Old 02-25-2010, 08:55 AM   #21
Moderator Emeritus
Am I wrong? I thought this thread was about what trailer could be pulled by the vehicle the owner had. How did it turn in to a Honda commercial?

2012 Ford F250 ext. Cab 4x4
2002 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 10:58 AM   #22
Originally Posted by windrider View Post
Am I wrong? I thought this thread was about what trailer could be pulled by the vehicle the owner had. How did it turn in to a Honda commercial?
lol, thats awesome. Yeah, I would'nt have thought of a Honda for towing much but that is high praise!

That pod camper looks great though, once I get all my kids grown, I going with "The pod"

2000 Wildwood 30BHSS
2001 Suburban 2500
bikeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 11:04 AM   #23
Moderators' Assistant
Lake267, your main problem is that you're looking at the fictional "dry" weights.
stop using those numbers to figure what you can tow.
no trailer on a lot weighs its "dry" weight.
our trailer's factory weight was approx. 400lbs. more than the dry weight because manufacturers don't include normal options, like a/c, stove, spare tire, awning and so on, in the dry weight numbers.

you should almost always have a tow vehicle capable of towing the trailer's GVWR. that's the max that trailer can weigh and your TV should be able to tow that number within its capacity.
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 08:23 PM   #24
Please excuse the Honda commercial.

Several other posts had mentioned a different TV, including Hokiehall, was just following up on that.
2012 Puma 30FQSS
2005 Ford F-250 Super Crew 6.0 PSD
2003 Honda Odyssey
1 wife, 1 son, & 1 cat
Volunteer Firefighter/EMT
Asst. Scoutmaster (BSA)
archham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 10:36 PM   #25
As a Colorado/Canyon owner ( I am on my third one for various reasons) I have towed 3 ATV's on a 14" flat bed and gear for a week 3800 lbs. I have towed a Coleman Mesa (12 foot) and all the gear for a week 3800 lbs. I have towed a Jayco 26 foot LTZ 4702 lbs dry and I guessed it was somewhere around 5200-5500 lbs. I have run many miles down the road and the only thing that slows me down is my wallet! There is absolutely no reason at all for the use of a full size TV for these light weight trailers. I realize that it maybe nicer to tow with one but it is not necessary. My parents Suburban and 30 footer tows really nice and from what I read and see the recommendation would be a one ton TV!

You need to look in your owners manual for your specific truck. My 08 Colorado is rated at 5500 lbs trailer weight and 9800 lbs GCWR.

Legal limit where I live is 80 km/h and I normally drive 90 km/h. I have seen some "midsize" trucks towing trailers that we have commented on. Drive sensibly and properly equip your TV and you should be fine.

I am installing the Roadmaster Active Suspension to help. Don't require it but it helps. I have seen the benefit on another truck that I have driven and towed with.

As for the Honda commercial. I would have a Ridgeline if I could afford one. One of the best trucks on the market and I have no complaints about my truck.

Remember that torque gets you going and horsepower keeps you moving. There is a thing called horsepower to weight ratio. A 6000 lb truck is 20:1 and a 4000 lb truck is 16:1. Hmmm. All the posts that I have read that are similar never seem to mention that. So if I max mine out it is 40:1. Still less than those big rigs going down the road.
The Baker's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 10:59 PM   #26
Go for it, to each his own...
flyrotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 04:22 PM   #27
The specs that the OP gives will put him close to his max after he loads up his tv & tt. Whenever you do that you are driving on the edge. Can he tow either of these tt's? Yes he can. Can he do it safely, as he asked? That's a different story. To do anything safely you need a margin of error. One poster on this thread said he likes his loaded tt to weigh 10-15% under his max tow rating. I have read 20% and I try to go with that.

I understand how some feel that if the tv is rated to pull 8K then they should be able to pull 8K. We all want as big and as nice of a tt that our tv can handle. But like I said , your driving on the edge if you are at or close to your tow ratings no matter what tv or tt your using. You can do it and on a nice, sunny, calm day the only problems you might have are when semi's pass you. But get into climbing mountains, high winds or rain and you won't be enjoying your trip very much. I know, been there, done that.

So when someone asks if they can tow a tt safely when it will put them at their max towing capacity, most will answer probably not.

The bottom line is that most people on here have a common goal. Get to the campground safely, enjoy time with family and friends, then get back home safely. So when asked, they're going to give their honest opinion and it may not be exactly what you are wanting to hear.

Gary & Trish
"PT Crew Member Since 11/2010"
2017 Prime Time Crusader 315RST TE 6.0 : 2007 Flagstaff 206ST MAC Series
2012 F-250 Lariat : FX4 : CC : SB : 6.7L Diesel : 3/55 Gears

2016 Nights Camped - 9
grhodes50 is offline   Reply With Quote