Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-02-2012, 07:20 PM   #1

Seating for 6

Well, it looks like TheFlagGang5 may well become TheFlagGang6. Current tow vehicle was eventually going to be replaced probably with F250 crew cab. The wife and I are both about 6' tall. Kids are 8 years, 5 years, and 3 years with the next due in January. I don't really want to go towards a 3/4 ton suburban/excursion. I don't need an F250 for daily driving, but know I want it when we start traveling/towing beyond our local campgrounds. We're not full timers by any means, but want to be able to travel some distance on vacations and not be miserable doing it. So what are the families with kiddos doing for tow vehicles? Will an F250 comfortably seat 6 knowing most are kids and one will be in the front middle? Looking forward to replies because right now we're stumped on what we're going to do next year. We may end up staying local and driving two vehicles. Thanks for the help.
2005 Ford Excursion Eddie Bauer 6.0l Diesel
TheFlagGang6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 07:40 PM   #2

My 9 year old son has rode in the front seat with me and the GF a couple times when we needed to use the back area for the dog on one side and the baby on the other. There was still plenty of room for us all in the front. So as long as you are comfortable with one of the kids up front for the trip, it should be cozy, but comfortable.
Rsgtivr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 08:20 PM   #3

Our answer was a motorhome.

Long trips are much easier than if we were towing. The children can be working at the table for example. Potty breaks are much easier (no getting out), snacks and meals can be consumed enroute- even prepared enroute. Dealing with a baby enroute would be far easier as well. I appreciate the get in and turn the key readiness. Driving seems less taxing, perhaps because in our 2 hour driver 2 hour off schedule there is more relaxation sitting with the children at the dinette making lanyards, or reading stories next to our one on the couch. All of mine are still in carseats. No I would not let any child ride up front in a vehicle with airbags. My children are twins age 8 and little guy age 6. And Congratulations on the new baby!!
days camped in 2011: 37 (up to Aug 1st)
2Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 08:26 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Susan View Post
...No I would not let any child ride up front in a vehicle with airbags.
I don't know of any new trucks that don't have either auto shut off airbags or keyed off ones. Also, there's no airbag for the center seat.
Old 07-02-2012, 08:32 PM   #5

Back seat is safer, and my children are more important than the dog. Kennel in the bed would solve the problem.
Old 07-02-2012, 08:50 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Susan View Post
Back seat is safer, and my children are more important than the dog. Kennel in the bed would solve the problem.
Understood, but we just traded our SUV for the truck and didn't have the kenel yet. Have the kennel for the bed now, but I still see no worry for front seat riding in the truck. I grew up with standard cab trucks, was in a couple head on deer smacks at 45+ MPH and never recieved any injuries (rarely did the truck either, lol. just broken grills and lights mostly). Riding in front in a smushy, compact, unibody, plastic car of today at ground level and riding in high, solid framed, steel truck are two different things. That being said, we do aviod it unless absolutely necessary.
Old 07-02-2012, 09:13 PM   #7

I agree the front seat may not be ideal, but the airbag would be turned off. I grew up riding this way all the time tucked right beside my Dad as he shifted his way through the "3 on the tree" in his old truck. Many great memories.
We love our Flagstaff 831 so I don't see a change there. I'm not all that familiar with motorhomes, but are the kids buckled in when they are in various areas while traveling down the road or can they roam around?
Old 07-02-2012, 09:37 PM   #8

Obviously it would depend on the motorhome, but for instance our Sunseeker has 3 seat belts on the sofa and 4 at the table. I think the number one thing with a motorhome is how often to you usually drive somewhere in your tow vehicle after you set up camp? It's not easy to do in a motorhome unless your going to pull a vehicle with seating for 6.
MotocrossCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 10:44 PM   #9

Children are in carseats, which are buckled in. For the couch positions I have plastic lap tables from Michaels which work well for doing projects; they have a bin on either side to hold stuff.

We do not tow a vehicle. we have rented a car - Going to the sun road in Glacier National Park is a tight squeeze even for a pick up truck. The compact was comfortable probably because it wasn't a long drive and we had only snacks, lunch, water and jackets in the trunk. We have thought about a toad, but so far it hasn't seemed necessary. We seem to go to attractions with the motorhome (handy at lunch time) and then head to the camp spot. hen we were in New Hampshire last summer, we spent a couple days at "Storyland" but it was walking distance from the camp. At Hershey park, the campground had a shuttle, the last day we drove and parked, either was easy. At Disneyland we stayed in an RV park a couple blocks away, and the walk was not a problem. The last day we parked in their lot and then took the park shuttle, which honestly took as long as walking from the RV park.

We buy groceries along the way (Trader Joes- get off here!) and we enjoy cooking, but we also find nifty restaurants along the way ( Samauri Sushi near Sacramento, Sardine factory in Monterey) and parking has not been a problem
Old 07-03-2012, 03:50 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlagGang5 View Post
Well, it looks like TheFlagGang5 may well become TheFlagGang6. Current tow vehicle was eventually going to be replaced probably with F250 crew cab. The wife and I are both about 6' tall. Kids are 8 years, 5 years, and 3 years with the next due in January. I don't really want to go towards a 3/4 ton suburban/excursion. I don't need an F250 for daily driving, but know I want it when we start traveling/towing beyond our local campgrounds. We're not full timers by any means, but want to be able to travel some distance on vacations and not be miserable doing it. So what are the families with kiddos doing for tow vehicles? Will an F250 comfortably seat 6 knowing most are kids and one will be in the front middle? Looking forward to replies because right now we're stumped on what we're going to do next year. We may end up staying local and driving two vehicles. Thanks for the help.
I had this same problem. Since we have a lightweight (~6,500 lb) loaded 29' TT, we went with a 2012 Ford F-150 Lariat level with the EcoBoost and Max Tow / max payload packages. The truck is rated for 11,300 towing, and has plenty of payload for this trailer and toys (bikes, kayaks) as well. The Lariat CAN BE equipped with a heated leather bench seat in the front, which is quite comfy and offers a very nice ride. The front middle seat has NO AIRBAG, so it is well suited for a smaller adult or an older child (over 8 yrs or 65 lbs). We plan to do several trips this year with 4 adults and 2 kids or 2 adults and 4 kids. We should be fine with our current setup.

Good luck!
2 kids, one dog (a Golden)
Let's go camping!
Triathletedave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 05:34 PM   #11

I could not imagine riding 6 in my 250.....with the 60/40 front seat it is definantly mathematically possible to do so, but would be very cramped.....car seats/boosters take up as much room as an adult. If the trip was real short it might work.....but im thinking 2hrs MAX....as much as you may not want a 3/4 burb or excursion, it may be the only option if you value your sanity....lol...
2012 lacrosse 318bhs touring- sold
ironj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 07:49 PM   #12

Appreciate all the responses. Started looking at specs for suburban 2500. Wheelbase is 15 inches shorter than my current truck which concerns me pulling our 33' trailer. Unfortunately the other suburban issue is I need a truck for day to day stuff. Good thing I've got time to think it through.
Old 07-04-2012, 08:48 PM   #13

FlagGang have you looked at the E-Series wagons they go up to 10k lbs towing https://www.fleet.ford.com/showroom/...orP22_Sep6.pdf
or the GM Express passenger vans with up to 9900 lbs towing
http://www.chevrolet.com/assets/pdf/...ring_Guide.pdf

both seem to be viable options for when the passenger count gets to 5+ and towing capability is required