Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-24-2017, 10:04 PM   #61

So far on my trip to Alaska I'm getting 10.2 mpg.
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 09:56 AM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by 325BH View Post
I always wondered how accurate the mileage meters are in these trucks. I have a hard time believing a 3/4 ton tuck with a V8 gasser is getting 19 MPG. If you are that is awesome, but something doesn't sound right. I will admit I know nothing about the Dodge 6.4, other than my friend has one in his 2015 2500. He always acts like his mileage is inline with mine.
I don't trust the EVIC. In my experience it's higher than my hand calculated mileage by 2 to 3 miles per gallon. I use the hand calculated number but I think reality is probably somewhere in between.

Hand calculating isn't an exact science either, because it's near impossible to fill to the same level. I fill till pump shuts off, wait 30 seconds, then fill till it shuts off again and call it good.

2017 Heritage Glen 368RLHBK Limited
2017 Ram 3500 4x4 Crew, 6.7 Cummins
m35a2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 11:44 AM   #63

There's a reason why Ford's Super Duty outsells its Chevrolet, GMC and Ram competitors --

COMBINED!!

By a good margin, too
The Big Toe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 12:04 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Toe View Post
There's a reason why Ford's Super Duty outsells its Chevrolet, GMC and Ram competitors --

COMBINED!!

By a good margin, too
LOL you trying to start a holy war?

I'll counter with "There's a reason my latest truck is a Dodge after the three previous trucks were all Ford."

I don't have any brand loyalty. I buy what serves my need at the best price. I almost went with a Duramax. I'll admit Fords are prettier though. That's a slippery slope.

First it's pretty trucks, then it's pretty guns. next thing you know you're shaving your beard and wearing Capri pants.

Old 05-25-2017, 12:15 PM   #65

Send a message via MSN to GreenImp
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Toe View Post

COMBINED!!

By a good margin, too

Not sure where you got your information, but it's simply not accurate.

Below is a quote from an article recapping last years (2016) light truck sales....

Quote:
Pickup truck sales grew by 5.9 percent compared with the prior year to almost 2.7 million vehicles.

General Motors Co. sold the most. Between its Chevrolet and GMC brands, the automaker sold almost 943,000 full- and mid-size trucks.

But Ford had the top-selling pickup truck – and vehicle of any type. Ford Motor Co. sold 821,000 F-Series pickups. It was the 40th consecutive year that the pickup topped the truck market.

Fiat Chrysler Automobiles’ Ram brand was a distant third, selling just over 489,000 pickups, an 8.7 percent gain. That was the fastest growth among the major truck brands.
Ford did sell more than any other "brand", but not more than any other "manufacturer" (Ford vs GM vs Chrysler), but far from "Chevrolet, GMC and Ram competitors --COMBINED!! By a good margin, too"
Dad's old 1968 Empi Imp (recently recovered from under 21 years worth of boxes/dust)
GreenImp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 08:05 PM   #66

Well I'm a far piece from home and Silverado has not been good. First check engine light came on in Montana and then light came on outside of Tok AK and said poor def fluid. I had not put any def fluid in for over 2,000 miles. Everything finally went off and now I'm in Fairbanks AK, I'm not planning on going to the GM dealership up here. I put more def fluid in, so I'm hoping for the best. I wonder how far I could travel before the truck goes into limp mode. I'm thinking new truck when I get home, new dually
Old 05-29-2017, 08:19 PM   #67

Fix your truck. If two lights coming on make you trade trucks, you're a lucky man! You'll have a new truck, different brand each time, about every 5 months.

Don't get a Fiat. Italy has enough money. But if you do, PLEASE get the real expensive option that no one seems to be able to afford...........a muffler!

And they all use DEF fluid.

P.S.
Will the truck not start and run without the glow plug?????

P.S.S.
I love Truck Wars.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 10:02 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock123 View Post
Well I'm a far piece from home and Silverado has not been good. First check engine light came on in Montana and then light came on outside of Tok AK and said poor def fluid. I had not put any def fluid in for over 2,000 miles. Everything finally went off and now I'm in Fairbanks AK, I'm not planning on going to the GM dealership up here. I put more def fluid in, so I'm hoping for the best. I wonder how far I could travel before the truck goes into limp mode. I'm thinking new truck when I get home, new dually
The 2011 and 2012 duramaxes have known issues with the NoX sensors in the DEF system giving trouble. This gives the "Poor DEF Quality" message. GM realized the problem and updated the parts. At some point take it to the dealer and have them fix the problem. They will use the updated parts and you shouldn't have any more troubles.

Demco 18k Autoslide
2012 Puma Unleashed 356QLB toy hauler
Toys - CRF250X, CRF250R, CRF450R, TTR230, TRX250EX, STX-1500 jet ski
rmoore0852 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 10:25 PM   #69

This is good, have we made it to page 200?
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 10:55 PM   #70

Send a message via MSN to GreenImp
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmoore0852 View Post
The 2011 and 2012 duramaxes have known issues with the NoX sensors in the DEF system giving trouble. This gives the "Poor DEF Quality" message. GM realized the problem and updated the parts. At some point take it to the dealer and have them fix the problem. They will use the updated parts and you shouldn't have any more troubles.
Now why you have to go and tell him that...car dealers have to make a living too you know.
Dad's old 1968 Empi Imp (recently recovered from under 21 years worth of boxes/dust)
GreenImp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 11:47 PM   #71

My TV is a 2004 Ram Diesel, 4x4, manual 6 speed tranny, 8 foot bed.
I have never had to have it repaired; only regular service.

surveyor 251RKS/also a 24' cuddy cab fishing boat
debit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 12:04 AM   #72

Quote:

GM replaced the def tank under warranty, both nox sensors have been replaced, six glow plugs. I don't worry about that to much but I have planned this trip for a while and to think the Silverado can go into limp mode on the Alaska highway with no cell phone service, that's what bugs me. I'm going to trade this truck for a new truck or I'm pulling all the def junk off the truck. North Carolina doesn't do a smog test on pickup trucks and it's my truck
Old 05-30-2017, 09:38 AM   #73

Correct it's your truck but a few things you should be aware of.

1. Nobody can delete the new duramaxes yet. 2017 went to the L5P engine. It has a new operating system in the ECM. Nobody has been able to crack the software yet.

2. Deleting voids the ENTIRE powertrain warranty. I would have a tough time spending 65k on a new truck and then having no warranty. If you want to delete, then delete the one you have. PM me and I can recommend some very good tuners that use EFI Live. The LML (yours) responds very well to a good tune.

3. It is just a matter of a few years before the feds make it mandatory for an OBDII check for stock programming. The tree huggers are seriously targeting these black smoke pouring teenagers trucks. They are pushing now so that before you get your truck registered, they will plug a code reader into the OBD port. Anything other than stock programming, no registration sticker.

Demco 18k Autoslide
2012 Puma Unleashed 356QLB toy hauler
Toys - CRF250X, CRF250R, CRF450R, TTR230, TRX250EX, STX-1500 jet ski
rmoore0852 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 10:02 AM   #74

Quote:
Correct it's your truck but a few things you should be aware of.

1. Nobody can delete the new duramaxes yet. 2017 went to the L5P engine. It has a new operating system in the ECM. Nobody has been able to crack the software yet.

2. Deleting voids the ENTIRE powertrain warranty. I would have a tough time spending 65k on a new truck and then having no warranty. If you want to delete, then delete the one you have. PM me and I can recommend some very good tuners that use EFI Live. The LML (yours) responds very well to a good tune.

3. It is just a matter of a few years before the feds make it mandatory for an OBDII check for stock programming. The tree huggers are seriously targeting these black smoke pouring teenagers trucks. They are pushing now so that before you get your truck registered, they will plug a code reader into the OBD port. Anything other than stock programming, no registration sticker.
I think OP meant deleting the DEF crud from his 2012. That truck is pretty much out of warranty by now I'd think.

States control whether emissions inspections are done, not the feds. And I sure hope it stays that way.

OP, a delete is exactly what I'd do if I were in your shoes.

Federal regulations mandate TPMS in vehicles now, too, which I ignore daily (TPMS warnings that is) because I don't run 80 pounds of pressure in my rear tires when the truck isn't loaded.

Old 05-30-2017, 10:46 AM   #75
Grumpy Old Curmudgeon

Interesting thread. Yes, I read all 9 pages and it is like it always had been. Some like Dodge (good truck), some like Ford (good truck), and some like GM's (good truck), Some like gas and some like diesel. It will always be that way until the internal combustion engine is outlawed.

I have had the best experiences with GM trucks. That works for me. I would hope that everyone has as good an experience with their trucks that I have had with mine.

I bought my 07 Duramax LBZ in 09. It was two years old and had 34K mi. on it. I now has 130.5K mi. and I plan on keeping it for another 1-2 hundred K mi depending. I have had some problems. Had a glow plug go bad at 120K and drove it about 5K after I got the first CEL on it. I then replaced all the GP's and got them from Rock Auto AC G9's for $10 ea. Back when we bought the travel trailer it ran great all the way back from Kansas but then the torque converter started slipping, with only 100K on it. Sooooo I completely overhauled the Allison at the house and built it to a Stage V and put a Suncoast triple disc TQ in. Got rid of that problem. Then it started overheating and I spent months researching the problem and finally realized the cooling stack was clogged. Cleaned that and replace a bunch of pulley's, belt tensioner, fan clutch, and serpentine belt and the old girl is running great.

I have been blessed that I can do my own work but am approaching the age of not being able to do as much as I once did. I don't know what I am going to do when I have to take it to a garage to have my work done. It will definitely affect our RV life style but, will deal with that when the day comes.

I hope to meet some of you at the campground some day.

Happy RVing!!
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited EcoDiesel
Marauderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 01:16 PM   #76

It wouldn't bother me if it was a glow plug or maintenance but when on the Alaska highway and hooked up to a Cedar Creek fifth wheel and no cell phone that worries me. The Silverado has been a great truck overall, the glow plugs have been a problem but once the warranty on the glow plugs stop I'll replace all of them at one time besides the truck will do just fine without a glow plug or two. The Silverado has as I write 106,000 miles, GM will keep replacing the glow plugs until 120,000 miles. I don't really want a truck payment for five more years, I wouldn't mind having a new dually and a dually would be more stable pulling my Creek. My Silverado SWR pulls my Creek great. If we were camping in the lower 48 it would not be a problem. My extra fuel tank has sprung a small leak and that I can fix but the def is not showing up on my code reader now. The question is when will the problem come back about the poor def quality and if I'm on the Alaska highway when it happens.
Old 05-30-2017, 03:43 PM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock123 View Post
It wouldn't bother me if it was a glow plug or maintenance but when on the Alaska highway and hooked up to a Cedar Creek fifth wheel and no cell phone that worries me. The Silverado has been a great truck overall, the glow plugs have been a problem but once the warranty on the glow plugs stop I'll replace all of them at one time besides the truck will do just fine without a glow plug or two. The Silverado has as I write 106,000 miles, GM will keep replacing the glow plugs until 120,000 miles. I don't really want a truck payment for five more years, I wouldn't mind having a new dually and a dually would be more stable pulling my Creek. My Silverado SWR pulls my Creek great. If we were camping in the lower 48 it would not be a problem. My extra fuel tank has sprung a small leak and that I can fix but the def is not showing up on my code reader now. The question is when will the problem come back about the poor def quality and if I'm on the Alaska highway when it happens.
Guess you need to sell your truck and buy an OLD one!

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 03:58 PM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordroo View Post
Guess you need to sell your truck and buy an OLD one!

No chance I'm buying used. Guess I'll have to pay DW Mercedes off early.
Old 06-01-2017, 09:56 PM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustman_stx View Post
Your numbers only work if you are towing 100% of the time and there is NO price difference in diesel and gasoline. While not always, diesel is very often 20-40 cents per gallon higher than gasoline. Basically what you've given is absolute best case scenario for the diesel and worst case for a gas. Another funny thing about your numbers is that the 60K mark is where the powertrain warranty typically runs out and then it's up to the owner to foot the high dollar diesel repair bills. This is coming from the owner of a 2015 F250 6.7PSD, btw. I've already had ~$3600 worth of emissions junk replaced on mine under warranty, so I'm not under any illusions that the newer diesels can be justified with monetary arguments.
My Duramax gets better mileage then our 6.0 gasser pickup everywhere. Also, diesel by me is 2.29/gallon as is regular unleaded. I've been loving the low price of diesel lately.

As far as big repair bills, I've never had one on any of my diesels except my 2007 Ford 6.0 Powerstroke. Had to replace the FICM at 103,000... last time I had a Ford. Went Dodge and now Duramax and will stay with my GMC.
TV: 2016 GMC 3500 Denali - Motor Ops Tuned
Days Camped 2016: 28
Days Camped 2017: 25 so far
DocGTO is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
3500, 500