Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-09-2012, 01:55 PM   #1

Should I get a transmission cooler?

Hi. Almost newbie here. I just bought a 1999 F-150 with the 4.2L V-6 and auto transmission (with only 19K miles!). The tow rating is 4600 pounds. I will tow a trailer not more than 3000 pounds.

The truck does not have the tow package factory installed.

I had planned to install a transmission cooler but notice that the truck manual says nothing about that. Wonder if I really need one? It would cost me about $200 installed.

Do you smart people think I should get one? Thanks in advance for any advice.
richdonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 02:09 PM   #2

Short answer...

Most definitely.

John
foxhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 02:13 PM   #3
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Yes yes yes yes
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 02:20 PM   #4
Site Team - Lou

AT the risk of piling on.

Yes and get a trans temperature gauge while you are getting it installed.
You will need it.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 02:42 PM   #5

Never heard of a transmission burning up from being kept to cool
Nights camped in 2014 = 19
(2013 = 36)
(2012 = 42)
JFM-jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 02:45 PM   #6

OK I'm convinced! I thought I should get one but wondered if y'all would say I don't need it. Thanks again.
Old 04-09-2012, 07:08 PM   #7

Go tell your F-150...I am sure it will really appreciate your decision.
'07 GMC Sierra 2500HD Diesel 4x4
Why I got into RVing & More Fun
ng2951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 07:53 PM   #8

With a v6 and auto, it will probably be doing a lot of downshifting. Put the biggest trans cooler that you can afford and physically fit in there! An extra deep aluminum finned pan wouldnt hurt a bit either and neither would going to a full synthetic quality fluid.
As said above (kind of), you cannot get too much extra cooling! However, being too cool can harm it, but adding extra capacity wont make it too cool.
edman87k5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 09:21 AM   #9

I have a 2000 e150 and am also looking to have a transmission cooler installed. What I wonder is if I should get the one from the dealer or if I should attempt to locate an aftermarket unit.

Anyone have any thoughts?
skylinedrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 10:11 AM   #10

richdonn: Good score on your truck. We have a 2000 F-150 with the same engine as you. I originally wanted a V6 for better fuel economy and it was really hard to find around here along with an auto tranny. Wasn't into RVing back in 2003 when I was looking for something to haul stuff for our small farm. We just got 10.8 mpg on the freeway towing our trailer. I hear many get 8-9 mpg so maybe the V6 is a good thing for smaller trailers.... Have been extremely happy with the truck over the years. Very reliable.

Despite some of the comments out there on V6 vs V8 engines, I have to say that we love the V6. Having just done our first "long distance" trip with our 4,000 lb TT of about 50 miles (woohoo!), we found the engine has plenty of power. No problems up steeper inclines whatsoever. I see no reasons to upgrade to something with a V8 unless we wanted a larger trailer. Our F150 is rated to tow 5,500 lbs so we limited our TT purchase to 4,000 lbs. I guess we have a different final drive ratio. I got our rating from the Ford dealer where we bought it.

We had a transmission cooler installed along with the hitch and brake controller. Wouldn't dream of towing a travel trailer without a cooler. Unless you know that the tranny oil has just been changed, I would freshen that up (along with all the other fluids), but maybe you have done this by now.
myredracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 11:32 AM   #11

Thanks redracer. That's encouraging. We're replacing a 2001 Rodeo, which had a lot of miles on it and we were concerned about availability of parts (shouldn't be a problem with the Ford). The Ford has the same HP but at 4750 vs 5400 rpm, and 16% more torque at 3000 rpm. Along with the longer wheelbase, it should tow better than the Rodeo. We got 11 mpg with the Rodeo in the Virginia mountains, but it was workin' pretty hard.
Does yours downshift a lot on hills? Wonder if the transmission is the same as is used with the V8's?
We had liked a 24ft trailer at the shows, but bought this one as it popped up as a good deal, and we thought it better to see if we would really use it. Turns out we won't likely get a larger one as this is easy to pull and maneuver. Not much room to hang out inside but otherwise has everything. Maybe if we start traveling for months we might get a bigger one, but that would mean a bigger tow vehicle ($$$) too. I'm likely too cheap for that.
I got a cooler installed and get the brake controller tomorrow. Got a set of new Michelin tires ordered (the old ones' tread looked nearly new but they were dry-rotted). First trip in a couple of weeks!!
Old 04-12-2012, 01:25 PM   #12

richdonn, I think you'll find your new truck is great. Ours doesn't seem to downshift easily when I hit a hill or want to accelerate. I have to really punch the throttle to get it to shift. That's when it seems like it's just a whole lot easier to flip it out of overdrive. I suppose a person could pick up a used differential at a wrecking yard with a lower ratio (higher number) if you wanted to increase the towing capacity? I think the F150s of that era had two ratios.

I guess if your truck has low mileage, there may not be too many things to worry about but I suppose it may depend on if it's been sitting a lot between usage and if it's been maintained. If it were me, I'd want to look at things that may deteriorate over time like rubber hoses and fittings. Vehicles generally don't like sitting for long periods of time. I've been fiddiling with vintage cars for years but don't know a lot about trucks and specifically what to look for in trucks.

I just installed a new set of Bilstein shocks (myself). Only a few more dollars than others like Monroe. The truck now handles like it's on rails, but I found the original front shocks were shot and rears were only about 50% effective so anything new is going to feel great. Have been wondering about shocks for the trailer, but looking in the mirror, the trailer doesn't seem to bounce that much.

Check out this info. just posted in another thread on FR site: Ford AOD transmission - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia It says all F-series 93-2003 use the same transmission except for a mod. on trucks with a 5.L V8. I was just asking yesterday about using overdrive or not. You might want to look at the replies, if you haven't yet. Very helpful.

We're still running on the original tires and they still *look* good and have lots of tread left, but we're planning to replace them in July when in Oregon where there's no sales tax. We bought a set there last year for our car and they were 1/2 the cost of anywhere near us.

Sounds like you are in the same boat as us. We are now empty nesters now and don't need a monster trailer with all the amenities. Our 20 footer will sleep 4 but I think the extra 2 spots at the dinette are made for small kids only. Isn't the whole idea about going camping is to spend time outdoors anyway? Maybe if we wanted to hang out long term somewhere we'd want a sofa and a slideout or two, but we are very happy with our trailer, especially with all the interior mods and upgrades I did over the winter. No lack of storage now. Any visiting kids (now adult) have said they'd rather sleep in a tent outside anyway....

I have it figured that we could upgrade to say a 26-28 foot ultralite and still be able to tow it with our truck. I like the idea of a trailer on the smaller side because in the long run we want to do some long distance travelling around the US. A smaller trailer makes for much easier manouvering and finding spots to park. We're not terribly excited about the concept of buying a monster trailer or 5th wheel, being forced into buying a bigger truck and spending in the order of $50K to $100K to get it all. (Am married to an accountant and the most important thing in life is NOT spending money.)

I'm also a newbie to towing an RV. 3 times out now - whoa. About the only thing I have noticed that I don't like, and I am guessing that it is normal, is that when semi trucks and other large vehicles pass, the truck has a slightly uncomfortable sway to it from the wind. The truck does stay dead level with the new shocks though.
myredracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 08:52 PM   #13
Site Team

there's a misconception that v-6 trucks will get better gas mileage than v-8 trucks. that may have been true 20 years ago, but the new v-8 trucks get almost the same mpg as the v-6 ones. except the Ecoboost.

the GM 5.3 trucks get almost the same mpg as the Tacoma, Frontier and Ridgeline.
i found this out when i was shopping. we almost bought a Ridgeline, until i found that the Avalanche got only 1 mpg less than the Ridgeline.
and it towed 2200lbs. more, can seat 6 adults and has way more interior room and bigger bed.

do some comparisons on mpg between the v-6 trucks vs. the v-8 1/2 ton trucks.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 03:29 PM   #14

Thanks for all the advice. I don't have a tach in my 'new' truck, so I'd like to add one. I wonder if the wiring harness has a connection for the tach signal under the dash? I've seen tach housings online that attach to the left windshield pillar and look nice. Not sure where to get one or how to hook it up (yet).
Old 04-13-2012, 08:44 PM   #15

ScanGauge. It does it all and plugs into the cab diagnostic port.
'07 GMC Sierra 2500HD Diesel 4x4
Why I got into RVing & More Fun
ng2951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 09:56 PM   #16

That ScanGauge is pretty slick. But I'd like an analog dial gauge.
Old 04-18-2012, 12:22 PM   #17

Can anyone suggest a cooler? Having trouble finding one for my 2007 f-150 4.2.
AndyW11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 12:25 PM   #18

B&M 70264 - B&M SuperCooler Oil Coolers - Overview - SummitRacing.com

John

John
foxhead is offline   Reply With Quote