Old 02-24-2010, 01:01 PM   #11

Hey guys,

I may have found the solution to my problem--the Forest River R-Pod. Are you familiar with them? The dry weight is 2300 pounds. It even has a slide. Plus, this trailer is just for me and my dog--mostly. Below is a link to the r-pod I found. I'll take a look at it at the dealer this weekend. Might be perfect for my needs. Let me know what you think.

http://www.generalrv.com/inventory/7...od-RP_175.aspx

Old 02-24-2010, 01:17 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

The R-pods are sweet little trailers. I got to see 1 at the Dulles RV show last month. I sometimes regret not getting something like that.....especially when I am trying to fit my 29 footer into a tight spot. I met a couple in Va. Beach last summer that had pulled 1 from Quebec with a small/midsized truck ( I did not recognize the model), with no problems. The rounded front and 6.5 foot width should be great on gas mileage, also.

Check out the stats at: http://www.forestriverinc.com/nd/def...hoice=brochure

I especially like the 1s with a permanent bed.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 01:21 PM   #13

The R-Pod is a unique little unit - it should fit your needs.
Old 02-24-2010, 01:43 PM   #14
Now a "Top Member"

What a cool little trailer! It would be hard to argue with that one. Even with the GVWR it looks like you would be okay. And as Chap said, with that rounded front end, that will take away a lot of the wind drag. Nice find!
Ride-Rite Airbags and Airlift wireless remote compressor...nice!

I thought I was wrong once, but I was wrong!
EdJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 02:08 PM   #15

GO 4 IT..... You have our blessing.
Old 02-24-2010, 05:51 PM   #16

a different brand??

If you are looking for a lightweight trailer there is a new one on the market. It is called the "visa" by gulfstream. Check it out, it has torsion suspension, a aerodynamic shape and weighs about 2800lbs. with a couple different floor layouts available. It is also composite so there is nothing to rot - ever.

There are some travel trailer stores that let you test tow BEFORE you buy. You can form your own opinion from your experiences.

happy trailer hunting... Do lots of research,
Old 02-24-2010, 06:30 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by shineysideup View Post
If you are looking for a lightweight trailer there is a new one on the market. It is called the "visa" by gulfstream. Check it out, it has torsion suspension, a aerodynamic shape and weighs about 2800lbs. with a couple different floor layouts available. It is also composite so there is nothing to rot - ever.

There are some travel trailer stores that let you test tow BEFORE you buy. You can form your own opinion from your experiences.

happy trailer hunting... Do lots of research,
Nice trailers, but they are longer than the Rockwood 1809S that Lake627 was thinking about.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 07:11 PM   #18

The Rockwood 1809s and the Viking Apex both have double axles, which puts them in a higher GVWR because they can handle it, the R-pod in question has only one axle, which puts it in a lighter class, similar to the pop-ups.

You stated you want to venture away from the pop-ups, I think the single axle trailers are more matched for your GMC Canyon, even though the double axles offer some intrensic safety and handling features, I think you will be ultimately more satisfied towing the R-Pod, and I agree with those above who have said to stay away from the larger trailers.

If you currently are satisfied with towing/handling the pop-up with your GMC, then you will be more happy with the R-Pod because you know the truck can handle it, and you no longer have to crank up the pop-up before, during, and after your trip.

BTW, I think your traveling dog will be happy either way.
Old 02-24-2010, 07:35 PM   #19

A rule of thumb many (including me)follow is to keep at least 10 - 15% below your tow vehicle's capacity when shopping for a trailer. That currently limits us in what we can get because our Suburban is rated at 7300 lbs and I only will go to around 6500 - 6600 gross weight on any trailer I get now. We still look, but realize anything larger than that and we will need to get a new tow vehicle, which is not in the budget at this time.

I think you should go with the R-Pod and then tell us all how you like it. Or don't like it. Otherwise, you probably need to buy a larger tow vehicle. I am near my comfortable limit with my 26RKS Flagstaff and 1500 Suburban.

Hokiehall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 09:14 AM   #20

Lake627

Just my biased opinion but take a look at the Honda Ridgeline. I dont know the dimensions but I think it is a slightly bigger vehicle than the Colorado & has a 5k towing capacity. It does very well with my Surveyor. I looked at Colorado when I was truck shopping, along with the Tacoma. Ridgeline won hands down. The engine is smoother, ride is better, independent rear suspension, in-bed trunk, more room - I could go on all day about it.

It comes with transmssion cooler, etc. Just bolt bolt on the reciever hitch and plug n the wiring harness if it doesn't have that already. It even has a port under the dash ready for your brake controller.

The Ridgeline is widely ignored as a TV, I did not buy it with the plan of pulling a TT, but it turned out to be a great choice. It is by far the best vehicle in snow I have ever had, get around 20 MPG not towing (my record is 23mpg) and is just the right size.

1 wife, 1 son, & 1 cat
Volunteer Firefighter/EMT
Asst. Scoutmaster (BSA)
archham is offline   Reply With Quote