Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-25-2013, 01:51 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugged Brown View Post
I've towed with a gas and a diesel pulling the same camper and I do not see an appreciable difference in the mileage. Same applies when not towing.
I have also towed the same with our first camper, both got 9MPG , on the same road the 6.0 would be in 4th and 2nd in the hills but the 6.6 would stay in 6th almost everwhere, now I see 12mpg with the 5er and everyone I have ever talked to with same weight trailer towed with a gas see 9. could not believe the diff between the TT and 5er and the 5er is 5k heaver and larger

06 LBZ ,CC 4x
lots of mods
Superglide
jevanb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 01:54 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefly1 View Post
We have the 6.7 Cummins in a Dodge mega cab and absolutely love it. We just passed through 50K with no issues.
should have added 13.2 MPG towing 3200 miles between Ca to Mt and back which is over some serious hills. We get 17 just driving around and our mileage has been improving as I add miles starting at around 30K.
chiefly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 05:04 PM   #23
Phat Phrogs Incognito...

I would agree that the up front cost of a new DRW diesel TV (add your faviorite and required options) is expensive.

But if you're only going to drive maybe 3K to 7K a year, I would suggest that there is nothing wrong with saving a LOT of money by buying a used unit with anything under 200K miles on the clock. Research it, get a car fax (or other record) and have it checked out by a competent mechanic who is familiar with the make / model.

We bought our 2007 F350 in 2009. It had 148K miles and was in outstanding condition. I checked it out very thoroughly. We paid $11,300 and the original window sticker (in the glove box) said $42,800.

4 years later, we've put 30K miles on it and we believe we made a good choice going that route.

As was stated earlier, and I agree, I think all the of the big guys make good tow rigs and I would be happy in any of the brands. Might be some certain models or years I would steer clear of. Best of lock in your decision!

Tina + Dutch and Bell, Bobo, Harley, Buddy (the dogs)
2011 F350 Lariat 4x4 DRW SuperCrew 6.7L (B&W setup w/Air Lift 5000 Ultimate)
2014 Columbus 365RL (Airflex and Voyager package)
Nights Camped 2014 - 154, 2015 - 32, 2016 - 4
DutchF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 05:39 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by fincher View Post
Late this fall I weighed the truck by itself with me in it and a full tank of gas and the hitch it came in at 7100 lbs. When I weighed them together I didn't do just the truck with the camper hooked up. I don't haul anything extra in the truck except for the wife and kids. That should be around another 300lbs. So that gets the total up to 7500 lbs. With a gvwr of 8900 lbs it became clear I was going to be over on payload. When we were looking at it the dealer was pushing us to get a bigger one. When I asked the dealer if I was OK on my weights they said I would be fine. They wanted the sale not worrying of safety!
When I was looking at a new rv lot in Paris, TX. I asked about what my truck would do. They said "Do you have a half or 3/4 ton?" I said 3/4... he said it would pull anything they had. They had some LARGE trailers there... $75K or so. I didn't argue, but I knew better.
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 10:40 PM   #25

I have a gas, SRW truck
3,400 lbs payload
15,000 lbs fifth wheel towing

Ford SRW diesel can give you up to 4,900 lbs payload and up to 23,200 lbs fifth wheel towing.

Dually numbers can be substantially higher.
Twisty is offline   Reply With Quote