Old 07-30-2010, 08:15 PM   #1

Silverado towing advice needed

I just traded my '05 Silverado for a 2010. The old one had the tow/haul button, as does the new one. But the new one also has Grade Braking as part of the tow-haul system. The Grade Braking function does not work while the truck is in the manual transmission mode, where you can choose which of the 6 gears you want the truck to be in. So, if I'm understanding this correctly, I could select a gear manually for going up a steep grade, but when going down, I should use the tow/haul mode to let the Grade Braking system help control the descent by responding to speed, engine torque and brake pedal usage. I know I could use the manual gear selector to go down, but it sounds to me like the Grade Braking might do a better job. Does this sound right to you guys who tow with the newer Silverados? I hope my description isn't too confusing. I had to read it three times in the manual to get it straight in my mind. Thanks.

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 11:03 PM   #2

Mjones12,Use the tow/haul mode any time you tow.Let the motor and transmission do their thing.I drive an 09,and the only time I use the manual gear select is when I am going up hill and do not want the tranny searching for gears.The manual shift is not really made for down shifting.It's so the truck will not go above a certain gear.Just my 2 cents.
Happy camping.

Old 07-31-2010, 01:37 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

This subject is of interest to me as I'll be replacing my current TV w/ a 2011 K2500HD. I drove a 1500 series last fall on a trip to Charlotte last fall, but we weren't towing.

So if you're going down a grade you don't downshift? Isn't that hard on the brakes?
Nights camped 2011: 17
Nights camped 2012: 8
https://inlinethumb45.webshots.com/3...600x600Q85.jpg
revrnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 09:26 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by revrnd View Post
This subject is of interest to me as I'll be replacing my current TV w/ a 2011 K2500HD. I drove a 1500 series last fall on a trip to Charlotte last fall, but we weren't towing.

So if you're going down a grade you don't downshift? Isn't that hard on the brakes?
Revrnd: Yes, in the old truck, going downhill I would downshift to the same gear I used for going up. It's just that the tow-haul mode on the new truck has a Grade Braking Function that monitors all the conditions going downhill and reacts accordingly. I was just asking if anyone knows whether that system works better than manually downshifting. I haven't been able to try it yet. I always use the tow/haul mode when towing, but manually selecting a gear on this truck would override the Grade Braking function of tow/haul, if I am reading the manual correctly.

Old 07-31-2010, 10:23 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjones12 View Post
I haven't been able to try it yet.
I'm not sure whereabouts in NC, Lexington is, but a trip up I-77 to Fancy Gap & back south towards Charlotte, would probably be a good test.
Nights camped 2011: 17
Nights camped 2012: 8
https://inlinethumb45.webshots.com/3...600x600Q85.jpg
revrnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 10:28 AM   #6

You are correct mjones12,it does over ride.If you are in T/H mode just touch the brake and the truck will start down shifting to help slow you down.
Old 07-31-2010, 02:13 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracker View Post
You are correct mjones12,it does over ride.If you are in T/H mode just touch the brake and the truck will start down shifting to help slow you down.
Thanks, Tracker. That's exactly what I needed to know. The manual does not say how the grade braking actually kicks in, but touching the brake makes sense. Thanks so much. This site is better than an owner's manual because there are people out there who have real-time experience. Can't beat it. Now I can try this procedure with confidence.

Revrnd: You are right. Fancy Gap is not too far from me. It would definitely be a good test. Also, we also travel to Asheville, up and down Old Fort Mountain, which seems to be an even steeper grade, but maybe not as long as Fancy Gap. We will definitely try it and report back. Anyway, it sounds like a great feature that you will probably enjoy on your new truck when you get it. Our old Silverado was such a great truck. 93,000 miles in five years and was never in the shop for anything other than having the brake rotors turned a couple of times, probably due to towing. There are many good trucks out there, but I could not ask for any better service than that. I hope the new one is as good.

Old 08-01-2010, 05:47 PM   #8

I have the feature on my '08 Denali and yes, when you tap the brake on a down hill it kicks in and shifts down automatically and dramatically reduces the speed and does a pretty good job of keeping you off the brakes on down hill decents.
2011 Chevy 2500HD - DuraMax (Just over 5000 miles now!)
Nights camped in 2014 - 21
tomjsas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 03:48 PM   #9

I have a '09 2500 HD. And yes the engine brake does work in the M position as well in the D postion with the tow/haul button activated. Pretty slick litty tranny the 6 speed is. I usually tow my 27RBEC in M5 as it will shift back and forth in D. Best mileage so far has been 9.3 mpg. Yesterday I got 8!
Old 08-02-2010, 04:42 PM   #10

Thanks, Tom and Mac. Good info. Would you guys still recommend using a manual gear going UP a steep grade? Or leave it in tow/haul?