Old 05-31-2013, 01:46 PM   #21

Im storing it up north for saving gas in the summer but were going to be the campers on the move so we can use it on the weekends. Your right I hate to say it but to big. We will weigh it.

Old 05-31-2013, 03:35 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kcompt01 View Post
I need some help here we have a Toyota Tacoma 2008 v6 double cab short bed with a factory towing package that can tow 6500 total with a gross 11,100. Looking to buy the Rockwood mini light 2504 which weighs 4124 dry weight + options. We are concerned about the length and weight of the trailer is it safe? My husband is really concerned about sway. We will be taking it through grades up to 6% at times. Should we get something else smaller? Thanks for the help.
Sounds like us at the beginning of this year. I thought we would be fine with the trailer we bought. A Rockwood Windjammer 3008W, dry weight of 6,990#'s and the Titan capable of pulling 9,200#'s. But you start calculating trailer weights loaded and tongue weights and you can quickly have too much on the back of your truck.

Looking back, I wish we would have had more discussion with the dealer about the hitch options because we didn't have one to pull the trailer. Thinking they all are about the same, the dealer put on an EAZ Lift elite hitch rated 10,000# w/ 1,000# WD bars, no sway control and it was NOT a fun experience home. So with lots of investigation into other hitch options, and there are a lot out there. We decided to go with the ProPride 3P hitch which made our maiden voyage from Colorado Springs to Moab, UT and back very pleasant. Trailer was very well behaved in high winds and when semi's would pass us. The ProPride doesn't come cheap. If money is of concern, I've heard a lot of people using the Equil-i-zer 4-pt hitch with good results.

cobiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 03:42 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobiker View Post
Sounds like us at the beginning of this year. I thought we would be fine with the trailer we bought. A Rockwood Windjammer 3008W, dry weight of 6,990#'s and the Titan capable of pulling 9,200#'s. But you start calculating trailer weights loaded and tongue weights and you can quickly have too much on the back of your truck.

Looking back, I wish we would have had more discussion with the dealer about the hitch options because we didn't have one to pull the trailer. Thinking they all are about the same, the dealer put on an EAZ Lift elite hitch rated 10,000# w/ 1,000# WD bars, no sway control and it was NOT a fun experience home. So with lots of investigation into other hitch options, and there are a lot out there. We decided to go with the ProPride 3P hitch which made our maiden voyage from Colorado Springs to Moab, UT and back very pleasant. Trailer was very well behaved in high winds and when semi's would pass us. The ProPride doesn't come cheap. If money is of concern, I've heard a lot of people using the Equil-i-zer 4-pt hitch with good results.

Did you keep it? if yes were you happy with the decision?
Old 05-31-2013, 08:16 PM   #24
Site Team

as many ave said don't believe a word the dealership says. I ave ad many a dealership try to sell e a trailer who's dry weight was at the top of my vehicles stated towing capacity. I've also had dealerships tell me my F250 can tow anything on their lot...I have a 1500 lb payload and about 2600 lbs available on my rawr. They have tried to talk me into trailers with pin weights over 3000 lbs. You need to be educated in your own setup and what the ratings mean. do not believe the dealers.

Also as others ave said, I don't think you will be happier smaller. You might be happier trading the TV for a used larger TV. when doing this remember your first trailer is rarely your last trailer and most people go bigger each time so if you trade the TV, trade it for something capable of towing what you would buy 1-2 trailers from now.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 08:27 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kcompt01 View Post
Did you keep it? if yes were you happy with the decision?
We will keep the Windjammer for the summer for sure because we have many more trips planned and it has all the comforts of home.

Windjammer Travel Trailer by Forest River
cobiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 03:26 AM   #26

Unhappy

Ok the conclusion is my husband called the dealer today and told him about his concerns from the forum and the tow book. He said there is nothing to worry about it will be fine. My husband asked the dealer to call him back with the weight of the TT so we know exactly what we are working with. I know there are a lot of mixed reviews on here and we will ask to be weighed when we are all together. This kind of frustrating because you want to trust the dealer. I did tones of research and got a great deal but I don't know what Im getting my self into because Im missed this. It has deceased the excitement of the purchase.
It looks like the Max trailer rate is 8 pounds under our towing capacity. I bet that is why the dealer says its ok.

Her its a link to the trailer.

Mini Lite Travel Trailer by Forest River
Old 06-01-2013, 04:52 PM   #27
Explorer

Might help

I believe you can tow a lot with a little but how much, how far and how comfortably/safely well that’s the question. Don’t forget about the rest of us driving next to you. I have no professional training just 30yrs of doing it uncomfortably and comfortably.
This was not your question but I thought it could help; it would be my next thoughts/questions.
My personal tow tips:
Experience is key, so get out there and use it. Go slowly at first and then slow for then on after. Do some local trips first.
Set your rig up appropriately with WD and then have it weighed to be sure its right. Measuring height changes is good but doing it by weight changes is best.
Tires are important, good tires at the correct pressure can make a difference
Set/adjust the brake controller correctly. To high and trailer brakes can lock-up tires and/or get a jerking action. To low and it won’t help with stopping.
Keep the break controller in a very usable location, adjusting brakes as the conditions change is good, being able to use the manual lever is a must (for me)
Load your trailer appropriately; not over weighted in back, nothing worse than a lite tongue. Loading over or near axles is best.
If I ever do start to sway: steer straight and use the manual lever on the brake controller. By braking the trailer and letting weight of the truck pull (straight) it should/will stop the sway. I do not try to over correct the sway action, it can amplify the sway. A trailer should never sway if everything is set up correctly and not going to fast.
I might drive fast uphill but I always go slooooow down.
For up hill: find your power-band for your truck, every vehicle has an RPM range that it likes to power in. If you slip below this range, on a grade, it can be hard to get back up to speed and hard on the truck. Use tachometer and gearing to keep truck in power band.
I use my trans to keep me steady-slow on the down hills, I have even been in first gear on several hills. If the hill is small I use the trailer brakes by themselves just because I like to save the trucks brakes.
Drive three to five cars ahead, if I can see a mile ahead I am looking/glancing at what’s coming up. And keep some distance between you and the vehicle in front of you. If a hill is coming up I start powering up early.
Pull over to let faster vehicles pass, SAFELY. On a two lane road it is the right thing to do but only do it when YOU feel safe. Be very careful of those short dirt turnouts ABS brakes don’t like them.
In the hills I drive glancing at the GPS, it tells me how sharp the next turn is and how far away.
Glance and your gauges; glance often at first, just to get to know them, and then frequently as you get more comfortable that everything is good.(yes, I know “often” and “frequently” are the same just use them)
Have good side mirrors
Change fluids: oil, trans fluid, dif oil, and keep that radiator clean. The maintenance schedule the manufacture gives you is for a slightly used vehicle. When you really start using/towing with it you need to do some extra TLC. I figure I spend about $250 more than I need too but I love my truck.
I hate to say it but my biggest tip: have more truck than you need. A vacation should start when I get into my truck and start pulling down the road.
Well that’s all the tips I can think about.
Have fun and enjoy, if your not stop and adjust
John

43yrs of camping; one lucky guy
YoungKopernik is offline   Reply With Quote