Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-04-2013, 04:26 PM   #21

There were problems with the 6.0? I better unload mine
JeffMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 09:09 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffMc View Post
There were problems with the 6.0? I better unload mine
If you managed to get a 6.0 that hasn't had any problems, you'd better buy a lotto ticket because you are currently having a run of incredible luck.
dustman_stx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 01:27 PM   #23

Lol dustman stx....I've had better luck with the truck @ 155K miles than the lottery. They are not all bad. Usually falls into one of three catagories...1. got a bad one 2. overmodified (tuned) the motor, or 3. poor maintenance. This argument has been overplayed many times so to not hyjack the thread... Ford could have nipped this in the bud early but didn't.
Yes, there are good 6.0's out there!
JeffMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 08:59 PM   #24

Scorpion

Absolutely love mine. More horsepower and torque than I could ask for. Best truck I've ever owned..... So far.......
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	F350 & Puma.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	48.6 KB
ID:	40248  
Old 11-24-2013, 10:48 AM   #25

I love my 6.7L ford as well. Best truck that has ever been put out to date by a long shot. My work truck is a 2013 6.7L cummins and has 10,820 miles on it as of today. It has been in the shop 6 times and just got its 3rd brand new ecu a week ago. Well low and behold the check engine light came on yet again this morning with dealer only codes yet again! Heck even the fuse for the trailer running lights is a dealer only part and it's on back order in most of the country! That should tell you they have wiring problems from the start! Anyways my ford will be getting leased to my company so I don't have to put up with a truck that is always broken down any longer! Plus I will be able to report on how this new motor does with extremely heavy loads!!
turnerpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 11:03 AM   #26

I have been researching this because I am planning to buy a 2014 F-250... maybe... However, I am hearing / reading about fuel pump failures with these engines / trucks not being covered under warranty, and costing the owners $10 - $15K. I am also hearing that GM and Dodge are using the same Bosch pumps, with similar results. Apparently when the pump fails it blows small bits of aluminum throughout the fuel system and it all has to be replaced, right down to the injectors. This is because the EPA demands that we use low sulpher fuel that contains less lubricating qualities than European diesel fuel. I read that Dodge has a class action suit against them for not honoring warranty issues of this nature, but that GM is honoring their warranty. Is anyone else getting any of this info? Can anyone shed a bit more light on it?
schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 01:04 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by schrederman View Post
I have been researching this because I am planning to buy a 2014 F-250... maybe... However, I am hearing / reading about fuel pump failures with these engines / trucks not being covered under warranty, and costing the owners $10 - $15K.
There have been a few such failures, most, if not all, have been the result of something other then fuel in the fuel. Water seems to be the major cultrate but gas and DEF have also been known to cause the failures. As a result Ford has been known to reject warranty claims based on contaminated fuel being the cause and not a manufacturing defect.

With that in mind, I have installed locking fuel caps on both the primary and axillary tanks (nobody but me puts anything in those tanks!!!) and have installed a Dieselsite after-market filter to help catch any water that might find its way in. Yes, the filter is expensive, yes, there is a OEM water filter already installed, and yes, the filter might impact my warranty (my after market 50 gallon aux fuel tank may have already done that anyway) but IMHO the potential benefits outweigh the drawbacks. The peace of mind provided by being able to just look under the truck and confirm there is no water or other crud in the filter is priceless!!

Old 11-24-2013, 01:13 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by N3HCP View Post
There have been a few such failures, most, if not all, have been the result of something other then fuel in the fuel. Water seems to be the major cultrate but gas and DEF have also been known to cause the failures. As a result Ford has been known to reject warranty claims based on contaminated fuel being the cause and not a manufacturing defect.

With that in mind, I have installed locking fuel caps on both the primary and axillary tanks (nobody but me puts anything in those tanks!!!) and have installed a Dieselsite after-market filter to help catch any water that might find its way in. Yes, the filter is expensive, yes, there is a OEM water filter already installed, and yes, the filter might impact my warranty (my after market 50 gallon aux fuel tank may have already done that anyway) but IMHO the potential benefits outweigh the drawbacks. The peace of mind provided by being able to just look under the truck and confirm there is no water or other crud in the filter is priceless!!

What did you install for an aftermarket fuel tank?
Old 11-24-2013, 01:20 PM   #29

Those filters look pretty cool. I hope ford or any manufacturer wouldn't void a warranty for filtering above and beyond the oem. But I'm sure they would try.
Old 11-24-2013, 01:47 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Idaho View Post
What did you install for an aftermarket fuel tank?
It's a Transfer Flow 50 gallon tank in the bed. It's very nice to start out the day with 80+ gallons of fuel on board and not have to try to find a place to fuel up on the road. .

Here's the link:
In-Bed Fuel Tanks - Transfer Flow, Inc. - Aftermarket Fuel Tank Systems

Kind of hard to see in this picture but it's across the bet just behind the cab.

Old 11-24-2013, 01:51 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewie View Post
Those filters look pretty cool. I hope ford or any manufacturer wouldn't void a warranty for filtering above and beyond the oem. But I'm sure they would try.
I think a lot of it comes down to the dealer. It's common knowledge they make far more money on out of warranty work. If the dealer tells Ford the filter caused the problem Ford will likely agree. I know and trust my dealer, what I worry about is the dealer I might have to work with in the even of a failure far from home. I may get a honest, trustworthy one or a complete crook.
Old 11-24-2013, 08:16 PM   #32

6.7 Scorpion

Just hit 7500 miles and performed second oil change. No problems or complaints so far. My mpg has been interesting. The highest I've seen has been an unloaded 18.2 highway @ 62mph. It drops like a rock if I exceed 70mph. The lowest has been 11.8 towing the fiver loaded to 11.5klbs @ 65mph. Again,it drops like a rock if I exceed 70mph. The average at 7500 miles is 14.6. The sweet spot does seem to be 60-62mph. All these numbers are as per the trip computer but I have hand calculated as well and the computer is actually pretty accurate.
All this said, you really have to need the horsepower and torque to justify the extra dough you will spend on the cost of fuel and maintenance on these beasts over a gas rig. Everytime I hitch up to the fiver the truck reminds me why I traded my 2011 F-250 6.2 for the 2012 F-350 6.7. In my mind, there really is no comparison. The 6.2 is a really great power plant but just did not give me what I felt I needed in a a tow vehicle.
Best to all this Thanksgiving!
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	169
ID:	43059  
Old 11-24-2013, 08:36 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabraz View Post
Just hit 7500 miles and performed second oil change. No problems or complaints so far. My mpg has been interesting. The highest I've seen has been an unloaded 18.2 highway @ 62mph. It drops like a rock if I exceed 70mph. The lowest has been 11.8 towing the fiver loaded to 11.5klbs @ 65mph. Again,it drops like a rock if I exceed 70mph. The average at 7500 miles is 14.6. The sweet spot does seem to be 60-62mph. All these numbers are as per the trip computer but I have hand calculated as well and the computer is actually pretty accurate. All this said, you really have to need the horsepower and torque to justify the extra dough you will spend on the cost of fuel and maintenance on these beasts over a gas rig. Everytime I hitch up to the fiver the truck reminds me why I traded my 2011 F-250 6.2 for the 2012 F-350 6.7. In my mind, there really is no comparison. The 6.2 is a really great power plant but just did not give me what I felt I needed in a a tow vehicle. Best to all this Thanksgiving!

Nice rig!!! I will post pictures of mine hooked up to some of my work equipment when I get it to texas and hooked to something!!
Old 12-30-2013, 07:29 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by schrederman View Post
I have been researching this because I am planning to buy a 2014 F-250... maybe... However, I am hearing / reading about fuel pump failures with these engines / trucks not being covered under warranty, and costing the owners $10 - $15K. I am also hearing that GM and Dodge are using the same Bosch pumps, with similar results. Apparently when the pump fails it blows small bits of aluminum throughout the fuel system and it all has to be replaced, right down to the injectors. This is because the EPA demands that we use low sulpher fuel that contains less lubricating qualities than European diesel fuel. I read that Dodge has a class action suit against them for not honoring warranty issues of this nature, but that GM is honoring their warranty. Is anyone else getting any of this info? Can anyone shed a bit more light on it?
A couple of quick comments to your post ...

Spend some time in a Power Stroke forum and read about the HPFP failures. It seems virtually all of them are being covered unless there is a severe maintenance issue. Buying your diesel fuel at truck stops and high volume diesel stations seems to be the requirement here ... water and contaminants in the fuel from mom & pop stations is detrimental.

If you are looking for a 2014, you should wait. If money is no object, the 2015's will have a larger single-sided turbo, corresponding injectors and a switch-activated exhaust brake .... 425hp/875ft-lbs. is rumored. If money is an object, wait until the 2015's come out .... Ford will be giving away their 2014's. I just read the 2015's will begin going into production March 2014 for a Spring release. I just got a smoking deal on a left over 2013 plus 1.9% 72 month financing .... I just may look at a 2014 F350 Platinum which is what I really wanted.
Merlot Sunglo 2011 Harley Davidson Street Glide FLHX, FM 107", PM Heathens 21"/17", Metzeler ME880's (200 Rear), CVO Rear, Chain Drive 116rwhp/127rwt
BrianSF-GA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 11:11 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianSF-GA View Post
A couple of quick comments to your post ...

Spend some time in a Power Stroke forum and read about the HPFP failures. It seems virtually all of them are being covered unless there is a severe maintenance issue. Buying your diesel fuel at truck stops and high volume diesel stations seems to be the requirement here ... water and contaminants in the fuel from mom & pop stations is detrimental.
What kind of hit is resale value going to take when that truck is no longer under warranty? That was one of the deciding factors for me when I ditched my 6.7 recently. Ford covered gobs of warrant work on the 6.0 diesels, but you haven't been able to give one of those away for years now. Hopefully it doesn't materialize into a big debacle like the 6.0, but I wasn't willing to take that $12K bet.
Old 01-10-2014, 12:09 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustman_stx View Post
What kind of hit is resale value going to take when that truck is no longer under warranty? That was one of the deciding factors for me when I ditched my 6.7 recently. Ford covered gobs of warrant work on the 6.0 diesels, but you haven't been able to give one of those away for years now. Hopefully it doesn't materialize into a big debacle like the 6.0, but I wasn't willing to take that $12K bet.
I don't plan keeping it past the warranty period and all vehicle manufacturers have issues with their products in one form or another. There are only three diesel truck manufacturers to choose from .... other than opinions, is one really better than another?

As far as resale, if I had paid the additional $9,500 for an identically equipped and priced (MSRP) Duramax, I would be $9,500 in the hole to start off with. That additional money was the "entire out the door deal" which included the premium no other dealer matched for my trade, but for me, no matter how it's calculated, money is money.

Just curious, a previous post said you were glad you tried the 6.7 and now you said you ditched it. What did you trade it for?
Merlot Sunglo 2011 Harley Davidson Street Glide FLHX, FM 107", PM Heathens 21"/17", Metzeler ME880's (200 Rear), CVO Rear, Chain Drive 116rwhp/127rwt
BrianSF-GA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 01:07 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianSF-GA View Post
I don't plan keeping it past the warranty period and all vehicle manufacturers have issues with their products in one form or another. There are only three diesel truck manufacturers to choose from .... other than opinions, is one really better than another?

As far as resale, if I had paid the additional $9,500 for an identically equipped and priced (MSRP) Duramax, I would be $9,500 in the hole to start off with. That additional money was the "entire out the door deal" which included the premium no other dealer matched for my trade, but for me, no matter how it's calculated, money is money.

Just curious, a previous post said you were glad you tried the 6.7 and now you said you ditched it. What did you trade it for?
I was wondering how long it would be before someone brought up my September post!!! I was happy with the truck in general. It pulled great and man would it run. Got really good mileage as well. But, like I said, the fuel pump issues made up my mind. From my research, it seems to be a when and not if scenario. The fuel we have here just doesn't meet the viscosity requirements needed for the pump to survive. Just FYI, the Duramax uses the same pump- Bosch CP4.2. Dodge uses a different pump- don't remember model of it(CP3.1, maybe)- at a slightly lower pressure. I had warranty left on mine as well, but just because you get rid of it before the warranty expires doesn't mean you won't take a hit on value. The next guy coming up is gonna have to assume the risk that the fuel pump might go at some point. If he's aware of that and takes the potential $12K+/- hit into account, you will lose value. Like I said, maybe it won't pan out and it will be a non-issue, but I'll bet the guys that ditched their 6.0's early before it was common knowledge about the problems were glad they did. Also, there are claims out there that Ford is in fact dodging covering failures under warranty. Supposedly if they can find ANY rust anywhere in the system warranty is denied. I bought used- how would I know that filters were always changed when needed? Are the factory filters good enough to 100% guarantee that no water molecules will EVER get through? I didn't know and wasn't willing to take that risk. IF I experienced a HPFP failure that wasn't covered, it would be financially devastating. I'd have been making payments on a truck that just lost almost half it's value without the means to fix it. Not to mention we'd no longer have been able to camp. To answer your last question- I traded for a Ford F-150 Ecoboost.
Old 01-11-2014, 01:18 PM   #38

Ford 6.0

I have heard a lot of negative hype regarding the Ford 6.0. I know several guys with the later model 6.0s and they are quite happy with their trucks. I know them to be fairly dependable. Every manufacturer will have issues with new models or power plants that underwent major changes. Just visit the forums and you will find guys asking questions about the problems they are having with their trucks. This is especially true with the 6.7 Scorpion. It is a completely fresh, innovative design and the first diesel engine Ford has manufactured in quite some years.
At 11500 miles my late production 2012 has been rock solid so far. Knock on wood. One awesome truck.
The last thing I would say is that IMHO the torque and horse power numbers in the diesel engines today are all so close that it really does not make much difference if one can get up a hill a second or two faster than the other. It boils down to which model floats your boat. For me it is Ford. I am certain the engineers will work out the problems being discovered with the 6.7 models.
By the way, I read a few articles written by engineers from International that stated the problems with the 6.4 revolved around the EPA components they were forced to install. The articles pointed out the same engines sold in other countries that were non-compliant have proven to be solid motors. Of course, that is just what I read. No first hand knowledge of that.
Looking forward to this upcoming camping season. Happy Trails To All.
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	123
ID:	44776  
Old 01-11-2014, 01:48 PM   #39
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabraz View Post
I have heard a lot of negative hype regarding the Ford 6.0. I know several guys with the later model 6.0s and they are quite happy with their trucks. I know them to be fairly dependable. Every manufacturer will have issues with new models or power plants that underwent major changes. Just visit the forums and you will find guys asking questions about the problems they are having with their trucks. This is especially true with the 6.7 Scorpion. It is a completely fresh, innovative design and the first diesel engine Ford has manufactured in quite some years.
At 11500 miles my late production 2012 has been rock solid so far. Knock on wood. One awesome truck.
The last thing I would say is that IMHO the torque and horse power numbers in the diesel engines today are all so close that it really does not make much difference if one can get up a hill a second or two faster than the other. It boils down to which model floats your boat. For me it is Ford. I am certain the engineers will work out the problems being discovered with the 6.7 models.
By the way, I read a few articles written by engineers from International that stated the problems with the 6.4 revolved around the EPA components they were forced to install. The articles pointed out the same engines sold in other countries that were non-compliant have proven to be solid motors. Of course, that is just what I read. No first hand knowledge of that.
Looking forward to this upcoming camping season. Happy Trails To All.
Just turned a little over 14,000 on the clock on my late model 2012. As far as the 6.4 I think that the EPA components being the problem is a poor excuse because they should build their engines to account for the EPA components. I feel the 6.7 will be rock solid just like the 7.3 that Ford built. I believe the problems with the 6.0 and 6.4 was all Navistar.

mackman1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 09:26 AM   #40

Just an update on this motor, I turned over 25,000 miles last night and have yet to have a single problem or issue with the motor or truck. It is a 2013 f-250. Just thought I would share an update from quite a few hard driven miles in a short time frame for this motor!