Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-12-2017, 08:05 PM   #21

NJ law states cross if mounts on each side, if mounted single, there really is no crossing.
Old 11-12-2017, 09:28 PM   #22

Brother-in-law to the rescue! While he was adding the 2" welds to my Andersen frame brackets . . . He bent up some 1/2" steel rod and attached them permanently to each side of the frame. The original loop appears to be 3/8".

Fully crossed now!
Click image for larger version

Name:	crossed chains.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	378.2 KB
ID:	156312
madmaxmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 09:32 PM   #23
Who Dares, Wins

How it should have been done from the start.. Looks good

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 09:53 PM   #24

Thinking....it must be legal to run uncrossed as the trailers have to be certified by the NTSB...if I'm not mistaken...and if that was a requirement, wouldn't the trailer manufactures have to comply and mount the chains accordingly so they would able to be hooked in the X configuration ? As I posted earlier, the NTSB/DOT requirement was only having chains with a weight rating capable of supporting the load of the trailer.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 09:56 PM   #25
Who Dares, Wins

But technically the chains can be crossed, they just wouldn't be very effective.. The hitch is what prevents them from crossing here, I think..

2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
Old 11-12-2017, 09:58 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc73 View Post
But technically the chains can be crossed, they just wouldn't be very effective.. The hitch is what prevents them from crossing here, I think..
If the link is mounted dead center with both chains attached at that point, it's physically impossible to make the X and you only twist the chains together.
Old 11-12-2017, 10:09 PM   #27
Who Dares, Wins

Why is this the impossible? Even if it is one chain, using the middle link welded, there is a "left" and "right" chain. They can be crossed ( left over the right) there by forming an x... Just a very small and ineffective one.

2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
Old 11-12-2017, 10:27 PM   #28

Quote:
Why is this the impossible? Even if it is one chain, using the middle link welded, there is a "left" and "right" chain. They can be crossed ( left over the right) there by forming an x... Just a very small and ineffective one.
The end link of both chains terminate at a single link welded to front of the frame. crossing the chains just twist them until you have a little 'Y' where they attach to the hitch and you have a much shorter chain than you started with. My old Jayco had a chain bolted on the right side of the frame and a chain bolted on the left side. If you crossed them...they formed an X.
Old 11-12-2017, 10:58 PM   #29

A little off topic. Our W&P with a gooseneck only came with one chain.
2012 Ram 3500, diesel, 4X4, dually, black, de-badged.
1994 Harley Heritage Softail, black.
2014 Honda Pioneer, not available in black.
Biker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 05:36 PM   #30

PA requirement is that they be crossed under the hitch. My old TT had a single point attachment and was very hard to comply unless i routed the chains around my jack post. State trooper gave me a faulty equipment warning ticket that was hard to justify the single point attachment but they backed off in the end. Said i should reattach them to the frame at new locations to avoid future problems.
5camprs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 05:59 PM   #31
Who Dares, Wins

Be happy it was the warning.. Like I said above, $300 fine and out of service if it could not be rectified.

2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
Old 11-17-2017, 06:02 PM   #32
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker View Post
A little off topic. Our W&P with a gooseneck only came with one chain.
I knew they needed chains. At least here in PA it would need two. Guess because it us still considered a ball hitch just upside down

2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
Old 11-17-2017, 06:20 PM   #33
2007 WildCat 32QBBS

One chain is fine on a gooseneck as long as the chain's breaking strength is rated greater than the gvwr of the towed trailer.
2 chains aren't necessary on a gooseneck because there is not a draw bar (tongue) to catch in the event it becomes disconnected as long as that single chain is rated like stated above.
18CrewDually is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 06:24 PM   #34
Who Dares, Wins

Must be another state by state thing, we require two... And they need to be crossed! Never used a gooseneck so no idea if they can be crossed?

2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
Old 11-17-2017, 06:46 PM   #35
2007 WildCat 32QBBS

Quote:
Must be another state by state thing, we require two... And they need to be crossed! Never used a gooseneck so no idea if they can be crossed?
I see that in title 75 but they specify two chains to capture the draw bar. There isn't one on a gooseneck. But it is ball & socket just like the Andersen hitch.
It's funny how some of these laws written don't take everything into consideration and thankfully to the officer's discretion it's a pretty selective enforcement. Heck, we still have enforceable statutes on tying up your horse.
Let me ask this, would you enforce (c) below? I think they're referring to when you swing a turn, the trailer tire path can not be more than 6" outside the towed vehicle's tire path. At least that's my interpretation. I know we are well past that with out 5ers.

§ 4905.**Safety requirements for towed vehicles.

(a)**Connecting devices and distances.--When one vehicle is towing another, the connection shall be of sufficient strength to pull all weight towed. The distance between the vehicles shall not exceed 15 feet except between any two vehicles transporting poles, pipes, machinery or other objects of a structural nature such that they cannot readily be dismembered.

(b)**Red flags and lights.--If the distance between the vehicles exceeds five feet, a red flag or cloth not less than 12 inches square shall be displayed upon the connection centered between the vehicles. During hours of darkness a red light shall be displayed at the same position in lieu of the flag or cloth.

(c)**Deflection of trailer wheels.--Every trailer shall be attached to the vehicle drawing it so as to prevent the wheels of the trailer from deflecting more than six inches from the path of the drawing vehicle's wheels.

(d)**Safety chains.--Whenever two vehicles are connected by a ball-and-socket type hitch, or pintle hook without a locking device, they shall also be connected by two safety chains of equal length, each safety chain having an ultimate strength at least equal to the gross weight of the towed vehicles. The safety chains shall be crossed and connected to the towed and towing vehicle and to the tow bar so as to prevent the tow bar from dropping to the ground in the event the tow bar fails or becomes disconnected. The safety chains shall have no more slack than is necessary to permit proper turning.
Old 11-17-2017, 06:58 PM   #36
Who Dares, Wins

Deflection is actually when it is traveling down the road, not turning. Ever see a car or truck looking crooked when driving down the road? That's deflection. Edit, yes it would be a sign of a more significant issue like broken suspension or frame.

We have a few weird laws.. Men need to where shirts in public, no spitting on the sidewalk and yes.. The horse rains need to be double tied to keep the horse secure. Our vehicle code has not had a major overhaul since the 60's

2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
Old 11-17-2017, 07:17 PM   #37
2007 WildCat 32QBBS

Interesting on the deflection or what I call crabbing. 6" is ALOT that's for sure. I don't recall anything about deflection in our title 39 statutes. NJ doesn't revamp the statutes but occasionally adds an additional here and there.
Old 11-17-2017, 07:48 PM   #38
Who Dares, Wins

Crabbing.. That is a new one for me. Yes, 6" is a big issue. But a lot of the semis deflect a bit if you watch closely, especially if they got their rear wheels cocked if they have adjustable rear axles. But yes if you deflect 6" you got major safety issues going on I am sure.

2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB

Tags
safety