Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-15-2014, 12:54 PM   #1

Should Revolution pin box still swing at the hitch?

Even though the dealer activated the Revolution, and seem to have used a custom wedge for my Curt E16 hitch (because the double-ended universal wedge is still in its original location) the pin box still seems to swing a few degrees either side of center.

When turning, after it swings a few degrees at the hitch, the rest of the swing occurs where its supposed to. Depending on the corner I last took, when I return to straight pulling I see a bit of either the left or right side of the pin box in the rear view mirror. Since its so stiff, it doesn't straighten out on its own.

Self restraint is for the young. I'm old and want it NOW!
DaveSchwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 01:20 PM   #2
Mod free 5er

You have a problem! Either it is the wrong wedge or it is not tight against the back of the pin. You should back into it, latch and then drive the wedge in solid against the pin and the sides of the hitch chute. Tighten the rear bolt to 130lb/ft, unlatch, drive forward and tighten the other bolt likewise. IF you have a slot for the bolts, find a bolt or pc of steel to fill the slot in front of the bolt to keep the wedge from moving. You can silicone or weld the filler to the wedge. YOU DO NOT WANT AN UNFILLED SLOT on the wedge on either the front or behind the bolts.
Old 08-15-2014, 01:30 PM   #3

Something to think about OC. What damaging dynamics come into play if, in fact, you purposely allowed the reese revolution to pivot completely at both points. I thought about this and was going to give it a try. What do you think.
2019 FR Vibe 28RL
Rugged Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 01:33 PM   #4
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugged Brown View Post
Something to thing about OC. What damaging dynamics come into play if, in fact, you purposely allowed the reese revolution to pivot completely at both points. I thought about this and was going to give it a try. What do you think.
I hope you have good insurance and access to a tow truck because you're going to need both!
Old 08-15-2014, 01:34 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
I hope you have good insurance and access to a tow truck because you're going to need both!
What do you think would happen?
2019 FR Vibe 28RL
Old 08-15-2014, 01:35 PM   #6
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Technically couldn't it rotate around towards the front of the truck? Or at least till the camper hits the back of the truck?

TURBS

"SABRE OWNERS UNITED"
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 01:36 PM   #7
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugged Brown View Post
What do you think would happen?
I think "I hope you have good insurance and access to a tow truck because you're going to need both!" pretty well explains it.
Old 08-15-2014, 01:41 PM   #8

Quote:
I think "I hope you have good insurance and access to a tow truck because you're going to need both!" pretty well explains it.
Not really..
2019 FR Vibe 28RL
Old 08-15-2014, 01:42 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
Technically couldn't it rotate around towards the front of the truck? Or at least till the camper hits the back of the truck?

TURBS

"SABRE OWNERS UNITED"
I could see that happening.. that's the kind of response I was looking for.

Thanks

Sorry to have hijacked your thread
2019 FR Vibe 28RL
Old 08-15-2014, 03:41 PM   #10

Under braking, were you are not perfectly in-line, the pressure would cause the pin box to completely reverse. The trailer would try to get 3 feet farther forward, the overhang would smack the cab and the front of the basement would hit the pickup box.

Probably wouldn't happen to me because the wedge can't slide back far enough to allow that to happen and the bolts are properly torqued.

It was a bit more pronounced on the first trip and on return I found that the back bolt wasn't torqued enough. I tightened it to 150 but was surprised on the second trip that it wasn't completely gone.

Where the trailer parked now is not a good place to do this. Its a slight downslope and the TV is few degrees driver's side high when hitching. It works that way but is not the ideal environment for making that adjustment. Next trip is in about 5 weeks and I'll make sure to do that when I've tugged 'er out to the flatter part of the driveway when getting ready to go.

Self restraint is for the young. I'm old and want it NOW!
DaveSchwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 04:14 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveSchwartz View Post
Even though the dealer activated the Revolution, and seem to have used a custom wedge for my Curt E16 hitch (because the double-ended universal wedge is still in its original location) the pin box still seems to swing a few degrees either side of center.

When turning, after it swings a few degrees at the hitch, the rest of the swing occurs where its supposed to. Depending on the corner I last took, when I return to straight pulling I see a bit of either the left or right side of the pin box in the rear view mirror. Since its so stiff, it doesn't straighten out on its own.
I always think that I'm 100% straight when I unhook but I'm seeing maybe a 1/8 to 1/4" off from being lined up center. Not really worried my pin is tight and torqued to specs. I just think it's me and I'm not 100% lined up when I unhook. Don't worry about it, if your wedge is between them jaws you are okay. You are locked in. You might have that much slope in the wedge itself, but it's not coming out. Got about 20,000 miles towing that way......

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 04:34 PM   #12
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveSchwartz View Post
Under braking, were you are not perfectly in-line, the pressure would cause the pin box to completely reverse. The trailer would try to get 3 feet farther forward, the overhang would smack the cab and the front of the basement would hit the pickup box...
44" to be exact. I really thought Rugged was joking with his post.
Old 08-15-2014, 05:49 PM   #13

That can not even happen unless your wedge fell off completely. Most wedges come with a 1 1/2" Slot. it will travel no farther where do people come up with this junk? Even if the bolts were not torque to speck and both didn't fall out that is just impossible. Even if both bolts fell out your hitch can not move 44" forward. The worst that can happen is that you would lose control of the trailer sideways or jack knife at the worst, just like not having the 2 3/4" bolts in. the pin will hold it back it WILL NOT MOVE FORWARD. And also Turbs is right it might try to jack knife. Your breaks will try and keep it inline that's just impossible. OC you know that unless CRS hit again.

Old 08-15-2014, 07:15 PM   #14
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
That can not even happen unless your wedge fell off completely. Most wedges come with a 1 1/2" Slot. it will travel no farther where do people come up with this junk? Even if the bolts were not torque to speck and both didn't fall out that is just impossible. Even if both bolts fell out your hitch can not move 44" forward. The worst that can happen is that you would lose control of the trailer sideways or jack knife at the worst, just like not having the 2 3/4" bolts in. the pin will hold it back it WILL NOT MOVE FORWARD. And also Turbs is right it might try to jack knife. Your breaks will try and keep it inline that's just impossible. OC you know that unless CRS hit again.
#1. Rugged Brown was asking about removing the wedge.
#2. The 2 bolts are 5/8", not 3/4."
#3. The trailer can and will move 44" forward relative to the hitch as the trailer pivots 22" behind the pin and could very well pivot 22" in front of the pin as well.

Think again you old goat!
Old 08-16-2014, 05:53 AM   #15

Quote:
#1. Rugged Brown was asking about removing the wedge.
#2. The 2 bolts are 5/8", not 3/4."
#3. The trailer can and will move 44" forward relative to the hitch as the trailer pivots 22" behind the pin and could very well pivot 22" in front of the pin as well.

Think again you old goat!
I'm talking about the head of the bolt it's 3/4", You need a 3/4" wrench. Your still talking about jack knifing to make that happen.

Old 08-16-2014, 06:04 AM   #16
Mod free 5er

Quote:
I'm talking about the head of the bolt it's 3/4", You need a 3/4" wrench. Your still talking about jack knifing to make that happen.
You're still wrong, they are 5/8" bolts with a 7/8" head.

Not talking about jackknifing, just going down a hill with a curve and you touch the brakes, the pinbox will pivot around the hitch and the trailer will move forward the 44", in fact, you wouldn't even have to touch the brakes if the trailer started to push the truck.
Old 08-16-2014, 02:01 PM   #17

Oldcoot is correct. We are not talking about the wedge just moving, we are talking about not having a wedge. So now you have two points that can swivel. If the hitch swivels at the reese and the pin, it could if you had room move so the hitch is pointing back words. But it would hit the truck first.

Current: 2019 Sunseeker 2290S
Previous (2012-2016): 2012 Vibe 6501
1 Prospector Canoe, 2 Mtn. Bikes & 4 Hiking Boots
Happy Vibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 04:26 PM   #18
Mod free 5er

[Moderator edit - quote removed due to post deleted]

Why even use a wedge if what you say is true?

If the pin box is free to swivel 360 degrees, without a wedge on the pin box, it sure will regardless of what you say. Only the cab of the truck would stop it. Use your own trailer, don't want to wreck my trailer or truck. You've been drinking your bathwater again.
Old 08-16-2014, 05:44 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Vibe View Post
Oldcoot is correct. We are not talking about the wedge just moving, we are talking about not having a wedge. So now you have two points that can swivel. If the hitch swivels at the reese and the pin, it could if you had room move so the hitch is pointing back words. But it would hit the truck first.
I understand, but the trailer would hit the rear of the truck first it can only swing 22" You do not double the movement to 44" that is pure Junk. I don't give a crap what that old man say's it is impossible for it to swing 44" one way. Either it's going left or right can't do it at the same time moving forward. I'm talking about during towing. Yes you can damage your rear end but it will not make your trailer swing around 44" as he stated . IMPOSSIBLE. From the center of the pin box to the edge of the cap is 48" how will you swing your trailer around?

Old 08-16-2014, 06:01 PM   #20
Mod free 5er

Quote:
I understand, but the trailer would hit the rear of the truck first it can only swing 22" You do not double the movement to 44" that is pure Junk. I don't give a crap what that old man say's it is impossible for it to swing 44" one way. Either it's going left or right can't do it at the same time moving forward. I'm talking about during towing. Yes you can damage your rear end but it will not make your trailer swing around 44" as he stated . IMPOSSIBLE. From the center of the pin box to the edge of the cap is 48" how will you swing your trailer around?
The same way a tractor/trailer rig jackknifes. The corner of the trailer hitting the door of the truck is the only thing that will stop the pinbox from swiveling to the 22" forward position. IF, you're so confident it won't hurt anything, take your wedge off completely and try towing which is what Rugged Brown suggested.

Tags
hitch