Old 11-08-2012, 01:02 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeplj8 View Post
so is the noise kind of a pop when the cam pops out or more of a screech of it binding on metal? Just curious. Those kind of noises will probably freak the wife out a little...
I think mine is more of a pop, but if you use vaseline you hardly hear anything and only at low speeds. I would think the lighter the tongue weight, the less noise you would have. That's a guess though. You get used to it and pretty soon it's like a ticking clock that you no longer hear.

Old 11-08-2012, 01:15 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I read several comments online - including an "expert opinion" on etrailer that the trunnion bars are superior to round bars. However the round bars are definitely cheaper.
I have also read that the square spring bars with the trunnion fittings are preferred, mainly for 2 reasons:

The head assembly can be fine tuned better. There are perhaps a dozen different angles for the head assembly due to the grooved spacer that is used. I thing the round bar head assembly only has 6 positions.

In the case of needing heavier spring bars for future trailers, the square bar system can go up to 1700 lbs. of tongue weight....all you would need to do is buy the heavier bars. The round bar setup only goes to 1200 lb. maximum weight.

The only problem that I have (personally) is that there is sometimes a rub problem in using the square bar system....but I have an older system. The newer dual cams look different than my setup, and also now have the chain hanger connectors angled, where mine are straight. That should bring the spring bars away from the tongue frame more, I think.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 01:22 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
so is the noise kind of a pop when the cam pops out or more of a screech of it binding on metal? Just curious. Those kind of noises will probably freak the wife out a little...
I think of it as the Rice Crispie boys in pain. Snap, crackle, pop, with some groaning thrown in.

Seriously, my setup makes all sort of weird noises, especially after towing a couple of hundred miles and the Vaseline is no longer doing the job. I hear plenty of other bumper pull travel trailers coming into the campground with louder WDHs than mine. There is a lot of pressure on WDHs, and many have metal to metal contact as with the dual cam system.

Old 11-20-2012, 11:23 PM   #24
daydreaming about camping

Weighed it with new 12k Reece straight line setup, heavier as we were loaded for near week long trip.
Steer axle 4040
Drive axle 5180
Trailer axle 7980
Gross weight 17200

2013 Coachmen Freedom Express 320BHDS pulled by a 2005 F250 King Ranch CC

A rainy day camping is better than a sunny day at work.
jeeplj8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 08:35 AM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

You only list the combo with spring bars attached. You do not list the Excursion alone weights. There are weight differences from your 1st post, since you now have a heavier trailer, and probably redistributed weight in the Excursion.

Not ideal, but comparing to the weights in post #1, the current setup looks pretty good.

Make sure you are not exceeding the axle weight ratings....those should be posted on the driver's door.

How about a photo of your hitch setup ??

Old 11-21-2012, 09:13 AM   #26

I did not have the time to do multiple weighs this time as we were loaded up for our trip to the inlaws. But there was no more than an additional 50 pounds in the truck, most of that was girl scout cookies. we loaded everything in the camper.

Old 11-24-2012, 10:51 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnguy View Post
You only list the combo with spring bars attached. You do not list the Excursion alone weights. There are weight differences from your 1st post, since you now have a heavier trailer, and probably redistributed weight in the Excursion.

Not ideal, but comparing to the weights in post #1, the current setup looks pretty good.

Make sure you are not exceeding the axle weight ratings....those should be posted on the driver's door.

How about a photo of your hitch setup ??
Finding accurate ratings for the Excursion is something of a trick. For example most books list the GVWR at 9200 lbs, but when the 6.0 was introduced they raised the GVWR of the Ex to 9900. No explanation.

The rear axle is a Sterling 10.5 which accoding to Sterling has a 9750 weight rating, but I have seen Ford list it at 6600, 7500, 8800. Even at the lowest of those figures, I am in good shape. The springs are rated 4400 each side. Tires at 5200.

I will try and get a picture of the setup sunday when we drive home and post it next week.

Overall I was very happy on the long drive here, we will see if I stay happy when we hit that Thanksgiving traffic going home.

Old 11-24-2012, 12:04 PM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
The rear axle is a Sterling 10.5 which accoding to Sterling has a 9750 weight rating, but I have seen Ford list it at 6600, 7500, 8800. Even at the lowest of those figures, I am in good shape. The springs are rated 4400 each side. Tires at 5200.
What is listed as the RAWR (rear axle weight rating) on the driver's door ??

Tags
cat, scales, scaling