Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-11-2016, 09:39 PM   #1

Setting up a Toad - Honda Odyssey

Ok...pick up motorhome next week and trading my big bad F250 diesel in, which means I need a vehicle to drive to work. Since im buying that, I figure I might as well get something that can be a toad for our new 364TS at the same time.

Im going the cheap route, but need to haul 6 people and have located a 2004 Honda Odyssey with 98k miles, one owner, very clean. If i were to get this, what all do i actually need to hook it up? It looks like i need a baseplate attachment for the vehicle, as well as a tow bar?

Is there a kit somewhere that has it all? Do i need some sort of brake system for it? Found some instructions from Honda that say make sure to go from drive to neutral, let it run a few minutes, turn to accessory and take off....

All guidance is appreciated....not looking forward to rolling a minivan to work...
JLud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 10:19 PM   #2
AWS

Setting up a toad - Honda Odyssey

We have a 2012 Georgetown 360 with a 2003 Honda Odyssey toad. Be aware this is toward the top limit of the 5000 lb hitch, but we have pulled this all over the Rockies and west coast with no issues.

In addition to the baseplate, you will need an electrical connector installed on the toad. You will then need the following:
Tow bar - we use Blue Ox but there are others.
Tow Bar Electric Hook-up Cable - to hook-up brake lights and turn signals from motor home to toad.
Safety Cables -
Brake device - we use Brake Buddy but there are others.

You can purchase these items from many RV supply houses. We like PPL and tweetys on line but there are many others.

Good luck, enjoy your new motorhome!
AWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 10:29 PM   #3

Thank you very much, estimated cost for all of this? assume an RV dealer will get some sort of set up? The other vehicle I am looking at is a Suzuki XL 7, but same story im sure..i think a bit lighter.
JLud is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toad