Old 06-17-2011, 01:06 PM   #1

Should I add helper springs?

I am towing a Flagstaff Classic Light 829FKSS with a 2010 Ford F-150 Automatic 2X2 with an Equalizer WD hitch. I've checked all of the figures and I am well within my limits. This setup tows and handles fine however I do see the back of my pickup pulled down by the trailer. I've thought of adding helper springs. Would this help at all or will this do no good. I've also thought of maybe adding bigger shocks. Or should I just ignor it. I've had the hitch adjusted and supposedly it is tuned perfectly. If anyone has any experience yea or nah, please email me at Chillbilly@charter.net as I get few chances to browse here on the forum.

Old 06-17-2011, 01:52 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chillbilly View Post
I am towing a Flagstaff Classic Light 829FKSS with a 2010 Ford F-150 Automatic 2X2 with an Equalizer WD hitch. I've checked all of the figures and I am well within my limits. This setup tows and handles fine however I do see the back of my pickup pulled down by the trailer. I've thought of adding helper springs. Would this help at all or will this do no good. I've also thought of maybe adding bigger shocks. Or should I just ignor it. I've had the hitch adjusted and supposedly it is tuned perfectly. If anyone has any experience yea or nah, please email me at Chillbilly@charter.net as I get few chances to browse here on the forum.
In my humble opinion, there are several options here, non of which include adding helper springs or bigger shocks.

Get a 2nd opinion on the hitch setup. Start by making sure you have the correct spring bar weight. That trailer has a dry hitch weight of over 900 lbs., probably well over a 1000 lbs. ready to camp. You should probably be using 1200 lb. spring bars for your application. If the people that adjusted the hitch and deemed it tuned perfectly didn't do fender measurements, or take you rig across a scale both with and without the trailer , then there is no way to determine if you are getting the correct weight distributing. Just looking at it and saying "that looks about right" just doesn't cut it.

You can do the fender measurements or do the scale thing yourself to be sure the setup is correct.

If the hitch is confirmed to be set correctly, and the truck is still sagging noticeably in the rear, then it might be time for a 3/4 ton truck. Installing helper springs or stiffer shocks does nothing to increase the rear gross axle weight rating.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote