Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-09-2013, 03:41 PM   #21
I just tow the TT for DW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridersfan View Post
Were all those photos while moving? That Escalade should have rear load leveling suspension... doesn't look like it can keep up (though even with load leveling a weight distributing hitch is still a darn fine idea)

Only the 3rd pic was taken while moving. I told DW that I sure hope they were heading north on 95 since we were headed south. They came in after we had gone to bed on Sunday night and stayed in one of the overnight sites too, so they were only passing through. What's even worse is we saw the dad put two little one's in the back seat of the Escalade (couldn't tell if they were still asleep or not), then the dad went back into the RV for about 30 minutes or so before pulling in the slide and taking off. If he ever came back to check on them in Escalade, we never saw him, and there didn't appear to be anyone else in the Escalade with the two little kids as best we could tell. Obviously, the dude was a few eggs short of a dozen.

I'll never understand why people don't take it upon themselves to become educated about towing, WDH's, etc, particularly those with young children. I knew absolutely nothing about towing a trailer when we started RVing, but I knew my number one priority was the safety of my family and those around me on the road. So I did research and more research until I was familiar with towing capacities, payload capacities, axle ratios, GCWR's, dry weight vs max weight, etc. The last thing I ever wanted to do was jeopardize my family's safety or the safety of others. I would think most folks feel the same, but then there are others...

2008 Ford F350 King Ranch Lariat SD CC 4x4 V10 4:10
2012 Rockwood Windjammer 3008 - Equalizer 12k
2007 EZGO TXT Lifted/Custom Golf Cart

Nights Camped: 2011(52) 2012(65) 2013(65) 2014 (51) 2015 (40)
kamp k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 03:52 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamp k View Post

I'll never understand why people don't take it upon themselves to become educated about towing, WDH's, etc, particularly those with young children. I knew absolutely nothing about towing a trailer when we started RVing, but I knew my number one priority was the safety of my family and those around me on the road. So I did research and more research until I was familiar with towing capacities, payload capacities, axle ratios, GCWR's, dry weight vs max weight, etc. The last thing I ever wanted to do was jeopardize my family's safety or the safety of others. I would think most folks feel the same, but then there are others...

It is pretty sad... One would HAVE to assume something wasn't right with the tail end of the TV on the ground as well as the front of the camper... If I have the slightest issue that could pose a safety issue I fix it! example... I installed air bags and a rear sway bar on a Ram diesel 2500 as well as a weight distribution hitch for a camper that is "1/2 ton towable"... It is all over kill but it increases me and my families safety as well as anyone around me while towing...

TV- 2015 Ram 2500 CCLB 6.7 Cummins 3.42 gears
Camper - 2015 Saber 322BHTS
avolnek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 03:22 PM   #23

Kind of amazing and saddening when you think about! Scarry! Most people think a WD hitch is for trucks that can't handle a trailer when in reality it is a safety requirement!

Better to have a bad day of camping than a good day at work!
Dodge Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 03:27 PM   #24
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge Guy View Post
Kind of amazing and saddening when you think about! Scarry! Most people think a WD hitch is for trucks that can't handle a trailer when in reality it is a safety requirement!
Agree 100%. Might not be a safety requirement, but it damn sure is needed on just about every tv going. I bet he never even increased the air pressure in his rear tires which no doubt are P rated.
Old 07-12-2013, 09:57 AM   #25

Yikes and WOW! Good thing there are power seats in that Escalade to readjust the driving line of sight.
Unfortunately, is not the people who frequent RV forums, but the good chunk of RVers who should have a higher level of due diligence and be aware of the content in this link:
5 Ways To Prevent An Accident When Driving An RV

2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS Travel Trailer
2012 F150 EcoBoost (HD Payload & Max Tow)
Doering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 10:02 AM   #26
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doering View Post
Yikes and WOW! Good thing there are power seats in that Escalade to readjust the driving line of sight.
Unfortunately, is not the people who frequent RV forums, but the good chunk of RVers who should have a higher level of due diligence and be aware of the content in this link:
5 Ways To Prevent An Accident When Driving An RV
One would think a lawyer would know the difference between "breaking" and "braking". LOL.
"Breaking distances

Some of the class A RV's can be over 45 feet in length and this means that a vehicle of this size is going to take a lot longer to come to a stop than a car would. This means that as a driver you need to leave added space between you and the vehicle in front."
Old 07-12-2013, 10:08 AM   #27

We saw a lot of this last week.
Previously:
2005 Fleetwood Seapine, 2012 Rockwood Roo
2015 Sunseeker, 2017 Fleetwood Pace Arrow
hockeytownmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 10:41 AM   #28

Well, if they were from NC, it's pretty typical!

Hope my fellow Tar Heels aren't too offended.
Taylorgso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 07:54 PM   #29

"I have a big SUV!" (1/2 ton Escalade) "My big truck doesn`t need a hitch like that? it has auto leveling" I can guarantee you that was the answer he gave when he was told he should have a WD hitch. some people just shouldn`t be towing!....some shouldn`t even be driving.

Old 07-13-2013, 08:17 PM   #30
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylorgso View Post
...Hope my fellow Tar Heels aren't too offended.
Naw, we just consider the source.
Old 07-14-2013, 02:08 PM   #31

That Escalade has a active load leveling system and would of leveled the truck if he had of hook up the trailer with the truck running, it looks like he spent the night without dropping the tongue and then drove off. He still needs WD though.
Old 07-14-2013, 02:10 PM   #32

I saw this Dodge 1/2er in the same boat the other day.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130714_130915.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	33.6 KB
ID:	35312
Old 07-14-2013, 05:41 PM   #33

The sales guy that sold us our previous and current trailer said he's amazed at the people who decline to get a WDH when they really need it. Some claim to have their own at home and insist on doing the set up themselves. But most just refuse it. Afterlife, he cannot force them to get one. On their invoices and records for the sale, they make note that they strongly suggested the customer get a WDH hitch, and that the customer refused that item.
I got a friend that pulled a Springdale the size of ours. Used a '99 F150 and no WDH. He'd see mine and comment all the people in his family that said he should have one. But truck and camper are gone now, he never keeps anything.
John4th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 10:09 AM   #34
daydreaming about camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coops1 View Post
That Escalade has a active load leveling system and would of leveled the truck if he had of hook up the trailer with the truck running, it looks like he spent the night without dropping the tongue and then drove off. He still needs WD though.
I was thinking maybe he had the air level system, but it sprung a leak on their trip and that was why it was sitting like that. I believe the system will level out as soon as the key is turned.

2013 Coachmen Freedom Express 320BHDS pulled by a 2005 F250 King Ranch CC

A rainy day camping is better than a sunny day at work.
jeeplj8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 10:35 AM   #35

I hope that if anyone sees me doing something wrong - even in just their opinion - that they tell me. I remember when Daisyboiken did just that with me - and I was so glad! Towing is fun. But also nothing to trivialize.
Duramax/Allison
Full timers since 5/30/2013
OL Creeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 10:37 AM   #36

It normally does, it might have been struggling with the weight. When I had mine it was a real PITA to get the WD to play nice with levelling system of the truck.
Old 07-16-2013, 10:56 AM   #37

I don't think that system is designed for 1200 lbs of TW plus the people and cargo!