Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-30-2013, 11:33 PM   #1

Safety and Sway first timers (help needed)

I need some help here we have a Toyota Tacoma 2008 v6 double cab short bed with a factory towing package that can tow 6500 total with a gross 11,100. Looking to buy the Rockwood mini light 2504 which weighs 4124 dry weight + options. We are concerned about the length and weight of the trailer is it safe? My husband is really concerned about sway. We will be taking it through grades up to 6% at times. Should we get something else smaller? Thanks for the help.
Kcompt01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 11:41 PM   #2

We need more info. It is a bunkhouse.
How many and what size/ages of kids do you have?
Any pets, boats, canoes, kayaks, bikes, etc.?
Twisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 12:03 AM   #3

Sway and safety

Its a travel trailer 25 feet 8 inches long. kid, 1 small dog, 2 adults. We are putting at most a 2 bikes in it and camping supplies. No toys. I know its probably going to be still under weight but are we playing with fire if we get close to the weight limit of the tow? Is the length going to be an issue? The manufacture only has weight limits from what we see. I hope I answered all of the questions?
Old 05-31-2013, 12:11 AM   #4

I don’t know what a bunk house is but we have two bunk beds a "U" shaped dinette and a master.
Old 05-31-2013, 12:36 AM   #5

Just an fyi the reason why I’m posting is because my husband just went through the Tacoma towing bible and then 40 pages of forums about trailers flipping over and swaying. He wants to take back the trailer that we have and trade it in for a smaller one. I don’t want to do that if its just him over worrying. The dealer knows what we have and says its fine but I need some things to show him or people with experience with this.
Old 05-31-2013, 12:37 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Bunkbeds equal bunkhouse. I think that trailer is gonna be too much for the taco especially pulling 6% grades. I pulled a tt that was over my payload and under my total towing capacity through a 7% grade and learned I didnt have enough truck to control the tt coming down the mountain. That was where I learned the definition of having enough truck to pull but not enough truck to stop a trailer.

There is a lot more to a properly matched rig than my truck can tow x lbs. The limiting factor on smaller trucks is payload. The absolute best thing you can do is load the taco up with all passengers, pets and gear that will be in it when towing plus a full tank of fuel. Go to the local scale (CAT Scale and weigh it. Take the scaled weight of the taco and subtract it from the gcwr of the taco to get your adjusted toeing capacity. Take the scaled wright and subtract it from the tacos gvwr to get your available payload. The loaded tongue weight needs to he under this. You need to be within all of these numbers.

The tongue weight should be 13-15% of the loaded tt weight (remember you will never tow an unloaded or dry trailer). Most tend to add 1000-1500 lbs to a trailer, some less, some more. We are a family of 3 and have added 1300 lbs as of last weigh in. You are probably looking at close to 6000 lbs with that trailer once you add in battery, propane, all options, gear etc. That means a tongue weight of 780-900 lbs to be added into your payload. I would look at a smaller trailer or a bigger truck.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 02:01 AM   #7
Engineer of Crazy Train

Welcome to the forum.

When buying a trailer, always look at the GVW of the trailer because the dry weight is fictional. No one camps in an empty trailer.

Trailer sway happens mostly due to improperly loaded trailers and excessive speed. Trailers need at least 10% with 12 to 15% a much more preferred amount of weight on the hitch. Because of that, your hitch with a 6500lb rating may only have 650lb tongue rating.

As for the hills, as long as our speed is controlled, you are fine. I tow at 60mph. Not sure how steep the hills are on the Massachusetts Turnpike, but I have no issues with them. You should never tow above 65mph. Not sure how much power your V6 gasser has over my baby diesel, so I cant comment on performance.

Hopefully Doug will be by. He loves talking about weight and scales. :-)
Locomotive Engineer
Nights Camping --- 2015 - 19 Camped | Winterized -- 2014 -18
Come read my Camping Blogs
ChooChooMan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 02:27 AM   #8

Im still looking to hear more info if anyone thinks they can add. This just seems so border line and Im bummed because I like the one we got so much. We haven't picked it up yet but signed the papers. Im hoping the dealer will address our concerns. We do have electric breaks but at this point I don't know. We went over weights with the dealer before we picked it out but Im surprised they didn’t go to much into detail. You live and you learn I guess.
Old 05-31-2013, 02:39 AM   #9
Site Team

it's doable, IMHO, but you won't be happy pulling through the mountains, with a v-6. the trailer's GVWR is below the 6500 number.
but the problem will be the loaded tongue weight vs. the Taco's payload amount. you won't be able to carry much in the truck bed, weight-wise.

if you get a quality WDH with built-in sway control, like the Equal-i-zer or Reese Dual-Cam and a good brake controller, like the Prodigy P2 or P3, you should be o.k.
just realize that v-6 will struggle up the mountains.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 05:31 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
it's doable, IMHO, but you won't be happy pulling through the mountains, with a v-6. the trailer's GVWR is below the 6500 number.
but the problem will be the loaded tongue weight vs. the Taco's payload amount. you won't be able to carry much in the truck bed, weight-wise.

if you get a quality WDH with built-in sway control, like the Equal-i-zer or Reese Dual-Cam and a good brake controller, like the Prodigy P2 or P3, you should be o.k.
just realize that v-6 will struggle up the mountains.
X2
Top B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 07:43 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kcompt01 View Post
The dealer knows what we have and says its fine but I need some things to show him or people with experience with this.
A dealer will say just about anything to sell a trailer.

That is a lot of trailer for a mid-sized pickup.

As others have suggested, load up the family and expected cargo, and get the truck weighed. Subtract that weight from the GVWR.....that should be listed on the truck door. See if you have another 700 lbs. or so of available payload for the trailer tongue.

Also, check out the sticker on the hitch to make sure it can handle the tongue weight. A 12% tongue weight on a 6000 lb. camper is 720 lbs.

The 11,100 lb. figure stated is probably the GVWR. That is the total weight of the truck and trailer. If the truck comes in at 6000 lbs loaded for camping, then that means you can only have a 5,100 lb. camper. Heavier truck, less trailer.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 07:53 AM   #12

Truck-wise....6 cyl vs 8 cyl...never send a boy to do a man's job
Sargent's Fox Hole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 08:00 AM   #13
Always Learning

ChooChoo said I should post so here I am. anaro and MtnGuy both are spot on the money. You need to load the truck up like a normal camping trip and get weighed.

I haven't looked at specs, but it sounds like a lot of trailer and a smaller truck. To me, this is when staying within your ratings is the most important.

And sadly, the dealers aren't going to get into details. My sister has a very close friend that I'm trying to have this exact discussion with (long camper, SUV and a big 5-personal family); there's no way she's going to be within weight limits - but, "we told the dealer what we were towing with and they're the experts".

Please to get weighed. It'll tell you so much.
Old 05-31-2013, 09:18 AM   #14

Your current set up is doable with a good WDH with sway control, preferably built in. One thing to consider is how you camp. For example, do you drive somewhere then stay for several days to a week or are you on the move often.

My point is, if you are a go and stay type camper then if you have to drive 60 to feel safe, what's the big deal. So it takes you an extra hour or so to get to your destination, you're going to be there for a week, so what's a couple of extra hours on the road compared to the time you spend in the trailer you like.
bradnailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 09:41 AM   #15
Experienced Newbie

A generalized rule of thumb for tow vehicle wheelbase to trailer length is:

The first 110" of wheelbase allows 20' of trailer. Each additional 4" of wheelbase allows an additional 1' of trailer.

Please note, this formula does not factor the weight of the trailer at all.

Based on this formula alone, your Tacoma's 127" wheelbase allows a 24' trailer. Which I personally would not trust as this same formula says my 2500 Suburban is allowed a 25 foot trailer.

The GVWR for your Tacoma is 4900#. My suburban GVWR is 8600.

2011 Silverado CC/SB
2014 Cougar 31SQB
mhartzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 09:54 AM   #16
daydreaming about camping

Without an actual loaded weight on your current truck - we are forced to more or less guess. The problem is that not very many people can accurately predict the weight of their vehicle when loaded. In your case a few pounds one way or the other can (and probably will) make a huge difference.

2013 Coachmen Freedom Express 320BHDS pulled by a 2005 F250 King Ranch CC

A rainy day camping is better than a sunny day at work.
jeeplj8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 09:56 AM   #17
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeplj8 View Post
Without an actual loaded weight on your current truck - we are forced to more or less guess. The problem is that not very many people can accurately predict the weight of their vehicle when loaded. In your case a few pounds one way or the other can (and probably will) make a huge difference.
I concur!
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 09:58 AM   #18

Let me throw in my $0.02 worth. At one time we used to tow an Outback 23RS with a 2004 4Runner. 4Runners are based on a Taco chassis, so underneath they are very similar. In terms of trailer, our Outback and your Mini-lite are very similar in length and weight. In terms of TV, the 4Runner had a slight edge in GVW and tow capacity (7000#), and had a V8 (4.7L). Your Taco has an edge in the wheelbase department, which is very important. (127" vs 110") We had a Husky round bar WDH and friction sway bar on the 4Runner. That all said, I can't say I was ever comfortable towing the 23RS. I usually kept the speed down to 60, and always had to be on the lookout for passing trucks, etc. We towed that combination for 4 years, and fortunately never had any mishaps or scary moments. Would I do it again? NO. So my advice to you would be: Yes, you can tow it with the Taco, but every trip would be a white knuckle experience. And FYI, once we moved up to the Tundra Crewmax, towing that Outback became a piece of cake. Made all the difference in the world.

Bob
2013 Rockwood HW296
w4drr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 10:07 AM   #19
rce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kcompt01 View Post
I need some help here we have a Toyota Tacoma 2008 v6 double cab short bed with a factory towing package that can tow 6500 total with a gross 11,100. Looking to buy the Rockwood mini light 2504 which weighs 4124 dry weight + options. We are concerned about the length and weight of the trailer is it safe? My husband is really concerned about sway. We will be taking it through grades up to 6% at times. Should we get something else smaller? Thanks for the help.
We went through a similar siuation. Bought a used 3000lb dry weight trailer and needed to get a truck. Was sure I coiuld get away with a smaller truck. But after much review of this site and posting like you have, we decided an a used 1/2 ton truck with trailer towing package, bigger enfgine, axle ratio, etc. I was sure I had bought too big a truck but it was a great deal from a family member. Now I am so glad I have a bigger truck. If your husband is going to worry all the time, like I do then, get a bigger truck. I don't think getting a smaller trailer for your family will be very comfortable. Ours is 19 feet and just the 2 of us and it feels small, cause it is!

Towing is a breeze. We used to pull a tent trailer with an SUV at its limit and I was never comfortable and we went very slow!

I think I've read most "experts" recommend not exceeding 2/3 of your truck's maximum tow capacity, one even said 1/2 is more appropriate.

Absolutely ignore the dealer's advice!!!
rce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 11:08 AM   #20
Engineer of Crazy Train

One thing to remember, not everyone is the same. I started towing race cars when I was a kid, and towed anything from open single car trailers to 32' hitch mount to 42 foot fifth wheels. I feel comfortable with my setup because I have been doing it for a while (granted I took a long break.)

If you are new, you want to feel comfortable with your setup. When I rented to see if the rest of the family would like camping, the 24 footer was a leaning experience with my TV. I realized that I should have a better hitch, smaller trailer, and better tires. I did all 3.
Locomotive Engineer
Nights Camping --- 2015 - 19 Camped | Winterized -- 2014 -18
Come read my Camping Blogs
ChooChooMan74 is offline   Reply With Quote