Old 08-05-2013, 12:12 PM   #1
Fulltime family RVer

Sabre 36QBOK weighed again

Just because I enjoy the process, we stopped and got weighed. This is likely to be as close to as heavy as we'll run. I didn't have a full tank of fuel, unfortunately. I would guess we were down by 1/3 of a tank (so, maybe 80-90 pounds less than if I were full (figuring about 11.5 gallons and 7.5 pounds per gallon).

We were leaving our house for 2 weeks of camping and 1 week at a beach house and then a weekend of camping before heading home. We also had my mother-in-law riding with us.

The truck bed was as full as I could get it:
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-605003847.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	36961

The first weighing (truck and camper):

Name:	image-988449855.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	43.3 KB
ID:	36962

The second weighing (truck only):

Name:	image-716802497.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	42.8 KB
ID:	36963

Playing with the numbers, I get:
Loaded truck weight: 5300 + 6660 + 85 = 12,045
Pin weight: (5300 + 6660) - 9420 = 2,540
Camper weight: 2,540 + 12,280 = 14,820
Pin %: 2,540 / 14,820 = 17%

Truck's GVWR is 12,300. The camper has two 7k axles and tires to carry up to 13,680 on them (at maximum inflation).

The camper itself had freshly full propane, my usual amount of freshwater on board (1/3-1/2 of a tank), a full water heater and the plethora that I typically carry (2 cases of bottled water and 7.5 gallons in jugs). We also carried our few soda-pops but no beer (though, I typically carry 1-2 six packs at most). We did do grocery shopping before the trip and had a full inside fridge. Wife had more clothes than usual and otherwise, everyone else had what is normal for them.

(Edited to tweak formatting and spaces.)

Old 08-05-2013, 10:07 PM   #2

You call that truck bed full?????? You could still squeeze a bunch in there like bicycles, a grill, more chairs, generator, etc.......

In all reality though, thanks for the info. One of these days I will weigh mine (but I am not that worried about it for now with my TV) . Found out there is a scale about 5 min from my house that I completely forgot about and last weekend learned that one of the dads of the girls softball team that I coached works for CAT scales (we camped right next to them on our last trip).

QCCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 06:39 AM   #3
Fulltime family RVer

Ha! Ok, full for me- it was pretty well level all around with stuff.

To be honest, I was a little surprised that the truck when hitched up was where it was. I really expected to be posting "Overloaded 3500 DRW" and then having to eat crow.

It's been fun. I still stink at parking in the big truck lots- I like to believe that I provide a few minutes of entertainment for the truckers (and fortunately, I wasn't in the way of anyone as I took 3 tries to hit my spot).
Old 08-06-2013, 01:00 PM   #4

I don't know about you but I felt like a little kid pushing the button. The cat scale I went to had a button I could barely reach. Not sure if they are all like that. I am sure the truckers had fun with that. (Didn't have to back in anywhere, my wife wouldn't let me park anywhere near the professional drivers)
Old 08-06-2013, 01:09 PM   #5
Fulltime family RVer

I stand on the running boards of my truck and can reach pretty easily. Standing on the ground is a trick, though! I've heard people either take a stick to poke the button with or to go inside first and get the telephone number for the weigh master and just call from their cell.

I'm pretty sure a majority of my life is to be an example and make people laugh. I just don't usually intend either to happen!
Old 08-06-2013, 01:12 PM   #6

"I'm pretty sure a majority of my life is to be an example and make people laugh. I just don't usually intend either to happen! "

As long as they are laugging with us!

I have no running boards so that was not an option. I felt like a little kid talking to the ice cream truck driver.
Old 08-06-2013, 01:18 PM   #7
Fulltime family RVer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanddc View Post
I have no running boards so that was not an option. I felt like a little kid talking to the ice cream truck driver.
LOL, yeah- back in April, I was trying to split my camper axle weights across scales, so I was pulled quite a bit forward and couldn't use my running boards. I had to stand on my tippy toes!
Old 08-06-2013, 01:47 PM   #8

I can't believe you push it so close Doug! You cant be feeling well or something right?! I've never heard of you getting that close to your limits! I would be slightly concerned if you had a Ford, but since you have to Ram 3500 DRW you're golden pal!

Glad everything worked out though! Seeing that "worst case" you wont overload anything...

Also, I am sure you don't feel it but if you ever felt like the trailer was sort of sloshing at stops the 1/2 tank of fresh water could be the cause of it. I tend to be a bit anal with that and either run the fresh full or empty... which is kind of dumb because I will run with gray or black 1/2 to the a dump station, assuming it's not too far away... I don't always like to use the ones at the parks... too much waiting... Just a thought...

Love the truck though, Would love to see more pics of it if you would be willing to show it off more!

TV- 2015 Ram 2500 CCLB 6.7 Cummins 3.42 gears
Camper - 2015 Saber 322BHTS
avolnek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 01:55 PM   #9
Fulltime family RVer

Hey now- I have no problem using something right up to the published specs and like to believe I haven't said otherwise in a long, long time. It would have been interesting if I had exceeded the specs and what song is have been singing... Getting my wife to pack less is like asking me to leave my left arm behind.
Old 08-06-2013, 02:04 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Hey now- I have no problem using something right up to the published specs and like to believe I haven't said otherwise in a long, long time. It would have been interesting if I had exceeded the specs and what song is have been singing... Getting my wife to pack less is like asking me to leave my left arm behind.

X2 on that!

I don't know how many times I've asked "do you really need this?" and her answer is almost always "Well I don't know, but what if we do?" and my least favorite is when she sees an opening in a drawer or a storage area and instantly has something already in mind for that space! whether it is needed or not... I really don't think she would care if the camper or truck was overloaded anyways...

TV- 2015 Ram 2500 CCLB 6.7 Cummins 3.42 gears
Camper - 2015 Saber 322BHTS
avolnek is offline   Reply With Quote