Old 02-25-2016, 07:31 PM   #21
I was with a friend ~~ a GM employee about to retire at a GMC dealership. When we arrived they said they would get a 'truck salesman' for us. There were at least 150 - 200 new trucks on the lot. He was standing by the open drivers door when asked the payload. He had no clue or where to find it.

I had found the settings info on my last Ford. When purchased we had nothing to tow. When we bought the TT I had looked up the info as never had a OEM controller in the past. When I purchased the F250 the salesman had no clue. When the tech at CW installed the 5er hitch he said "now lets see where Ford has the controller set..." ~~ he knew! He set it at medium 5 and said to adjust from there.

We can all learn and must not always expect the experts to know.

Originally Posted by uhduh camping View Post
You know it worries me to know that so any people are towing with Super Duties that don't know how to set them up. I am not trying to put anyone down we all need help sometimes myself included. Its just that, how many others, who are driving the millions of Super Duties that are out there, who are not reading this thread are driving without proper braking settings!

I have worked for dealers, there is little to no way of knowing all the vehicle settings for every vehicle they sell. Yes, you can find the the answers to most any question customers have. But only after you read their owners manual for them. They don't have the time to do this for every customer and many would not do it if they had the time.
It was super annoying working in Mercedes Benz/ BMW service center because no one would read their manuals. These cars can do zillions of things most owners are clueless about.

Anyway glad the word is getting out there about this. And a big thanks to those who spend their time helping others on this forum.

CaptnJohn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 09:20 AM   #22
If you have not experienced that sway control coming on you have a surprise coming. I knowingly overloaded my utility trailer with gravel one morning about 2 miles from the house and at about 40 mph the tail started to wag that F-150. Whooppeeee! Luckily I was the only idiot on that one lane Kentucky back road. Slowed me down in a hurry, brought me back to reality.
Travel safe

2001 Ford F-350 Super Duty CC Dually, 7.3 Diesel
2013 832IKBS Flagstaff Classic Ultra Lite, Hensley Arrow Hitch, Carlisle tires
2016 days camped....211, it ain't over yet!
On the road to ALASKA May 6, home Sept. 13, 2016. 23 states, 3 Canadian Provinces, up to the Arctic Circle, 17,300 miles, 131 days on the road. 1 flat tire, 4 oil changes. What a beautiful trip!
FordHauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 09:43 AM   #23
The anti sway feature can be a little startling if you aren't prepared for it. I didn't even know I had the feature until driving in the DC area. Living not far from DC gives me the benefit of knowing the people around here are morons, but even that knowledge isn't always enough. While trying to make a lane change, signaling well in advance, I started to move toward the middle lane from the right lane, and then after already crossing the dotted lines, some bone head decided he needed to go to the middle lane from the left, and he certainly wasn't going to wait for me (he was too important and had to pass the guy camped in the left lane). Naturally I jerked the wheel back to the right, not hard, but as much as was needed to avoid the accident. The moron almost sideswiped the car in the left lane that he was passing, because he knew he had to squeeze in. It wasn't like it was incidental, he knew I was getting over, and rolled the dice that he could beat me. So my avoidance maneuver made my truck go into anti sway mode, and it was a little startling, similar to if you have never used anti lock brakes before. If you aren't expecting the sensations, and odd noises, it can be a problem. The truck did its job, accident avoided.

I have a 2015 F150 XLT, so I cant speak to the Lariat, but mine does not have the "Low/Medium/High" options. The options my truck has are "Electric/Surge/None" or "Electric Over Hydraulic (EOH)" as the brake options.

2015 Rockwood Mini Lite 2504S
2015 Ford F150 Ecoboost
Semperfi24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 10:31 AM   #24
Was just playing around with my settings on my new 350 and found them last night. Had no clue they had the three different levels. I had previously a 250 and I'm fairly certain it didn't have them but now I just don't know. Will have to play around to see which works for me with I get my trailer in.
Dwayne and Susan
Jiro and Phoebe-4 legged family members
Mike and Dana - Traveling buddies
2016 Ford F350 XLT 6.7 Powerstroke DRW 4X4
2016 Brookstone 395RL
dwayneb236 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 12:35 PM   #25
Originally Posted by CWSWine View Post
My Ford F350 in the DIC "Driver Information Center" if you scroll down to "Settings" then to "Driver Assist" there two settings for towing. The first one sets up "Trailer Braking" has three settings Light - Medium - High that affects trailer brakes and should be set to what you are towing. Mine was set to light and wouldn't lockup the trailer tires till I moved highest setting. Second one is "Trailer Sway Control" mine defaulted to off and set this the way you want it. Some people like on and other off so what floats your boat.

I'm not sure if all trucks have those settings but if does they need to be set.
You have the ability to adjust your gain at any time according to conditions.
Floyd & Carolyn
2012 F150 S/crew 4X4 6.2L 6Spd Tow Max Firestone airbags.
2011 28RKS Wildcat. Yamaha 3000iseb Generator.
2013 22 nights.2014 57 nights.2015 116 nights +14300KM
2016. 63 nights
Filterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 12:55 PM   #26
Originally Posted by Filterman View Post
You have the ability to adjust your gain at any time according to conditions.
There is two sets of settings on my fF350.

1. In my DIC I have settings for light - medium - high

2. On my trailer brake control I have settings 1-10

If I set my DiC to light and set my controller to 10 it won't lock up the wheels. If I set my DIC to high and my controller to 7 it will lock up my wheels.

Most trucks that have the DIC setting is set "LIGHT" as default which is the setting used for utility trailers and not for RVs. RVs require a setting of either medium or high in the DIC.

Yes, on say wet road you want to set your gain lower but I never change the settings in my DIC because of road conditions.

2017 Solitude 310GK-R Pick Up Oct 24th.
Sold 2016 Keystone Montana 3711FL
Sold - 2015 Crusader 315RST 5th Wheel -
Sold - 2014 Cougar SGS
Sold - 2013 Jay Flight TT
2015 Ford F350 SRW Cargo Capacity 3744
CWSWine is online now   Reply With Quote