scales

Not sure how to phrase without causing controversy, but after reading thread after thread about weighing RV. It got me to thinking how many RV have I actually seen on scales. I know I have weighed twice once in each rv but not every trip and not even when I switched tow vehicles. Other than those two times I canít remember ever seeing an Rv weighing. I know people do I have seen a few weight tickets from the scales posted. However with the frequency of those saying they do. I am curious other than your own rv anybody ever see a rv on the scales

moose074 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 12:44 AM   #2

I visit the CAT scales once or twice a year to confirm my hitch set-up and to know the weight I'm pulling down the road. However, you're right .. I've never seen another travel trailer or motor-home on the scales.

Husky Centerline TS
Go West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 01:00 AM   #3

Very few and far between that an RV rolls over a scale.

One thing that I do think people get hung up on is that they "need" to use a CAT scale. I've always just used a standard scale and taken measurements and subtracted weights as I rolled on. It's a little more math but the same concept. The spreadsheet I use actually does all the calculating as I enter the scale data.

Living in WA, I need to find a CAT or other private scale. Local dirt suppliers are easy and close by with large scales.

When we travelled through OR this year and last, they have roadside scales that I have rolled across. Those are very handy and I wish we had them up here.

2017 Forest River Surveyor 247BHDS...
...Tugged by a 2016 F250 XLT FX4 SuperCrew, Shortbed 6.2L, 4wd, 3.73...
...Joined with a Husky Centerline TS 800-1200lbs WDH
clarkbre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 01:05 AM   #4
Fulltime family RVer

I’ve seen it at least once. Was a motorhome. Pulled on while my wife was running inside to get our first weigh slip.
Old 06-08-2019, 08:45 AM   #5

I've been to the Petro CAT scales in Sparks, NV 3 times.
I try to be accommodating to commercial drivers by not sitting on the scales too long.
Old 06-08-2019, 09:10 AM   #6
llr

I never saw another camper on the scale but I have never seen a truck on them either.
I weighed my TT with my f150 as it wasn't stable and wanted to be sure it was set up properly. Weights were perfect so I replaced the truck. I will probably go at some point but it tows so well now it is not really needed.
Old 06-08-2019, 09:12 AM   #7

I have weighed every 5er, I have owned 3 different 5er's and each one was heavier and longer then the last unit. I usually weigh the unit in the heaviest condition and go from their, as we very rarely change what we carry when traveling.

I also travel with my holding tanks empty, there maybe a couple of gallons in the waste tanks but nothing more. The fresh water tank is always empty in fact the tank drain valve is open at every trip to insure that the tank is empty.
Old 06-08-2019, 10:10 AM   #8

I’ve only weighed my trailers to get a good baseline weight, otherwise it’s hookup and go. My trailer is loaded basically the same for most trips and I don’t agonize over it.
Dustyhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 10:28 AM   #9

I've never seen but one semi-truck on a CAT scale, either.

It clearly happens.....when I'm not seeing it.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 11:07 AM   #10

i've seen both rv's and trucks. but they aren't on the scale very long. those scales are basically roll on, push the button, wait for the response, and roll off. then you park and go inside to pay, get the ticket, etc. so you are only on the scale for a minute or two.

i weigh at least once each season as we are basically packed the same every trip.
Old 06-08-2019, 12:29 PM   #11

We weighed ours for the very first time this trip. Fully loaded with full gas, water, propane and all gear and we are just under both axles and gvwr. Whew!
LandKKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 01:16 PM   #12

I weighed once 4 yrs ago on a friends farm scale . for livestock trailers , I also have a TW scale . never a need to re weigh as nothing much changes . carrying the same stuff i did the first time out or less since i've gotten rid of things that after the first yr were not used . Some my get peace of mind by weighing every yr or every outing but i find it needless unless you do major changes in cargo
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 01:25 PM   #13

Have only gone to a scale 4 or 5 times. Never saw another RV, just lots of semi drivers giving us "the look". Thing is, a very very small percentage of RV owners read RV forums and I think that's about the only way to know it's a good idea to scale your setup.

One time I was at a scale for a couple of hours going through a setup & tweaking of our Reese dual cam WDH. I did not impress DW or the truckers.

I occasionally see an RV at a hwy scale, but not very often. You've gotta know that many RVs could be over their GVWR and overloading suspension and tires (possibly leading to a blowout). Should you ever have an issue with a frame on a FW or TT, it'd sure help to have a scale ticket(s) to duke it out with Lippert.

Haven't been to a scale for a few years now, and it's probably time to do it again. Last weighing showed we were close to the TT GVWR and RVs have a way of gaining weight as they age (like people).
Old 06-08-2019, 01:28 PM   #14
Old Engineer

Weighed at CAT Scale when new, full fuel, fluids, propane, no water, gray, or black, with driver.

All items put on board RV are accurately weighed and put in a spreadsheet that allows them to be included in the total or excluded with a check mark.
Includes dog, cat, passengers, food items, etc.

After loading, returned to CAT scale to check and was within 5 pounds of spreadsheet value.

Towed vehicle and tow bar is included in a separate page in order to track overall vehicle weights and cargo.

FleckDreher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 02:02 PM   #15

This spring, we stopped at a truck stop to grab some lunch. I noticed that they had a CAT Scale and decided to weigh our new rig. I prepaid while I was inside, then we sat in the truck to eat our lunch. There was a semi truck already on the scale. Another RV got in line behind it to get weighed, but the semi never moved. After waiting a good while, the RV backed up and left. Shortly after that, the trucker strolled out of the building with a bag of lunch and drove off the scale! I pulled on after he left and weighed with no problem. Was not impressed with this "professional" trucker, and mentioned it to the cashier when I went in to get my weight ticket.
Old 06-08-2019, 06:06 PM   #16

I have only done a CAT Scale twice in 3 years. It's about 30 miles away, off the beaten path, so never busy. There are a couple closer, but they are in VERY busy truck stops. As long as my axle weights and total weight are well under specs, I'm not too concerned.

'17 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 TRD Sport
'17 Salem Cruise Lite 232RBXL
'08 Kawasaki Vulcan Classic 1500
Mickey the Rescue Project Schnauzer
Days Camped: 2017-39, 2018-61, 2019-64
bedubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 07:52 PM   #17
jkoenig24

Many big RV rallies offer a Smart Weigh service at a modest cost. Smart Weigh weighs EACH WHEEL POSITION separately, something difficult or impossible to do at a Cat Scale. Unless you make MAJOR changes to your rig, it's a ONE TIME expense. After your rig is Smart Weighed, a trained technician will go over the data with you so you'll be able to determine the PROPER tire inflation for the load you're carrying (and you'll get a printout of the results). You'll also know if you should reposition any substantial weigh in your rig. Walter Cannon at RVSEF has been weighing RVs for well over a decade. His figures show that OVER 60% of RVs are overweight in at least one parameter (and, he says many vehicles are overweight on ALL parameters). JUST DO IT!
jkoenig24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 08:09 PM   #18
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkoenig24 View Post
His figures show that OVER 60% of RVs are overweight in at least one parameter (and, he says many vehicles are overweight on ALL parameters)!
I totally believe this.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 08:40 PM   #19

Don't have to go in to pay for CAT scales anymore. App lets you weigh and go.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 10:18 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkoenig24 View Post
Walter Cannon at RVSEF has been weighing RVs for well over a decade. His figures show that OVER 60% of RVs are overweight in at least one parameter (and, he says many vehicles are overweight on ALL parameters).
Interesting statistics!

On ST tires, when forum folks have a blowout, many are quick to blame the country of origin and substandard quality. ST tires shouldn't be overloaded, driven above their speed rating and/or be under-inflated. I would be willing to bet big money that the major reason a blowout happens is due to one or all of these factors. Thing is, it's impossible to know the exact history on someone's tires and how they were treated.

Another factor on ST tires is having an adequate reserve load capacity which should be at least 10-15%. When we ordered the optional LRD Marathons on our TT, we ended up with about 30% reserve capacity. We're early into our 6th season on the Chinese Marathons without issues and are about to replace them with a set of Endurance tires. If we stay with the same width 225 size, we'll have LRE tires and even more reserve load capacity (if inflated above 65 psi).

Tags
cat, scales