Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-25-2010, 11:51 PM   #41
Moderator Emeritus

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockwood06 View Post
One thing I don't like about the 1/2 ton or the heavy duty 1/2 ton is the receiver, a class III is standard, when I put my hitch into the receiver there is too much play and GM will not supply a class IV for any 1/2 ton, the class IV is standard on the 3/4 ton only, with a class IV the hitch fits snug as it did on my 3/4 ton GMC Suburban, and from what I understand one can not get an after market class IV receiver for a GM 1/2 ton pick-up at least not for my 2008.
I don't know the ratings of a Class III vs IV hitch, but the reason GM may not put the Class IV on a 1/2 ton is to prevent people towing too much? Then again, you can pretty much put any hitch ball on a ball mount.

https://inlinethumb45.webshots.com/3...600x600Q85.jpg
revrnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 09:20 AM   #42
Villa Estate 392FLFB

I don't know if it has been covered yet in this thread but DO NOT SHIFT TO MANUAL when moving!! We had a crew truck with this transmission (only chev in the fleet to lol) and I was with the crew chief on a job shortly after he got the truck. On the highway he goes "what does this do?" and puts it into "M" and we go from 100km/hr to a nose dive in the highway as it goes into 1st gear... with several thousand pounds of gear in the box and cab of the truck + a quad on the deck ontop of the box..
Old 10-26-2010, 07:31 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by revrnd View Post
I don't know the ratings of a Class III vs IV hitch, but the reason GM may not put the Class IV on a 1/2 ton is to prevent people towing too much? Then again, you can pretty much put any hitch ball on a ball mount.
That is why you can not get a class IV for any 1/2 ton, GM like other manufactures have to do the thinking for others and stop people from doing that, over loading the tow capacity and weight on the receivers, this is one reason I do not remove the spring bars on my hitch system when I back into a camping site.
Now the first pic is the receiver on my 2008 heavy duty 1/2 ton and is a class III, As you can see that the construction is single wall.

The rating on this receiver is....5,000 lbs maximum trailer weight with a maximum tongue weight of 600 lbs. This is with out any weight distribution just straight up towing.

The second rating on the receiver is with "weight distribution, 10,500 maximum trailer weight and 1,100 lbs maximum tongue weight.

The second pic is a class IV which is on my old tow vehicle which was a 1997GMC Suburban 3/4 ton, as you can see it has a double wall construction, I do not have the info on this receiver but from what I remember it is rated for a 12,500 lbs maximum weight trailer with a weight distribution system.

The newer class IV receivers from GM on the 3/4 ton are not double wall constructed and welded they have an insert or sleeve that slides into the receiver before the hitch go's in....I don't know why they just don't weld the darn thing in place.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	class III receiver.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	3732   Click image for larger version

Name:	class IV receiver.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	3733  
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 10:26 PM   #44
Moderator Emeritus

Question

Quote:
The newer class IV receivers from GM on the 3/4 ton are not double wall constructed and welded they have an insert or sleeve that slides into the receiver before the hitch go's in....I don't know why they just don't weld the darn thing in place.
Are you talking about the 2011s? Yes, there is a reducer to go from 2 1/2" to 2". If the reducer was welded in, would that not make the receiver useless for anyone w/ a 2 1/2" hitch?

https://inlinethumb45.webshots.com/3...600x600Q85.jpg
revrnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 03:41 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by reverend View Post
Are you talking about the 2011s? Yes, there is a reducer to go from 2 1/2" to 2". If the reducer was welded in, would that not make the receiver useless for anyone w/ a 2 1/2" hitch?
I do know that in 2008 GM had an insert because I question them as to why my hitch was sloppy in the 2008 pick up and not in the Suburban, that's when they handed me the insert, but the insert would not go in to the receiver and that is when I found out that there was a difference between the receivers.

As far as a 2 1/2" hitch to be quit frank with you I have never herd or seen one, but at the same time it would seem to me that if there is a 2 1/2" hitch for a receiver then I would think that it would require more support then a single walled constructed receiver.
Old 10-27-2010, 08:51 AM   #46

Quote:
I do know that in 2008 GM had an insert because I question them as to why my hitch was sloppy in the 2008 pick up and not in the Suburban, that's when they handed me the insert, but the insert would not go in to the receiver and that is when I found out that there was a difference between the receivers.

As far as a 2 1/2" hitch to be quit frank with you I have never herd or seen one, but at the same time it would seem to me that if there is a 2 1/2" hitch for a receiver then I would think that it would require more support then a single walled constructed receiver.
We use the 2 1/2" hitch all the time on the 3/4's we use in the oilfield. Especially with a three way ball.

2008 Chevy CCab 5.3L 4WD Z71
2008 FR Surveyor 291
Champion Genset
Slpybear, Mrs Slpybear, Three Cubs
slpybeartx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 08:54 AM   #47
Site Team - Lou

I agree. The Class IV receiver on the GMC HDs can handle the 2 1/2 inch shank and associated loads just fine. Its a pretty "beefy" arrangement.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 04:24 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by slpybeartx View Post
We use the 2 1/2" hitch all the time on the 3/4's we use in the oilfield. Especially with a three way ball.
Thanks for the education, I did not know.
Old 10-27-2010, 04:24 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Stuff View Post
I don't know if it has been covered yet in this thread but DO NOT SHIFT TO MANUAL when moving!! We had a crew truck with this transmission (only chev in the fleet to lol) and I was with the crew chief on a job shortly after he got the truck. On the highway he goes "what does this do?" and puts it into "M" and we go from 100km/hr to a nose dive in the highway as it goes into 1st gear... with several thousand pounds of gear in the box and cab of the truck + a quad on the deck ontop of the box..
I can see where that would be a problem. On my 2010, shifting into M at any speed leaves the transmission in the gear it is already in, and simply lets you then change to other gears using the up and down button. Sounds like the one you describe wasn't working properly. I've never had a problem doing it on mine.

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 04:36 PM   #50
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjones12 View Post
I can see where that would be a problem. On my 2010, shifting into M at any speed leaves the transmission in the gear it is already in, and simply lets you then change to other gears using the up and down button. Sounds like the one you describe wasn't working properly. I've never had a problem doing it on mine.
I have been thinking about this as well. Next time I am in the truck, and in a safe area, I will try this. I seem to recall the one time I used M:? to try engine breaking it was in the current gear and I had to "button down" manually. I truly don't remember now. I will check next time I go out.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 01:10 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
I have the Allison transmission option with my Duramax (it is ONLY available on the diesel). I LOVE IT.

Although a very expensive option when I ordered the truck (my dealer had NEVER ordered it "for the lot" before because of that), the trans shifts flawlessly and has an external filter that can be changed easily (even after every long trip if you want to since its a spin on). Tow/Haul mode uses all six gears (just changes the shift profile for when the shift occurs) and up/down shifts automatically for best uphill and downhill speed control. The top two gears are OVERDRIVE gears and we get pretty good fuel mileage hitched or not (though do NOT buy it for fuel economy as it is not much better than the stock 6 speed auto trans and the break even would be several lifetimes).

X2

The Allison trannys are just about bulletproof as long as you maintain them properly. I just wish they were rated for a bit more torque because you can only add around 70-80 additional HP to the motor (easily done with any programmer) before you begin to shorten the life of a stock Allison 1000. If you build them with HD clutches, it's almost sky's the limit for torque capability. Still love the Duramax/Allison combo though!