Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-26-2012, 10:38 AM   #1

Serious question about Pathfinder towing Vibe 6504

Hi, everyone. I'm new here, and believe me, I've spent many hours online trying to figure out whether my 2002 V-6 Pathfinder will tow the Vibe 6504. I called Vibe dealers across the country and every one of them says, "No problem." Famous last words.

I'm going to order the 6504 without the bunkbeds and dinette, if it won't affect the weight distribution in the trailer. I want to put an office desk and chair in the slide section, because I'll be working on the road. (The dinette takes up too much space.) The dealer said removing those fixtures will subtract about 350 pounds from the TT weight. Forest River's published stats say unloaded 3192 lbs for the 6504. To be conservative, I estimate the weight will drop by 250 lbs.

Here's the stats:

Nissan Pathy auto transmission: 5000 lb towing capacity
Max tongue load: 500 lb
Gross combined weight rating: 9500 lb
Payload weight capacity: 970 lb
Wheelbase: 106"
Vehicle on Fairbanks scale: 4205 lbs (no occupants, no cargo)

Vibe 6504 - 2942 lbs w/fixtures removed
Dry hitch weight: 333 lbs
GVWR w/brakes: 4025 lbs
CCC: 640 lbs
Exterior length: 20' 4"

Me: 125 lbs
My dog: 50 lbs
Our stuff: (Depends on how much weight can be added)

My mechanic will install a tranny cooler on my Pathfinder, and an Equal-i-zer hitch.

The weight will go up when I add my office desk and chair and computer, by about 200 pounds. The hitch should probably still be okay at 333 lbs, or maybe I should ask them to replace it with their 298 lb hitch?

The numbers look okay in my newbie mind, but numbers aren't everything. I'll be driving mountain roads, and will also be taking long trips, like three months at a time. This will include campsites as well as boondocking. I have to be sure. I don't want to buy another rig for a TV if I don't have to, but safety on the road is first and protecting my Pathfinder from damage is also very important.

I've been looking at a 2002 Silverado 1500 Extended Cab (V-8) for a tow vehicle, but that's 9 or 10 grand plus insurance plus continued maintenance. (I'm stubborn about not giving up my Pathfinder. It's simply the best car I've ever had, so a trade-in is not an option for me.) Another potential TV is a 2003 Dodge Durango SLT, which will tow 7300 lbs with a towing package installed. I can get one of those for about 8 grand. The Silverado offers more versatility, but the Durango might be more comfortable for me and especially for my dog, who is 12 years old. I don't think the MPG will be much different for any of the TVs. I'll keep it to 60 mph unless I'm holding people up and then might bump it up to 65.

Any thoughts or comments would be greatly appreciated. It might save me making a 10-hour round trip to look at a Silverado.
Slingshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 11:15 AM   #2

I towed a huge Coleman Sun Ridge (~3500# when loaded for a trip) for several years with my 2000 PF. And I have a family of 5 (I added an aftermarket 3rd row). With the exception of a large tailwind or a long downhill run I drove with O/D off running at 3000+ RPMs in order to drive 62-65 mph. I got 10-12 mpg.

We took this setup from Ohio to the UP (10 hour trip, several times) and to florida twice. And multiple 2-3 hour trips in between.

No issues. I never added an additional cooler. I did have to add a brake controller. I just used friction sway control.
BackInAction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 11:17 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

You might tow it, but you won't be happy. Gas mileage will be horrible, and you will eat transmissions towing in the mountains. My opinion.

Also you made this statement about bunk removal in the beginning, "I estimate the weight will drop by 250 lbs." Then you added a statement, about your office, "I add my office desk and chair and computer, by about 200 pounds."

Now in the end, it's a wash. You have to add food, clothing, dishes, towels, and the list goes on. Personal stuff will 500 pounds or more. Also add 100 pounds to the tongue weight for a battery and propane. Now if boondocking, might need two batteries, or a generator, where is that going? Also boondocking requires water, 40 gallons of fresh water is another 320 pounds.

You are pushing the limits, but do as you wish. Again, my opinion.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 11:54 AM   #4

Windrider, that's exactly the kind of opinion I'm looking for, as well as BackInAction's opinion. Per Forest River specs, the TT simply cannot be loaded beyond 4025 pounds, no matter what, as that's its limit.

I hadn't weighed my office equipment when I posted, and I apologize for overestimating, but it's actually a 30-lb office chair and a 25-pound table. Computer and accessories are 20 lbs. Actual weight is closer to 75 pounds

I do travel very light. A couple years ago when I was considering a different TT, all supplies, including clothing, added up to about 300 pounds (I weighed every single item.) Generator is about 80 pounds, same for battery (I think). I didn't purchase a TT because life just didn't turn out that way at the time.

I think the basic question is whether the Pathfinder will haul 4,025 lbs or not. I even contacted the folks at etrailer.com. They also say it's fine if a tranny cooler is installed. The Pathfinder forum has varying opinions about it.

If anyone has some sort of matching real-world experience towing 4000 lbs Forest River TT with a Pathy that has a tranny cooler, I'd love to hear it. I'm all prepared to buy another TV, but would much rather travel in my Pathfinder. I honestly don't know if the V-nose will make any difference in weighing pros and cons.
Old 06-26-2012, 12:07 PM   #5

BackInAction, thanks for weighing in, no pun intended. It sounds like your family of five in a Pathy pulling ~3500 compared to me and my dog in a Pathy pulling ~4000 is just about the same overall weight. Unless of course you're talking about little kids.

It never hurts to have a tranny cooler installed anyway, and since your Pathy did okay in the UP, I suppose I could haul the TT from Ohio (where I'll purchase it) to Oregon. If I have any concerns whatsoever, then I can buy a dedicated TV when I return.

If I get a lot of "don't do it" comments, then I'll buy another TV and be done with it. Just don't like going into debt.
Old 06-26-2012, 01:23 PM   #6

My bad. I didn't bother to look up your camper model to realize it was a TT. Towing a 4000# PUP vs a 4000# TT at highway speeds is like night and day. The wind resistance is significant. Far more than I ever thought. I towed the Same PUP with my new Ford Expy and it was like nothing was there. When I towed home our new HTT (empty about 4000#) the difference is significant!

I would not tow a full height camper with my PF, maybe a t@b like camper. But never a full height camper regardless of weight.
BackInAction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 02:41 PM   #7

Thanks for following up, BIA. After posting on this forum, I went back and read through pages of posts on the Pathfinder forum "real world towing" topic. Lots of people towing 4000 lbs with a Pathy, but the bottom line is that my gut tells me it's too close a call.

Just got off the phone with one dealer and discussing a 2003 Durango with plenty of towing power. Had to call another dealer and cancel taking a trip to see a Silverado, because the back seat would not be comfortable for my dog, as she just wouldn't have a lot of room. I think she'll be happy in the Durango, and no worries about towing. Now I just have to resist the temptation to get a bigger TT
Old 06-26-2012, 02:49 PM   #8

Slingshot
Just an FYI on the weight distribution hitch. With the V nose on this trailer there is no room to put a bolt on L bracket. On mine Vibe 6501 (E2 WDH) we had to weld the bracket that the L bracket bolts to onto the frame. I don't know if forestriver has come up with a different method to attach the bracket yet.

Current: 2019 Sunseeker 2290S
Previous (2012-2016): 2012 Vibe 6501
1 Prospector Canoe, 2 Mtn. Bikes & 4 Hiking Boots
Happy Vibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 05:28 PM   #9

Hi, Happy Vibe (great name!)

Thanks for the heads up. I have to travel to Ohio to get the TT and hopefully they'll know up there how to add that. Can't travel without the WDH.

Now that I'm getting a TV with more towing capacity, I'm kind of looking for a 22' TT with a V-nose. The Vibe goes from 20' to 28' 9", which that's just too long for me, and then I'd be looking for an even bigger TV to carry the extra weight.

I do like the looks of the Vibe, though, and will probably stick with it. Are you satisfied with yours? I've never owned a TT before, but have read online about them until I can't absorb much more. The Vibe just kind of "feels right" to me. It's hard to explain.
Old 06-26-2012, 06:07 PM   #10

Yes we are happy with the Vibe. Just the right size for the two of us. We were looking for a smaller trailer with good storage and the vibe works. We had to watch the weight and size as we did not want to buy a new TV.

Current: 2019 Sunseeker 2290S
Previous (2012-2016): 2012 Vibe 6501
1 Prospector Canoe, 2 Mtn. Bikes & 4 Hiking Boots
Happy Vibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 07:25 PM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slingshot View Post
Thanks for the heads up. I have to travel to Ohio to get the TT and hopefully they'll know up there how to add that. Can't travel without the WDH.
i'm assuming you're buying from RVW. if so, they will meet you in between Oregon and Ohio, so you can save in delivery costs.
we were going to drive to Wyoming, which was halfway and the delivery costs would have been half.
we ended up buying from a dealer in Chicago and drove there and back.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 08:40 PM   #12

Hi, Dan. I'm not sure who I'm buying from. RVW dropped the ball on me. I heard good things about couchs, so I called them. They're very informative in talking to me if I call them, but not good about calling me back and following up with more info. I guess that means the RV business is doing very well.

I don't mind the "road trip" to Ohio, I'm actually looking forward to it. And I'll probably have to be on-site at the RV dealer in order to get the WDH installed properly with the welding as Happy Vibe has indicated.

This is a great forum, everyone seems to be very positive about their RVs. That's a good sign for good days ahead.
Old 06-26-2012, 08:45 PM   #13

Well, you had the right TV to start with. But my Pathfinder was love at first sight

I think a 20-footer is a good size, too, and would buy the 6501 except I'll be taking much longer trips. Even though it's just me and my dog, the 6504 slide will probably keep me from feeling too closed in, especially since I'll be spending quite a bit more time on the computer than the typical camper. It sure beats looking at the same scenery day after day, though (even if I do have a beautiful view).

I'm looking forward to hiking all over this beautiful country.
Old 06-26-2012, 10:04 PM   #14
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slingshot View Post
Hi, Dan. I'm not sure who I'm buying from. RVW dropped the ball on me. I heard good things about couchs, so I called them. They're very informative in talking to me if I call them, but not good about calling me back and following up with more info. I guess that means the RV business is doing very well.

I don't mind the "road trip" to Ohio, I'm actually looking forward to it. And I'll probably have to be on-site at the RV dealer in order to get the WDH installed properly with the welding as Happy Vibe has indicated.

This is a great forum, everyone seems to be very positive about their RVs. That's a good sign for good days ahead.
give George from House of Camping in Bridgeview, Illinois, a call. great family-owned dealership.
they beat RVW's price on our Roo 23SS and they were closer than RVW.

still was a 4000 mile trip. great family-owned dealership.
but we made a vacation out of it.

tell him, Dan the Crazy Californian says Hi!
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 07:27 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
give George from House of Camping in Bridgeview, Illinois, a call. great family-owned dealership.
they beat RVW's price on our Roo 23SS and they were closer than RVW.

still was a 4000 mile trip. great family-owned dealership.
but we made a vacation out of it.

tell him, Dan the Crazy Californian says Hi!
Dan, thanks. I took a look around their site, and there are a couple shorter RVs that might fit what I'm looking for. No Vibes, though

Something short with a slide where I can have some office space, even if it means removing a dinette, that's what I'm looking for. Two days later, and still no word from couchs. One week later, and no follow-up from RVW. That's not encouraging.

I'm taking a look at a 2006 Durango on Saturday. It's a dealer 300 miles away but they've got the best selection, best prices, and best reputation. Near as I can tell, this particular Durango with its towing package will haul 8900 lbs. I'm pretty sure that puts me in the safe zone to haul a 4000 lb Vibe.
Old 06-27-2012, 08:23 PM   #16

8900 is about the maximum towing capacity for a 2006 Durango. That is with the 5.7L Hemi and 3.92 axle ratio. 4.7L and/or 3.55 axle ratio and the towing capacity will decrease. Just FYI.

I hope it works out for you. A good condition, properly equipped Durango would work well for what you want. We still have our 2001 5.9L Durango. It towed our first RV, a hybrid, for several years before we purchased the Power Wagon and our Rockwood fifth wheel.

Glenn & Beth (Dad & Mom)
David & Audra (16 year old twins)
2006 Dodge Power Wagon (Adventure & Tow Vehicle)
2006 Rockwood 8281SS (Home away from Home)
Glenn5995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 01:32 PM   #17

Dealer isn't sure it's a hemi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn5995 View Post
8900 is about the maximum towing capacity for a 2006 Durango. That is with the 5.7L Hemi and 3.92 axle ratio. 4.7L and/or 3.55 axle ratio and the towing capacity will decrease. Just FYI.

I hope it works out for you. A good condition, properly equipped Durango would work well for what you want. We still have our 2001 5.9L Durango. It towed our first RV, a hybrid, for several years before we purchased the Power Wagon and our Rockwood fifth wheel.
Thanks, Glenn. The reviews on the 2001 Durango are good, but the one I wanted sold right out from under me. I'll get either a 2001, 2003 or 2006; they have the highest customer satisfaction.

It's amazing that all these dealers I've been talking to don't know if their rig has the hemi or not, if it's an SXT or SLT, the features, towing package or not. I'm keeping my TT at 5000 max fully loaded and making sure my TV hauls 7000 or greater, preferably 8000. So even if this 2006 Durango doesn't have the hemi (and I sure hope it does!), at least it has the towing package and everything is still good.

I just wish I didn't have to drive 5 hours to get to the dealers who have the Durangos
Old 06-28-2012, 02:02 PM   #18
(Kim)

Hi there
I was just reading over your thread and I thought I might as well throw in my 2 cents worth (although it may be only worth 1 cent).
I regards to the Vibe 6504 I would be wary of the low cargo carrying capacity as it is listed at 640lbs when TT is 'dry' weight. This number could very well go down even further when you add necessary items onto the TT like propane batteries and other options.
Also, if you plan on boondocking and dry camping, you will be carrying water in all its forms : gray/black/fresh and @ 8lbs/gallon, that will add up really fast!
You might end up with just enough CCC left to bring along just a toothbrush and 1 change of underwear.

If you are going to buy a new TV, then why not look into another TT that will be ideal for what you need it for.

Good-luck and happy shopping!
DH (Alan), DD (Madison) and Zoey the lab,
Labzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 02:25 PM   #19

Well I don't have any experience with a Pathy, but I do with an '07 Hemi Grand Cherokee (really not much different than the Durango). I have hauled a '96 Coleman SunValley, '01 Flagstaff Shamrock 25', small-medium boats and my v-nose enclosed 2 place sled trailer (with 3 sleds ).

Pro's - No joke, that Hemi has power for a gasser.

Con's - the cost of that power - average 9mpg towing anything but the smallest boat trailer (synthetic fluid in everything, even diff's)
- Even with the factory towing package the suspension sucks... I've been considering Monroe's load adjusters as it is my wifes daily driver and I don't want it too stiff
- Short wheel base and narrow - even with the equilizer it's these Mid sized SUV's don't haul as nice as a 1/2 ton.
- Listening to the hitch rattle irritates me to no end. Every SUV i've been in I hear that god awful clunking.

Now I'm not saying that the Durango is ill fit for towing, I still tow with my Grand Cherokee. However - I currently have a 3500 dually for the family Raptor (Keystone). If the Raptor isn't going, you bet your bottom the 3500 is pulling the Shamrock 25.

The 3500 is way overkill for your situation, BUT might I suggest a 4 door Dakota? I owned a 2005 with the 4.7 for a number of years (traded this for my wifes wedding present *smh* the GC) and put about 70k miles on it. This was probably my favorite 1/2 ton truck, minus the 4.5' bed. It towed all of the above (minus the raptor) substantially better than does the Grand Cherokee - only difference is the Dakota didn't hit 90 when passing and the Dakota actually got around 12-14 mpg when towing @ 65mph.

Sorry that was long winded, but seriously, if you're looking at the Durango, look at the 4 full door Dakota - my 100lb GSD was plenty comfy back there
strokendiesel002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 04:51 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by strokendiesel002 View Post
... if you're looking at the Durango, look at the 4 full door Dakota - my 100lb GSD was plenty comfy back there
Everyone's being great about responding to my question. I've given up on both the Pathy and the Durango because obviously neither one is ideal. Unfortunately I've also given up on the Vibe because they can't customize it.

So now it's on to Plan B, which is a 2006 Dodge Ram 2500 diesel. Trying to negotiate with a dealer on it, but if he can't come down in price I'll have to walk away and look elsewhere. And as long as I'm getting a pickup, might as well get a fiver and do it right.

I'm crunching numbers all over again and it might take me longer to put everything together. Bottom line is safety, though, and protecting the rig. I don't want to be driving down the road or camped somewhere and have some seasoned RV'er look at me and shake his or head like I'm the world's biggest fool.

I'll definitely check out the Dakota. My dog thanks you for the recommendation. If she ain't happy, I ain't happy.