Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-08-2018, 04:23 PM   #1

Sad Weight News

Well, I've been afraid of this..........and I'm an idiot for not weighing everything till now. But it is......what it is.

Truck and trailer, decked out as we travel........27, 340.
Truck weight with trailer attached......13,940.
Truck weight without trailer attached....9,600.

First problem.....that's 4,340 pin weight. I knew it was excessive. But wow.

Second problem.......truck payload is 4,387. So I need to get invisible, and not carry any fuel or stuff.

Third problem........trailer apparently weighs 17,740 and that's about 1,000 over max specs.

Fourth problem.........I can't change anything. Upside down in both truck and trailer. And I love the trailer. And I've been 40,000 miles in this setup in 2 years. Beats me to death.......but I get there. Trailer does fine...Has MorRyde I.S., Disk brakes....truck has remote controlled Firestone air bags. Tires on truck and trailer are doing great...

I know......lots of folks are overweight and don't care. But I care, and didn't know it was this bad.

Guess I live with it.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 04:32 PM   #2
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

I'll bet if you r e a l l y go through your stuff with this in mind you'll find a bunch of things you don't really need in there.

JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 04:42 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnD10 View Post
I'll bet if you r e a l l y go through your stuff with this in mind you'll find a bunch of things you don't really need in there.

X2. Travel with almost no water in the tank. Will save over 500 pounds.

BuzzWolfAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 04:50 PM   #4

From my calculations, you have over 4,800 pounds over the advertised trailer dry weight. Curious what you have in your trailer.

My trailer is a lot smaller than yours but I carefully think about the weight of every item that goes in there. If it's something I would rarely if ever need, it doesn't get brought with us.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 04:52 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzWolfAR View Post
X2. Travel with almost no water in the tank. Will save over 500 pounds.
X3....if you have 40,000 miles as is, what's the problem ? You should be able to go thru and remove some of the things you may not have touched in those 40,000 miles. When we got our new trailer last year, we found stuff in the old one that we hadn't touched in the ten years we owned it and didn't even realize it was in there.
You'll make it work to your satisfaction...trust yourself.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 05:02 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandJCarm View Post
Well, I've been afraid of this..........and I'm an idiot for not weighing everything till now. But it is......what it is.

Second problem.......truck payload is 4,387. So I need to get invisible, and not carry any fuel or stuff.

Third problem........trailer apparently weighs 17,740 and that's about 1,000 over max specs.

Fourth problem.........I can't change anything. Upside down in both truck and trailer. And I love the trailer. And I've been 40,000 miles in this setup in 2 years. Beats me to death.......but I get there. Trailer does fine...Has MorRyde I.S., Disk brakes....truck has remote controlled Firestone air bags. Tires on truck and trailer are doing great...

I know......lots of folks are overweight and don't care. But I care, and didn't know it was this bad.

Guess I live with it.
B, what is your GCVWR? Is it safe to assume 27,340# is over that?

What in your trailer can come out or be reduced? What things of what's left in it can be relocated from front to behind the axles?

Of more concern if it was me, would be axle weights and individual wheel weights - left and right. You can't change weight ratings or capacities, but you can increase axle capacity and tire / wheel capacity if you need to if one of those is a weak link.

Springs can be replaced and upgraded. I don't know if it makes sense, but to me Stable Loads (Torklift) can be added to top and bottom overload / spring packs. Quick of of everyone's brain is "air springs", but for carrying serious weight, Stable Loads could be better and certainly those pieces will weight slightly less than air springs and compressor. More expensive is a good spring provider to build a custom set of rear springs. Best wishes. I just hope the weight police doesn't get wind of this.

BTW, you TWR is massive at over 24%
ww

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
I can't fix everything, but I can make it so nobody else can
WolfWhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 05:55 PM   #7

i don't know the specifics of your stock weight ratings. but i'm guessing that the trailer came with standard 7,000 axles. you say you have upgraded to morryde IS suspension. when i contacted morrryde they told be the IS suspension is rated at 8,000 lbs. i asked if they could recertify the weight ratings on the trailer due to the increased axle capabilites and they said the axle ratings could be increased (7K to 8K) but they were not able to increase the gvwr of the trailer itself. they said there are places (i don't know where) that can recertify a trailer after an upgrade. but i don't know how it is done of what the variables are.
Old 07-08-2018, 06:37 PM   #8

Chickdoe, you bring up a point that is bothering me. DW reminded me of something related to this, and I've been thinking for the past hour.

MorRyde weighed my trailer AXLES before putting in the I.S. Not the whole trailer, but the individual axles. I had forgotten these numbers but now that I see this weight, and DW's memory, it comes back to me. And something is not adding up!

MorRyde weighed the back axle at 6,000 lbs and the front axle at 5,400 lbs. That's 11,400. So, they recommended against 8K axles because it would make the ride too stiff. Made sense. So, I went with 7K axles. However, they used 8K components everywhere else, bushings, etc. Wife reminded me of those numbers.

So now I'm as confused as a run over dog!

I guarantee you that a LOT of stuff that used to be in this trailer are now gone. The only addition, and yes it's considerable, is a washer and dryer. Meaning, the trailer had way more stuff in it when MorRyde weighed it than it does now (except for the w/d). And that makes NO SENSE! Because that would mean that if the trailer weighed 17,400 at that time (as it does now), and if the axles weighed 11,400, then the kingpin weight would have been (OR IS!!!) 6,000 lbs!! Now I know I have issues, but the dang pin weight is not 6,000 lbs!!!

There's nothing else coming out. I appreciate all the comments on that regard, honest. I get it. But it's as bare as I'm willing to live with. In fact, probably going to get a Travl'r dish and maybe a built in custom cabinet in lieu of the dining table.

So right now I'm pretty confused. Course, I head to the shop tomorrow to get the major slide issues fixed......and that's primary on my mind right now. But this weight thing is about to get to me.

I'm thinking to find a CAT scale and go reweigh it. Something just doesn't add up in the numbers I'm looking at.

I do appreciate the help, guys!!!

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 07:14 PM   #9

so does morrdye offer the IS suspension in both 7K and 8K? i called them and asked what they were rated at as i could not find any info about the axle weight rating of the IS suspension on their website. they told me they were rated at 8K.

another weighing wouldn't hurt. take this one real slow to make sure you know exactly what is being weighed.

we are close to our weight limits but still under.
our last weighing was:
trailer = 15,740
truck = 8,800
pin = 3,680

trailer gvwr 16,480

we have a travell'r antenna (50 lbs) and an onan 5000 generator (300 lbs) installed. we did remove the dining room table and chairs (who can fit in them anyway)? no washer / dryer. this weighing had the 12 gal water heater full. i sometimes drain the water from it before travelling as that is 100 lbs of water i don't have to carry. other thing i watch is tire inflation (goodyear G614). i run them at 110 psi.

i would expect the installation of the morryde IS suspension would save some weight as you ditch the axles. don't know about the disk brakes.
Old 07-08-2018, 07:50 PM   #10

Payload is calculated with driver and a full tank of fuel.
6 years weekend camping Class C
2017 camping 20 days and counting
Brand2328 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 07:55 PM   #11

If you ever have a blowout and hurt someone be ready for the opposing attorney. Not saying it will ever happen, but if it did, you’re screwed.
Rdeejr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 07:56 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brand2328 View Post
Are you sure on that?
ronheater70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 07:57 PM   #13

Sad Weight News

According to Ford Motor Company. That is what they told me and it is in the manual.
6 years weekend camping Class C
2017 camping 20 days and counting
Brand2328 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 08:06 PM   #14
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brand2328 View Post
Actually, that is true for TOWING capacity.
PAYLOAD capacity is just the fuel. The driver is considered an occupant, along with passengers and cargo.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 08:12 PM   #15

I agree I would go reweigh before I got too upset. If you did not use a cat scale do it this time. Also maybe you got the wrong weight ticket somehow.???

A second opinion here would be advised.

Let us know what you find. Good Luck !!!!!

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 08:22 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandJCarm View Post

Guess I live with it.
I just took a quick glance at FR's website and looked at all the CCs I could find. I didn't see your model but one that sounded close by name. But I don't think a single Cedar Creek had a listed pin weight over 3000 lbs.

As Oaklevel said, go reweigh. Something does not sound quite right here.
KFX450RXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 08:35 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by KFX450RXC View Post
I just took a quick glance at FR's website and looked at all the CCs I could find. I didn't see your model but one that sounded close by name. But I don't think a single Cedar Creek had a listed pin weight over 3000 lbs.

As Oaklevel said, go reweigh. Something does not sound quite right here.
The listed GVWR is 16,407 so at 20% pin weight he is looking at around 3281 and at 25% it's 4101.

Dry pin weight is listed at 2500 and max cargo weight is listed at 3737 so he is over there!!
koller1509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 08:37 PM   #18

Send a message via AIM to B and B
The Washer and Dryer made your pin weight high for sure. You have a DRW and only 4800 lbs CCC, that to me doesn't make sense. I have 3700 lbs on my SRW Ford.

As far as the site specs for CC the Pin Weight is empty weight. Same with my Bighorn, I have just shy of 3,000 lbs loaded for travel.

Also the air bags may have been hiding the issue.

I would empty the trailer and reweigh. They weigh everything your add. I did that with the new Bighorn and it is quite enlightening what you have. If I run into issues my cast iron cookware goes, that 100 lbs right there.

To add, this doesn't count against the trailer specs per say your MoreRyde system weight more, that might be part of your issue.
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 08:53 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaklevel View Post
I agree I would go reweigh before I got too upset. If you did not use a cat scale do it this time. Also maybe you got the wrong weight ticket somehow.???

A second opinion here would be advised.

Let us know what you find. Good Luck !!!!!

x2. Go reweigh at a certified cat scale. Make sure your truck is front axle on scale pad 1, rear axle on scale pad 2 and trailer axles on scale pad 3. Then drop the trailer in a spot for a few minutes and go weigh just the truck. Again front axle on scale pad 1 and rear axle on scale pad 2. Bring back all those numbers to look at. You can figure out exactly what available payload you have available by taking the truck gvwr and subtracting the truck scaled weight. You can figure out exactly what your adjusted towing capacity is by taking the truck gcwr and subtracting the truck scaled weight. Now take the truck rear gawr and subtract the truck rear axle weight to see how much room you have available for the pin on your rear axle.

To figure out trailer pin weight take the total weight from scale pad 1 and 2 with the fiver attached and subtract the truck weights without the trailer.To figure out trailer total weight take the total ticket weight of both truck and trailer and subtract the total ticket weight of just the truck. The trailer axle weights can be figured out by doing a pass with the whole truck on scale pad 1, trailer front axle on scale pad 2 and trailer rear axle on scale pad 3.

As for the numbers at moryde it sounds like they measured axles only. Your pin weight was not included in that number. But I do honestly believe your most recent weight sounds off on the high end. I highly doubt you have added that much weight to your trailer. Average is around 1500-2000 lbs of stuff added to a trailer. What is your scaled curb weight on that trailer (look at the tire loading sticker).
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 09:02 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdeejr View Post
If you ever have a blowout and hurt someone be ready for the opposing attorney. Not saying it will ever happen, but if it did, you’re screwed.
BS
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
weight