Old 10-04-2010, 12:40 PM   #11
Infractee

You may want to check your install manual on that or watch the install video. I seem to remember that when properly set up the ball will slope down to the rear somewhat?

Old 10-04-2010, 12:47 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

If the Equalizer is anything like a Reese hitch, then having the ball mount platform level is not the objective. The objective is to have the proper weight distributed back to the front of the tow vehicle, and that is obtained by tilting the ball mount either forward or backward. I have to tilt my Reese back pretty far to get the correct weight distributed.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Hitch Setup.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	41.1 KB
ID:	3594

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 01:01 PM   #13

Okay, yeah I have read a little more into it (on this forum) and can see that now, install manual, as well as the video don't really cover this enough.
Old 10-04-2010, 03:14 PM   #14
Infractee

See pics 2a and 2b for initial setup angles, shown with 5 washers

http://www.equalizerhitch.com/pdf/eq...small_0610.pdf
Old 10-04-2010, 09:31 PM   #15
Albuquerque, NM

Lance, the amount of washers needed will vary by many factors - height of hitch ball vs. trailer tongue height, tongue weight & trailer weight, etc. As the instructions state, start with four washers. If the weight distribution isn't just right, I suggest adding a washer or two before raising the L-brackets up. The number of washers isn't related to "keeping the ball level." Rather, this is related to the weight distribution. As mtnguy says, having the hitch ball level is not the objective.

I am running my setup with 7 washers at present, so with no trailer attached the ball is at a very odd angle. However, with everything hitched up, the sway bars are parallel to the frame, which is what the instructions recommend you shoot for & my weight distribution is where I want it to be. This didn't surprise me much, as our 2304 has 200 more pounds of hitch weight than our prior 2104, for which I used 4 washers.

Basically, if the weight distribution is not where you want it to be with four washers, before raising the L-Brackets up a notch to make the weight distribution adjustment, add a washer or two first and then check the difference in the weight distribution. Don't worry about the angle of the ball, it will settle into place with the trailer on it and the sway bars hooked up.

Charlie
2013 Dodge Ram Laramie 4x4
Char_n_Kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 10:28 AM   #16

Thanks Charlie and RhoZeta, the pdf files show alot more info than the manual sent with the hitch, in fact my manual says nothing about the self-tapping bolt for the l-brackets. I am going to readjust this afternoon, I currently have 3 washers, and my bars are parallel. My truck is an 05 Nissan Titan 4x4 with wheel wells measured at 38" unloaded. Will update with some pics later.
Thanks again.
Old 10-05-2010, 12:14 PM   #17

Lanceonthelake,

You should also get a set of plastic pads that go on the L-brackets. The dealer should have them. Equilizers are really loud & noisy, especially when turning at low speeds. The pads keep things a lot quieter. They don't completely stop the noise but make it manageable. The first couple of times I used mine at low speed maneuvering I jumped out to see what I had broken. It was just the bars rubbing on the L brackets.

2008 Chevy Silverado 2500 Duramax Crewcab
Jeep Commander - sold
Flagstaff V-Lite WRB26
kz08h5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 01:18 PM   #18
Albuquerque, NM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kz08h5 View Post
Lanceonthelake,

You should also get a set of plastic pads that go on the L-brackets. The dealer should have them. Equilizers are really loud & noisy, especially when turning at low speeds. The pads keep things a lot quieter. They don't completely stop the noise but make it manageable. The first couple of times I used mine at low speed maneuvering I jumped out to see what I had broken. It was just the bars rubbing on the L brackets.

Absolutely great advice. I didn't have these on my first unit & now do. They do make a noticeable difference.

Charlie
2013 Dodge Ram Laramie 4x4
Char_n_Kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 07:26 PM   #19

Just a note on the angle of the bars - the manufacturer level or higher than level but not lower than level.
Old 10-07-2010, 08:12 PM   #20
Infractee

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanceonthelake View Post
Thanks Charlie and RhoZeta, the pdf files show alot more info than the manual sent with the hitch, in fact my manual says nothing about the self-tapping bolt for the l-brackets. I am going to readjust this afternoon, I currently have 3 washers, and my bars are parallel. My truck is an 05 Nissan Titan 4x4 with wheel wells measured at 38" unloaded. Will update with some pics later.
Thanks again.
FYI, double check the requirements on the self tapping screws on the L brackets, those are only for certain type coupler or a V nose trailer (Fig 7 on page 13) If you do have a Style B coupler or a V-nose that would block the brackets then you do mount the L brackets upside down and use the self tapping screw, if not then you do not use the self tapping screw.

Tags
equalizer