Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-06-2018, 10:16 PM   #1

Setting up a toad (2014 Ford Fiesta) advice

I have a 2016 2401r Forester and am going to tow a 2014 Ford Fiesta. What do I need? Is it okay to buy used? How much can I do myself as I am trying to save money but don't have a lot in the way of tools?
PA Campers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 06:51 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA Campers View Post
I have a 2016 2401r Forester and am going to tow a 2014 Ford Fiesta. What do I need? Is it okay to buy used? How much can I do myself as I am trying to save money but don't have a lot in the way of tools?
Your best bet is to go to etrailer and it will give you the cost and parts needed, can you set it up? That's up to you, rough cost just to buy parts is about 3000.00, but that's to flat tow, or you can use a dolly.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 07:15 AM   #3

You can buy a lot of what you need on the used market. You still have to buy the tow plates new as removing them from a vehicle is almost never done. I have installed both of my own towplates and brake systems, you don't need a lot of tools but you do have to be relatively handy to install the plates on the car. Decent instructions, but holes have to be drilled, usually in the frame. You can save about 50% by buying a used towbar and brake system. As far as the brake system is concerned, the Fiesta has a curb weight under 3,000 pounds so in most states a separate brake system is not required.

Cheapest is a used tow dolly...no tow plates, just the dolly and some wiring and at less than 3,000 pounds, you should be fine.

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2014, ford, toad