Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-12-2018, 10:10 AM   #81

John, your looking for trouble here. Never tow anywhere close to maximum on trailer or truck. These numbers are put together to sell trucks and they are marginal at best. All manufacturers are suspect. Not all roads are flat. You will never get 22MPG as someone stated. Whenever you are anywhere close to max weights in truck and trailer you will have braking and overheat problems where ever you go let alone out west where no roads are flat.

Towing trailers for over 65 years both commercial and for pleasure I always leave a 20-30% margin under the manufacturer's numbers as a rule of thumb. Your pushing the envelope and putting yourself, your family and those of us on the same roads in harms way.

You must subconsciously know this already and have doubts or you would not be asking all of us for our opinions. Get a larger truck that is good for at least 11-12,000 pound towing capacity if not 15-17,000.

Jack
jaherbst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 09:11 PM   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredSoldier919 View Post
Since the wife and I are approximately 500lbs combined, that should equalize the weight on both TV axles. Neither of us were in the TV during weigh in.

That was not a good idea. You both needed to be in the truck when it was weighed. Based on your combined weights, you will be way over weight on the payload when you add the tongue weight even with the WDH. You need a much larger truck. It is a numbers game and the numbers must line up for everything to work out right.
elchilero53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 09:50 PM   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by elchilero53 View Post
That was not a good idea. You both needed to be in the truck when it was weighed. Based on your combined weights, you will be way over weight on the payload when you add the tongue weight even with the WDH. You need a much larger truck. It is a numbers game and the numbers must line up for everything to work out right.
Respectfully, I disagree. My truck's max payload is 1693lbs.

Wife & I = 465lbs
Tongue weight = Approximately 600lbs

So how am I over the payload?
RetiredSoldier919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 10:03 PM   #84

Quote:
2016 Silverado 4.3L V6. Automatic, LT 4x4, 6.6 bed, double cab. With trailering package.
That 4.3 will struggle at your weights . good engine but not meant for towing in a 1/2 ton . it was fine in the s10's . get a 6.0 and you'll be towing easy
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 12:23 AM   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR.M View Post
That 4.3 will struggle at your weights . good engine but not meant for towing in a 1/2 ton . it was fine in the s10's . get a 6.0 and you'll be towing easy
At this point I have to disagree. I've driven with the TT towed by this truck a few times so far. And it handles it fine. I've not noticed any struggle for the truck to pull the TT on the highway with semi after semi passing me with no effect on the TT. I haven't even installed the WD hitch yet. Of course these rides are with the TT not loaded. I'm not planning on loading more than a few hundred pounds of gear. The wife and I travel light and I plan to lighten the TT with some modifications. See my other thread for specifics "shedding some weight". There are plenty of opportunities to reduce the weight by removing some factory installed frills.
Old 07-13-2018, 03:31 PM   #86

Quote:
At this point I have to disagree. I've driven with the TT towed by this truck a few times so far. And it handles it fine. I've not noticed any struggle for the truck to pull the TT on the highway with semi after semi passing me with no effect on the TT. I haven't even installed the WD hitch yet. Of course these rides are with the TT not loaded. I'm not planning on loading more than a few hundred pounds of gear. The wife and I travel light and I plan to lighten the TT with some modifications. See my other thread for specifics "shedding some weight". There are plenty of opportunities to reduce the weight by removing some factory installed frills.

it's not the truck it's the engine . the 4.3 is small and if i'm correct you stated around 7600 lbs tt ? it's all good going down hill . I had several 4.3 awesome engines but i would tow more then maybe 4500 lbs . to each there own . good luck and safe travels
Old 07-13-2018, 11:59 PM   #87
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

Quote:
it's not the truck it's the engine . the 4.3 is small and if i'm correct you stated around 7600 lbs tt ? it's all good going down hill . I had several 4.3 awesome engines but i would tow more then maybe 4500 lbs . to each there own . good luck and safe travels
He's talked himself into pulling his trailer with an overloaded truck...

Seems there is nothing we can do now...

Except stay out of his way and off of the same road to keep ourselves safe!

I despise it when people start quoting 'numbers'...

Because numbers lie as often as they don't, and are not always meant to be followed, but more as a guide to caution!

JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 07:58 AM   #88

He will learn the hard way. First accident and the insurance will not pay and he gets sued for Liability. Only then will reality sink in. First thing accident lawyers look for is weights. He is not including passengers, drivers, hitch weight, WDH weight etc.

Like the old saying; You can take a Horse to water but you can't make him drink!

Jack
jaherbst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 08:36 AM   #89

So the two of you have chosen to attack my risk assessment., and not provide specific details on why you take your stance.

By my calculations I see there is room for error.
My truck has a capacity of 7600lbs
My trailer weight is 4560lbs
So I'll round the figures just to make it even more on the side of caution.

7000 - 5000 = 2000lbs

I plan on loading nowhere near 2000lbs. 1000lbs max.
As far tongue weight. I've calculated it to be 600 - 700lbs with gear loaded.
So weight on the hitch would be
700lbs + 500lbs = 1200lbs.
So where am I wrong? Where am I risking lives?
Old 07-14-2018, 08:46 AM   #90

Quote:
So the two of you have chosen to attack my risk assessment., and not provide specific details on why you take your stance.

7000 - 5000 = 2000lbs

Just do you. If you are comfortable with what you have just be safe and have fun. I see people who pull in a lot worse off than what you are doing. I was at a camp last week a guy pulled in on an older tundra with a big fifthwheel. Hey was on his bump stops. This guy is doing it in a 1500 as well but he is much better off. Not saying I would but it is not me or my trailer.Click image for larger version

Name:	20180711_204148.jpeg
Views:	62
Size:	46.1 KB
ID:	179501
robbiels7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 11:43 AM   #91

Quote:

7000 - 5000 = 2000lbs

your weights may seem good and have no issues with the 1500 weight capacity . It's the puny 4.3 liter that will make you un-happy if you had say the 5.3 you would enjoy the tow much better . like i've mentioned i've own a few 4.3's great engine but not so great towing the weights your hauling . jmho
Old 07-14-2018, 11:54 AM   #92

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaherbst View Post
He will learn the hard way. First accident and the insurance will not pay and he gets sued for Liability. Only then will reality sink in. First thing accident lawyers look for is weights. He is not including passengers, drivers, hitch weight, WDH weight etc.

Like the old saying; You can take a Horse to water but you can't make him drink!

Jack

I've heard this mentioned many times have yet to ever hear of anyone ever getting weighed after an accident or an insurance company not paying out . is this fact or just internet fiction ?
Old 07-14-2018, 01:22 PM   #93
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

Quote:
I've heard this mentioned many times have yet to ever hear of anyone ever getting weighed after an accident or an insurance company not paying out . is this fact or just internet fiction ?
To me that is not an issue...

What I am concerned about is the safety of anyone in that tow vehicle and trailer setup...

Plus anyone who happens to be within 300 yards of it while rolling!

Remember...

Doesn't matter what you can pull...but what can you stop!

JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 02:56 PM   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnD10 View Post

What I am concerned about is the safety of anyone in that tow vehicle and trailer setup...

Remember...

in his 1/2 ton he shouldn't have a problem stopping . it's getting it going that he'll have issues . disc brakes all around and tt brakes .he should be good . most 3/4 and 1 ton trucks share the same axles and brakes except for Dulles's which will have more rubber on the road . properly adjusted trailer brakes are a must and most often over looked . PS i've seen pa few 1 tons pulling moderate sized TT's and for some reason they still have accidents .
Old 07-14-2018, 04:14 PM   #95

Quote:

Remember...

Absolutely no problems with stopping. And I haven't even installed the EBC yet.
Old 07-14-2018, 04:28 PM   #96

Quote:
in his 1/2 ton he shouldn't have a problem stopping . it's getting it going that he'll have issues . disc brakes all around and tt brakes .he should be good . most 3/4 and 1 ton trucks share the same axles and brakes except for Dulles's which will have more rubber on the road . properly adjusted trailer brakes are a must and most often over looked . PS i've seen pa few 1 tons pulling moderate sized TT's and for some reason they still have accidents .
I don't understand why the assumption that I have problems with 4.3l having enough power to pull. I have no problems getting her going. I don't even have to press the gas half way. Of course I'd like to have a stronger engine.
Old 07-14-2018, 05:03 PM   #97

Quote:
Respectfully, I disagree. My truck's max payload is 1693lbs.

Wife & I = 465lbs
Tongue weight = Approximately 600lbs

So how am I over the payload?

That's fine. The posted payload is not always correct. You need to take the truck with you, your bride, and a full tank of gas and weight it. Subtract the result from your GVWR number. The result is you ACTUAL payload that remains. I had to learn this the hard way myself. I thought using my payload numbers that were on the truck less our weights plus the hitch & spring bars and the kitty plus their stuff would be correct. What came back was scary and not even close to what was estimated based on the numbers posted on the door frame. It was hundreds of pounds less that what I calculated.

This may be a tempest in tea pot but better safe than sorry.
elchilero53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 10:25 AM   #98

Quote:
I pulled two different TT's with a Dodge Ram 1500 5.9L Magnum engine...

Pulled great and did it for years...

Until one day when I was finally confronted with that tiny little 5-inch gap in a cloud of tire smoke where I slid to a stop between me and the guy in front of me who suddenly stopped on a dime to make a left turn in a driveway on a blind curve.

Having nowhere close to pull over and change my shorts, I continued home and started looking for a bigger truck!

If you are close to the limit you really need to think about what you can stop...not what can you pull!

I totally agree with this. I had a 2010 Silverado 1500 and while it didn't tow the TT great, it did the job. The thing it didnt do so well was stop the TT. I however didn't realize how bad it was till i just bought my new F250. The first time i towed with the new truck and had to stop, it was like there wasn't even anything behind me and i felt a instant calm come over me because i felt like my family was MUCH safer. the stopping is so much more important that the towing imo.
dtkunkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 06:16 PM   #99

Quote:
Absolutely no problems with stopping. And I haven't even installed the EBC yet.

Your truck would be marginal if you had a weight distribution hitch and a brake controller. And you have neither. I can't believe you've already been on the road without a brake controller! If I was your 1st Sgt I'd have you on the carpet for that alone. You are literally an accident waiting to happen. Not to mention it's highly illegal to pull that kind of weight without trailer brakes that are functioning.
AlaskaErik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 08:16 PM   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
Your truck would be marginal if you had a weight distribution hitch and a brake controller. And you have neither. I can't believe you've already been on the road without a brake controller! If I was your 1st Sgt I'd have you on the carpet for that alone. You are literally an accident waiting to happen. Not to mention it's highly illegal to pull that kind of weight without trailer brakes that are functioning.
I have both. Haven't installed either yet. That comes this weekend. However, I will say again, I've had no problem pulling or stopping the TT. So from here it can only get better. I've pulled many Uhauls with this truck, fully loaded and from Florida to Kansas. The truck has more power than you folks give it credit.