Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 12-07-2015, 01:39 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny kustom View Post
It wasn't the choice of where to put them. Because of the frame change, you had to put them in a certain position.

Don't think 2500 lbs is going to squat it?

2016 Sabre 36QBOK
2015 Ram 3500 CUMMINS
That is another untrue statement, a 2004 has a straight frame and a 2007 frame is curved inward. Impossible to mount the 90 degree brackets on a curved frame. If you check the the custom mounts you will see a universal curved frame to bolt on. It is weak and best to move it slightly forward. Tows the exact same. I also doubt if it transfer any load to the front axle. I will re weight it at a cat scale and compare but I really doubt it. It's not a RAM....

Old 12-07-2015, 03:23 PM   #22

Quote:
So the op rig is 11700 dry and you are good with the 3/4 ton.

But as soon as you add another 2300lb, you say 1T drw?? ��

2016 Sabre 36QBOK
2015 Ram 3500 CUMMINS
"Remember were not talking weight were talking LOCATION"
#1-18' Nomad #2- 20' Mallard #3- 27' Sunline #4- Four Winds C #5- Innsbruck 40' PARK # 6- 28' Amerilite #7- Forest River 26.5 FW ( 1st FW)
Old 12-07-2015, 03:38 PM   #23

Quote:
It wasn't the choice of where to put them. Because of the frame change, you had to put them in a certain position.

Don't think 2500 lbs is going to squat it?

2016 Sabre 36QBOK
2015 Ram 3500 CUMMINS
That is so untrue, I could have used the universal that would have put it directly above the axle, but 2" forward is no big deal on a Ford.....

Old 12-07-2015, 04:32 PM   #24

Send a message via MSN to Tiggerdad
Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
That is not true at all. I just had my rails installed on a 2007 f-250, because of the frame change they had to move it a little forward of the axle, my 2004 it was installed over the axle. Impossible to do with the change. Tows just fine. A 250 will tow the same as a 350 if you squat add air bags, but I don't even think that will happen. BUILT FORD TOUGH. It's not a RAM....
I don't normally get into these conversations but your suggestion of air bags will certainly help with the squat.

Side note: Air bags will not increase the load capacity of of a truck

2013 Crusader 330 MKS
2013 Chevrolet Silverado LT 2500 D/A
Old 12-07-2015, 04:52 PM   #25

My answer is 4 " ahead of the rear axel centerline.This allows for a small percentage of the pin wieght to be transferred to the steer axel. Between my bil and myself,we have owned/installed quite a few hitch setups in the last 35 yrs,and the best tow,hands down no matter what the dealer or salesman tells you (who have probably never installed a hitch anyway) is 3 - 4 inches ahead of the axel centerline. This goes for goosenecks or 5th wheels.
Old 12-07-2015, 05:12 PM   #26

If you have universal brackets you can put them anywhere you want, I would go 1.5 to three inches in front of axle, if you have custom brackets you have to put them in certain spots where holes are already drilled hence the wording "no drilling required" if it's the underbed system I believe it is a custom mount kit, no other options

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 12-07-2015, 05:47 PM   #27

I think I was trying to answer the OP's question being we have the same TV. I guess it depends on his hitch, mine is a Husky 16 K slider. Husky makes about 4 different brackets for the frame. When I changed trucks I had to move it forward no difference in towing, like I said I might have moved some weight to the front axle, but that surly will not hurt anything. My pin weight is 1675, don't know what the OP's is? but he will be fine. When a 1/2 ton can pull my same weight I'm sure his 250 can pull that trailer safely. I'm not the weight police but I wouldn't worry about the weight either.

Old 12-07-2015, 08:02 PM   #28
Whatever

Quote:
Originally Posted by riversedge View Post
Not going to get into a discussion on truck vs trailer, however you can find the installation instructions for your vehicle at https://www.curtmfg.com/masterlibrar..._16100_INS.PDF I believe your ford is page 11.
Thank you! I missed page 11 when I first found this document. This helps, thanks!
Old 12-07-2015, 08:05 PM   #29
Whatever

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
Peter,

My hitch is installed with the pin directly over the axle.
For my hitch/rails, that position evenly locates the pin weight dead center on the springs that ultimately carry that weight.

I always use my trucks for hauling a lot of other things besides towing my 5th wheel. In my experience when carrying other heavy loads, (pallets of heavy material) in the truck bed, I don't believe 1.5" ahead of the axle will have much bearing on the suspension characteristics and probably not 3" either.

I've toyed around moving a pallet forward and back of the axle by small amounts with little difference in handling. Now certainly if you move that weight clear to the front or clear to the back of the bed that is another story but that's not what we are talking here.

I think the clear advantage to the pin directly over the axle is, it gives you the maximum spacing between the cab and front of the 5th wheel for turning. With that said, I bought a slider hitch but have never slid it with any of my 6.5 beds. Never got in a tight enough spot in 10 years to do so. (3 different trucks/2 different 5th wheels)

Also, I have Timbrens on mine. Unless you go with an on-board compressor system for air bags, you spend more time adding or removing air for my liking.

EDIT:
I should also add...
I've never driven a truck/5th wheel with the pin 1.5" or 3" ahead of the axle so I can't attest to the driving/handling. I will say mine tows straight as an arrow and if moving the pin forward would make mine handle better... that would really be doing something because mine has always handled like a dream.
Thank you! This is exactly what I was looking for. I haul very little else besides our trailer, and I'm used to a semi truck adjustable fifth wheel. So I want to get this right the first time. Thanks!
Old 12-07-2015, 08:16 PM   #30
Whatever

Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
I think I was trying to answer the OP's question being we have the same TV. I guess it depends on his hitch, mine is a Husky 16 K slider. Husky makes about 4 different brackets for the frame. When I changed trucks I had to move it forward no difference in towing, like I said I might have moved some weight to the front axle, but that surly will not hurt anything. My pin weight is 1675, don't know what the OP's is? but he will be fine. When a 1/2 ton can pull my same weight I'm sure his 250 can pull that trailer safely. I'm not the weight police but I wouldn't worry about the weight either.
Thank you! This is very helpful!
Old 12-07-2015, 08:21 PM   #31
Whatever

Thank you too all who contributed with their experiences! It is very helpful!
Old 12-07-2015, 08:27 PM   #32

Setting Up Ford To Tow Fifth Wheel

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1449537980.928671.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	96.9 KB
ID:	95745

Bd3 in an 08 f350 CCSB.
With the slider. Only ever used the slider once, and probably didn't even need to.

I used the no drill brackets, and the instructions from the rails themselves. My instructions didn't give me any front to back options.

2016 Sabre 36QBOK
2015 Ram 3500 CUMMINS

I AM NOT THE WEIGHT POLICE...
Old 12-08-2015, 09:39 PM   #33
Site Team

this thread has ran its course and is now closed

Zelda the campin dog
Closed Thread

Tags
fifth wheel, ford, wheel