Old 08-12-2012, 06:28 PM   #1

Setting air bag pressure levels

I measured the height of the rear bumper (Ford F350 Dually Supercab) when not hooked to the trailer and with the minimum pressure in the air bags (Firestone Ride Rite). The minimum is suggested to be no less than five lbs.

Then, I hooked up the trailer and inflated the air bags so the
height returned to the exact height as before I hooked up the trailer. I measured the air pressure at that point---let's say it was 90lbs.

When I unhooked the trailer I measured the air pressure again--let's say it was 40 lbs--I don't recall the exact pressure level. The pressure changed because of the change in rear axle weight: no additional air was added and none was taken out.

Knowing those pressure levels means I can bring up the air pressure to the proper towing pressure before I hook up the trailer. Much easier to do that unhooked then with the trailer behind.

Usually I don't leave the pressure at a high level when not towing. Instead I reduce the pressure to 5-10 lbs to improve the non-towing ride quality.

Old 08-12-2012, 06:48 PM   #2

the way I understand and what I do I'd use the air bags to bring my truck back up to pre-loaded height, BEFORE hooking up camper. so it goes like this, unladened height of ball height is 24". I load truck for trip, you know bikes, genny, full coolers, etc. then add air to bring ball back to 24". it varies all the time with loading. Once releveled, I hookup the camper. done. Any drop now is compensated by the WD hitch.

you can do it your way, but it defeat the WD hitch. it needs some drop to work properly.

if you have a 5er then ignore me.

Old 08-12-2012, 06:49 PM   #3
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I do the same but with an exception.
I don't bring fender measurements back to the same as I've found a little less fender height rides better.
I started with 50 psi when unloaded and found psi to be at 90 psi when loaded.
I dropped back to 65 psi loaded about 25 psi unloaded.
Seems to be about right for smooth rodes.
35 psi when I know rough rodes are in my future.
Ron
Old 08-12-2012, 07:52 PM   #4
Now a "Top Member"

This is the great thing with the wireless remote. You can adjust the bags to match the environment. Around Houston (concrete jungle), I have to increase the pressure so I don't get jolted all over the place. Once I get out of Houston and off the concrete roads, I can let some air out. I gotta tell ya, it's the way to go.
Ride-Rite Airbags and Airlift wireless remote compressor...nice!

I thought I was wrong once, but I was wrong!
EdJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 08:12 PM   #5

I have airbags and have never checked the unloaded pressure. I run 65psi loaded after hooking up. One question, how does the air pressure in the bags change with weight? My tires don't change with different weights.
Old 08-12-2012, 08:28 PM   #6
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast murray View Post
I have airbags and have never checked the unloaded pressure. I run 65psi loaded after hooking up. One question, how does the air pressure in the bags change with weight? My tires don't change with different weights.
I beg to differ, if you get a very accurate tire gauge and attach it and start adding wt to the bed of the truck, you will see an increase. The same as stepping on a balloon, if it is near capacity, it will increase to a point and burst.
Old 08-12-2012, 08:35 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdJunior View Post
This is the great thing with the wireless remote. You can adjust the bags to match the environment. Around Houston (concrete jungle), I have to increase the pressure so I don't get jolted all over the place. Once I get out of Houston and off the concrete roads, I can let some air out. I gotta tell ya, it's the way to go.
I put a Viair system on mine and love being able to adjust on the fly. When the road smooths out, let air out and vice versa.

2001 Ford Excursion Limited 4x4 7.3L,V/B Spring Mod, ProComps, Hellwig Swaybar, & other 'Necessities'
golfmedik is offline   Reply With Quote