Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-18-2013, 01:19 PM   #1

Single vs Tandem axle TT

We are looking at one of the Mini Lite travel trailers as our next RV but we are concerned with a single axle not being as safe or towing as well as a tandem axle trailer.
The carrying capacity of a tandem axle TT is much greater that a single axle but what are the other pros and cons to each? Tow vehicle is 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo RWD with V6 engine, factory tow pkg. and and automatic trans. Just looking for advice from people who know about these thing or have actual experience with each setup.

Thank you.
Mthiker33
mthiker33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 01:32 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mthiker33 View Post
We are looking at one of the Mini Lite travel trailers as our next RV but we are concerned with a single axle not being as safe or towing as well as a tandem axle trailer.
The carrying capacity of a tandem axle TT is much greater that a single axle but what are the other pros and cons to each? Tow vehicle is 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo RWD with V6 engine, factory tow pkg. and and automatic trans. Just looking for advice from people who know about these thing or have actual experience with each setup.

Thank you.
Mthiker33
When.... I did not say 'if'..... when you have a tire go flat/explode, you will be very glad that you have that extra axle to hold the camper up and in a straight line as you slow down to stop it. I see these pop-up campers that fly by me at 75/80 mph and pray for their safety when one of their tires go flat and the unit will land flipped over.

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 01:36 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

I like tandem, but don't get too caught up in the number of axles. I think floorplan and towing capacities for your vehicle are the primary issues to consider.

But, to answer your question, tandem tracks down the road better and "feels" more stable towing than single-axle trailer in my experience. Also, it always seemed to me the redundancy of four tires would help in the case of a blowout (which I've never had so take that FWIW).

Single axles are more maneuverable.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 11:59 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triguy View Post
I like tandem, but don't get too caught up in the number of axles. I think floorplan and towing capacities for your vehicle are the primary issues to consider.

But, to answer your question, tandem tracks down the road better and "feels" more stable towing than single-axle trailer in my experience. Also, it always seemed to me the redundancy of four tires would help in the case of a blowout (which I've never had so take that FWIW).

Single axles are more maneuverable.
X2. Tandem tends to be more stable but there are more important things to look at such as your TV, hitch, load distribution, and brakes to name a few. I wouldn't make my decision based on axles unless I were looking to run over 3500 lbs.
tanddc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 10:30 PM   #5

My TT is a mini lite model ETC181 (model now replaced by 190x series) with single axle using 14" tires. The single axle is easy to maneuver and has GVWR of 3704. Use of WDH is required. Checking tires for air pressure and any sidewall damage is more important with 2 vs 4 tires. You will have good experience with single axle. Really comes down to TV capability and floorplan meeting your family needs. Good luck in your final selection.
Prodigy P3, E2 WDH
rschoono289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 11:53 PM   #6

Single vs Tandem axle TT

I want to thank everyone who has replied to my original thread. I hear pros and cons to each setup and I really think the safest setup is the tandem axle TT. It is tough to find a light weight travel trailer with tandem axles that is under or near 3,000 lbs.; which is want we are looking for.
We have been looking and researching for months and will continue to look. I am fairly certain that the RV Industry has begun to try to fill the need for light weight travel trailers that are SUV and light truck towable.
If we don't find what we like today it may be available soon.
Thanks again.

Mthiker33
mthiker33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 05:29 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mthiker33 View Post

Thank you.
Mthiker33
You can still move on (2,3,or4) but not (1). Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 06:56 AM   #8

tandem for sure

I had a blowout years ago on a tandem boat trailer, other than some minor vibration, effect was minimal. had a safe stop and changover
stevem is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axle